Sign in to follow this  
Pingo

Good picture reference for modern urban street dioramas

I just found a nice secondhand photography book which reminded me that if you are looking for visual references for city streets & alleys, the photography of Bob Thall is extraordinary.

It's mostly black-and-white, but he examines details of the urban environment that most other photographers gloss over.

• Like 4

I just found a nice secondhand photography book which reminded me that if you are looking for visual references for city streets & alleys, the photography of Bob Thall is extraordinary.

It's mostly black-and-white, but he examines details of the urban environment that most other photographers gloss over.

Should post some pics on here (as long as they aren't copyrighted), can be this book or any other art/pics from the interwebs. We can use this just like that more nature-fantasy oriented thread to give inspiration/ideas for dioramas and vignettes.

I've got a bunch of pics I've taken of the architecture and graffiti in one of the local cities if anybody would like me to post a few...

q52o.jpg

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 6

I almost read "Undead Biscuits"...I might have a problem...

Yes please, show pics.

• Like 1

I almost read "Undead Biscuits"...I might have a problem...

Yes please, show pics.

If you have a problem then it's one we share. I read it as undead too.

• Like 2

I'll take a couple days to go through my massive amount of pics and find the three or four good ones, lol...

Actually, I have to go through all my stuff and curate the good ones, and then resize them because all of it is still in the original state it came off my camera...

eAvpK8.jpg

LQzvkw.jpg

uIuc27.jpg

Uk0hVw.jpg

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By BLZeebub
      I started this in a WIP and have finally finished my first background for taking pictures.  This one is made with fairly lightweight watercolor paper.  I taped it down tight, primed with gesso, and built up from light to dark layers (all cheap craft paints).  The concept was for the whole thing to appear nebulous, as a dark cloud with obscured lighter flashes.  I think it turned out pretty close to my vision.  The half-painted creatures are just my first test shot with the background.  My phone camera did occasionally try to focus on the background, so on the next attempt (some kind of brighter theme) I will try to soften the edges (paint started to dapple on the blacks and grays).  What do you think?

WIP here:  http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/83003-attempting-to-paint-generic-backgrounds-for-miniature-photography/&tab=comments#comment-1760821

For those curious, the bug is primed in Reaper brush on primer, black, and it's carapace has two coats of Golden's Interference (purple-green) paint.  Boxy is clean Bones, primed with Brown Liner with Old West Rose fleshy bits.  They'll get their own WIP soon.

• By Rat13
      Recently I moved from an apartment in a house, complete with a small yard, to an apartment building with a parking lot. Since I like to use Krylon spray primer I knew losing that yard would be a problem. So I thought about it and think I've come up with a solution.

I took a copy paper box and lined it with a plastic tarp. The basic idea is to secure the miniatures at the back of the box and spray them one side at a time. That way the spray can would be inside the box while spraying with the liner stopping any paint bleeding through and keeping the mist contained inside the box. 

At the back of the lot there is an area where no one parks because it's pretty tight even for a small car (so there's no chance to hit a car). Testing there should be fine though I'm going to setup off the pavement in the brush just in case (I want to test the idea before I trust it on pavement).

I should be able to test the affectionately named "Complaint Box" on Sunday unless something comes up.

I'm hoping this idea works, but am open to others excluding switching primers that is. Has anyone else tried something like this or have a way to spray prime in the city?
    • By Genghis_Sean
      I recall reading an excellent tutorial a long time ago regarding how best to shoot one's finished minis, but I've been unable to find it.  I largely suck at it.  I'd like to acquire a background against which to shoot, and I don't know from where I could purchase one.  I need to know what kind of lighting is best.  I think I read that you need at least two light sources, and I wondered if a certain kind of bulb was best.  If anybody has the link to that tutorial, I'd like to go over it.  Thanks.
    • By lexomatic
      This is ending in 50 hours... Haven't seen it posted. There's a thread from 2015 for other tiles. I'm intrigued by the digital option.

• By TheAuldGrump
      Not specific to any particular campaign or RPG - just a place for folks to share adventure seeds for urban fantasy campaigns, since it came up on another thread.

[Dark] The players are hired by a necromancer to learn who murdered one of his corpses. She was engaged to be wed the day before he purchased her remains, and is not happy about being dead....

[Humorous] The Goblin bard and his band has cast Irresistible dance, and to the players' horror... it is a polka.

The Auld Grump
  • Who's Online   26 Members, 0 Anonymous, 65 Guests (See full list)