Archangelrey

Paint Track Apps?

34 minutes ago, CourageousOctopus said:

Might be an issue with the hardware. It basically just requests the camera and then shows it in the window. Maybe PM me your device. It takes about 2 seconds on my devices.

Just pushed a new update that includes the removal of those Reaper dupes. See you guys at ReaperCon on Saturday! We're going to be giving away a Reaper paint set if you come by and sign up for the draw.

Looks like you're right on that one, thank you for the help. I rebooted my phone and now the color match function comes up quickly, works perfectly. I have to say that even though your app is ahead of the competition, this new feature skyrockets it past all others!

Also, I demand that you have fun at Reapercon. There's no compromise with this!

• Like 6

@CourageousOctopus

My wife and I picked up the Paint Rack App over the weekend (full paid version for each of us), and we love it. It will really make my life better (once I get my paint entered of course). Because I'm me (:rolleyes:), some comments:

1. Paint Rack and Reaper both list RMS 09004 as Fire Red. My bottle says Bright Red. I suspect it was a name change years ago, but just in case anyone else sees this, you're not alone.
  2. Yellow Reaper paint labels don't scan worth a darn, nor do the Army Painter labels with the small bar codes.
  3. And of course there was a long time where RMS paint labels were just terrible, but that seems to be corrected. Unfortunately, I've had quite a few Reaper paints for long enough that I'm dealing with the bad labels again now. Nothing to be done, unfortunately.
  4. Including mediums and the like in the app would be really useful. They're in paint bottles and they go on like paint, but they're not in the application because they're not quite paint. Or ink.
  5. Having a direct link from Rapid Scan to Search would be tremendously useful. There are always bottles that don't scan and have to be hand-entered, and having to navigate out to the main screen, then back into search is slow and painful.
  6. More paint lines, including some of the old stuff like Ral Partha would be useful. (I know that you get this all the time; here you go again. :B):)
  7. Manufacturer paint swatches are uniformly terrible. I don't expect you to paint and scan every paint (that would be kind of nuts), but having the ability to link directly to a scan or swatch that I made for myself would be very, very nice. Failing that, just giving me the ability to attach an RGB color that matches better would help a great deal.
  8. Similarly, adding the ability to attach notes to the colors would be tremendously useful as well. ("Color has very poor coverage; basecoat in Palomino Gold before using.") With the number of colors out there, it would be very nice not to have to learn the same lessons quite so many times. 

#4 and #5 shouldn't be too difficult and shouldn't eat space. #7 and #8 have the potential to be space hogs, but text is small and a link to a color sample shouldn't be too expensive in terms of space.

Again, the app is really wonderful and I don't regret spending money for the full version. I recommend it to nearly any miniatures painter. But if you would only listen to me, ....

::D:

ETA: looking just recently, I think that #7 is sort of available now. I didn't notice the lens icon in the paint description. But I'd really like to be able to make a different image the one I see when I look through the library.

Edited by Doug Sundseth
  • Like 4

Neglecting lines that are not included in the app, which would skew the results pretty significantly, I was running somewhere around 80% success on scanning. And about a third of that was Scale75, which is included but can't be scanned because they don't use standard bar codes. I can't say that I blame them for not being able to scan old, faded thermal-printer labels that are stuck to the bottles with tape. But the yellow Reaper labels were far more miss than hit, which is a bit annoying.

18 hours ago, Doug Sundseth said:

@CourageousOctopus

My wife and I picked up the Paint Rack App over the weekend (full paid version for each of us), and we love it. It will really make my life better (once I get my paint entered of course). Because I'm me (:rolleyes:), some comments:

1. Paint Rack and Reaper both list RMS 09004 as Fire Red. My bottle says Bright Red. I suspect it was a name change years ago, but just in case anyone else sees this, you're not alone.
  2. Yellow Reaper paint labels don't scan worth a darn, nor do the Army Painter labels with the small bar codes.
  3. And of course there was a long time where RMS paint labels were just terrible, but that seems to be corrected. Unfortunately, I've had quite a few Reaper paints for long enough that I'm dealing with the bad labels again now. Nothing to be done, unfortunately.
  4. Including mediums and the like in the app would be really useful. They're in paint bottles and they go on like paint, but they're not in the application because they're not quite paint. Or ink.
  5. Having a direct link from Rapid Scan to Search would be tremendously useful. There are always bottles that don't scan and have to be hand-entered, and having to navigate out to the main screen, then back into search is slow and painful.
  6. More paint lines, including some of the old stuff like Ral Partha would be useful. (I know that you get this all the time; here you go again. :B):)
  7. Manufacturer paint swatches are uniformly terrible. I don't expect you to paint and scan every paint (that would be kind of nuts), but having the ability to link directly to a scan or swatch that I made for myself would be very, very nice. Failing that, just giving me the ability to attach an RGB color that matches better would help a great deal.
  8. Similarly, adding the ability to attach notes to the colors would be tremendously useful as well. ("Color has very poor coverage; basecoat in Palomino Gold before using.") With the number of colors out there, it would be very nice not to have to learn the same lessons quite so many times. 

#4 and #5 shouldn't be too difficult and shouldn't eat space. #7 and #8 have the potential to be space hogs, but text is small and a link to a color sample shouldn't be too expensive in terms of space.

Again, the app is really wonderful and I don't regret spending money for the full version. I recommend it to nearly any miniatures painter. But if you would only listen to me, ....

::D:

ETA: looking just recently, I think that #7 is sort of available now. I didn't notice the lens icon in the paint description. But I'd really like to be able to make a different image the one I see when I look through the library.

1. Gotta defer to the manufacturer on this one.

2. and 3. This is mostly out of our control, I'm afraid. We use the ZXing barcode scanner library (same one as 'Barcode Scanner' by ZXing in the Google Play store). Lighting, camera, barcode quality are all issues.

4. I expect these will be added soon.

5. Interesting. We definitely want to lower the barrier to entry.

6. Yup yup :D.

7. This is a pretty hard problem. Even if we did buy and paint every color paint, there are issues with white balance and paint density on the swatches themselves. And even if you got it 100% right, the way the phone reproduces the color is different on almost every device. Samsung phones blow out the colors (for marketing reasons to make things 'pop'), while an sRGB phone such as the Pixel 2 would be more accurate (for example). So we use the manufacturer's provided samples since no matter what we do it'll be an approximation. That being said, if something is particularly egregious do let us know as even the manufacturers have things very off sometimes.

8. I'll add your vote for that one!

• Like 5

I like the note idea.  Not sure if I'd use it, but I like it.   Overall, this is best for me in that I can keep track of what I have.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Doug Sundseth said:

And of course there was a long time where RMS paint labels were just terrible, but that seems to be corrected. Unfortunately, I've had quite a few Reaper paints for long enough that I'm dealing with the bad labels again now. Nothing to be done, unfortunately.

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Doug Sundseth said:

2.  Yellow Reaper paint labels don't scan worth a darn, nor do the Army Painter labels with the small bar codes.

Well, we are in luck, soon (ok with the amount of stock out there soon is relative) the HD paints will have a white label. My friend and I noticed that like two or three of the HD paint bottles had a white label. Ladystorm mentioned that this was because the yellow ink on the label was a few microns too thick for the label machine and causing unnecessary jams. She also mentioned that the caps will be transitioning to grey for quick identification.

• Like 6

It was great meeting the both of you at ReaperCon.  Thanks for the swag!  I used the app many times over the course of the weekend to ensure that I wasn't buying duplicate paints I was filling holes in my collection.  Pretty sure I'm spending more on paint now as I am no longer wondering "do I already have that color?".

Keep up the great work.

• Like 5

20 hours ago, Doug Sundseth said:

@CourageousOctopus

6. [snip]

#7 and #8 have the potential to be space hogs, but text is small and a link to a color sample shouldn't be too expensive in terms of space.

2 hours ago, CourageousOctopus said:

7. This is a pretty hard problem. Even if we did buy and paint every color paint, there are issues with white balance and paint density on the swatches themselves. And even if you got it 100% right, the way the phone reproduces the color is different on almost every device. Samsung phones blow out the colors (for marketing reasons to make things 'pop'), while an sRGB phone such as the Pixel 2 would be more accurate (for example). So we use the manufacturer's provided samples since no matter what we do it'll be an approximation. That being said, if something is particularly egregious do let us know as even the manufacturers have things very off sometimes.

Now that the app can access the camera, what if provision for a second swatch was added?

Keep the manufacturer swatches as is. 

Just add empty spots for swatches taken from a photo shot by the user to each color. 

Process would be:

~User paints a swatch.

~User photos the swatch.

painTrack loads the photo. 

~User chooses a portion of the photo (a tiny square? IDK ...Have not seen the interface.)

~painTrack discards all but the tiny portion chosen by the user. 

~That becomes a second (home shot & custom) swatch for whatever color it was. 

This ^ would give each user the ability to control most of the variables that make swatches appear differently on different devices. (Theirs could be as correct as possible for them.)

Most People will only do the colors they have that match the manufacturer swatches poorly, and the new swatch files saved will be small; so maybe not much additional data to store. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, TGP said:

Now that the app can access the camera, what if provision for a second swatch was added?

Keep the manufacturer swatches as is. 

Just add empty spots for swatches taken from a photo shot by the user to each color. 

Process would be:

~User paints a swatch.

~User photos the swatch.

painTrack loads the photo. 

~User chooses a portion of the photo (a tiny square? IDK ...Have not seen the interface.)

~painTrack discards all but the tiny portion chosen by the user. 

~That becomes a second (home shot & custom) swatch for whatever color it was. 

This ^ would give each user the ability to control most of the variables that make swatches appear differently on different devices. (Theirs could be as correct as possible for them.)

Most People will only do the colors they have that match the manufacturer swatches poorly, and the new swatch files saved will be small; so maybe not much additional data to store. 

Agree. And you could make the storage requirement even smaller if you were to average the color of the swatch the user selected and just store the RGB value.