Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FluidFire

Black with red metallic wash help please :)

11 posts in this topic

Sooo... I spent several hours doing a black base coat on armor.. 8 layers of highlighting.. looks frigging AWESOME.

Think "yeah I want this evil badguy to have evil red tinted armor"

So I mix up some carnage red and honed steel 2:1 and thin it waaaay down

Brush it over his meticulously highlighted shaded metallic shield to lay down a TMM base as a test.

And .. get a pink tinted shield.

MY EVIL BOSS KNIGHT'S SHIELD IS NOW FAINTLY PINK.

I am sooo happy I did that on his shield instead of the meticulously highlighted, very detailed plate armor.

Someone help, please.. please help me... what wash can I build to use to get a very dark TMM shaded metallic red-toned armor...???

Edited by FluidFire

Maybe start with 09124 Adamantium Black?

Also, pink armor is just so... evil...

Maybe start with 09124 Adamantium Black?

Also, pink armor is just so... evil...

Right now it's base coated Pure Black,and highlighted up in the light catching spots with stone shadow, 1:1 stone shadow/stone, stone, 1:1 stone/weathered stone, weathered stone, 1:1 weathered stone/white, and white. (7 layers of highlight)

If I threw a very diluted honed steel on it right now, it'd look pretty wicked, but .. how to get a dark red hue? 

I do have Adamantium Black - what should I mix in with it? Carnage red, maybe? Then dilute as a wash?

I want the armor to be very slightly tinted red; I will likely do carnage red trim, when I get to detailing. (The shield also has the flame stuff on it)

And pink armor is NOT evil. 

Well, it might be evil. But it's not very intimidating. ;)

Miniature in question is this guy:

https://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/03109/latest/03109

Edited by FluidFire

Do you need to mix the red with another colour?

Won't a straight red wash of some sort give the same effect if it's thin enough?

And pink IS evil. Not intimidating, maybe, but definitely evil.

If I ever get my unstoppable army and take over the world, I'll make certain there's pink prominently on the uniforms.

(Actually, it'll help me on the 'take over' part. No one expects someone wearing pink to slaughter them all)

When I thin red, it tints the black base coat.. well, pink. :)

Ruby red + dilution = pink

Blood red + dilution = pink

Carnage red + dilution = pink

They all LOOK red in the paint tray but when I apply as a wash... PINK.

I combined ruby red + carnage red + thinned honed steel (for the flakes), diluted to a wash, and I came up with a pinkish color that'd go wonderfully on my wife's nails.

(Which is currently also wonderfully adorning my evil night's shield face.. lol)

Edited by FluidFire

You could try making a glaze rather than a wash, using a somewhat thinned acrylic medium. Good quality artists watercolours are pretty transparent yet have a good pigment density, especially highly staining pigments like Alizarin Crimson.

1 person likes this

Ahh heck. I feel like an idiot.

It wasn't thinning the reds that turned them pink.

It was the frigging honed steel I was adding for the flake.

If I separate that, I can do what I want without it turning pink. :)

THEN I'll do a very diluted honed steel over the top of everything, to bring back a little reflection.

OK the world has been saved from pink death knights... for NOW.

The part that makes me sad (sort of) is the whole part of the process where I built up highlights using graytone was pretty well erased and re-done doing red-tones. So I wasted a couple hours of highlighting. :(

Oh well, lessons learned, and all that. :)

(Honed steel is only going on points of reflection anyway, the vast majority of the figure is not using any metallics at all... it should have been done as a final highlight step to add a little shimmer in certain points)

Edited by FluidFire
1 person likes this

I think a straight red (maybe deeper, like a red closer to black and very warm) would do the trick.  Mixing in an opaque metallic paint will give you the pink because there's often some actual paint in the metallics--think yellow in gold, red in copper, etc.

I've been there making the same (happy?) mistake. I ended up with lilac armor instead of my intended dark blue. It was definitely one for the oops column in my painting notebook.

I'm glad you got it worked out.

OK the world has been saved from pink death knights... for NOW.

:down:

::P:

Try a wash/light layer of Tamiya clear red over the metal armor?