TaleSpinner

Dragon-Kin

Well, I didn't make it.  I have about 3 to 4 hour left on them.  I did get all their hands done.  Then I realized that I didn't like the pose on the Oracles and cut it off.  Now I am reworking the concept for that on so that it is presenting the end of it's stole (as if presenting a holy symbol).  I sculpted 2/3 of the stole on that one too and will be finishing it today.  I'm purposefully leaving the stole blank, leaving it up to the painter to make it fancy if they so choose (I personally hate it when too much detail is sculpted into a piece; as a painter I like a few blank spaces to stretch my freehand muscles once in a while.)

I should have more pictures in a few days.

Andy

• Like 7

I am super excited now.  The electrical inspector is coming tomorrow...sometime.  I took the day off.  That means I get a whole day by myself to pretend I am a real, full-time sculptor for a day.  I might even get these guys done tomorrow.

::D:

• Like 8

I am super excited now. The electrical inspector is coming tomorrow...sometime. I took the day off. That means I get a whole day by myself to pretend I am a real, full-time sculptor for a day. I might even get these guys done tomorrow.

It's the day after tomorrow now...
  • Like 1

I am super excited now. The electrical inspector is coming tomorrow...sometime. I took the day off. That means I get a whole day by myself to pretend I am a real, full-time sculptor for a day. I might even get these guys done tomorrow.

It's the day after tomorrow now...

Fine. :rolleyes:

I worked on them all day yesterday (plus some other projects as well while these were curing).  I essentially finished the two warriors, having only to put a slot tab on them, and do a last check for missing things (though I have an open question to the caster on one of them.

Bardiche Warrior:

All I have left is to add a slot tab and to cut off its hands/bardiche.

post-140-0-88889400-1483674978_thumb.jpg post-140-0-37914500-1483674979_thumb.jpg

Halberd Warrior:

As with the other warrior, I have to add a slot tab and cut off its hands and weapon.  I also have an open question to the caster as to whether the javelins will case right, or if I need to fill in the gaps between them.  I suspect that I do.  If so, I will add two more slightly shorter javelins with barbed points.

post-140-0-38230500-1483674980_thumb.jpg

post-140-0-85748100-1483674979_thumb.jpg

Oracle:

I have it presenting the end of its stole a if it's using the symbols on it in a turn/healing attempt.  Anyway, I'm behind on it because I originally had finished its hand in another way and hated it, so I cut it off and re-sculpted it.  I still have to sculpt its jewelry (bracelets and breast chain).

post-140-0-03989400-1483675010.jpg

post-140-0-53957600-1483675010.jpg

• Like 21

Everything about this works. I especially like the little details like keep throwing spears in the quiver, and the shaman using its stole as a holy symbol is a particularly nice touch. When I look at sculpts I like having them feel that they're alive. ::D:

• Like 5

Love these, wonderful sculpts.

I have a question, will the oracles left hand with the bracelets be a separate piece? 

Is the strap only putty, or is there wire beneath?

• Like 2

I have a question, will the oracles left hand with the bracelets be a separate piece? 

No, the only separate parts on the Oracle will be its horns. The end of the stole dangling from his hand has a piece of brass sheet in it.  the part draped from shoulder to hand does not; however, I made that out of an Apoxie/GS mix so it would get hard and be self supporting. It should hold up enough to be molded.

• Like 3

So in this installment, I have been working some on all of them.  Also sculpted their weapons and staff.  The bardiche and halberd heads I made out of a bar of brass, using the carbide cutters I have to carve them.  Then I glued them to brass rods with epoxy and sculpted over that.

Merry Christmas!

Andy

Those look amazing!!! :wub: I love the crest and the wideset toes.

The heads - so they were flattened out out of brass, and then the leading/attacking(?) edge was the part carved with the carbide cutters?

(Merry Christmas! ^_^)

I am super excited now.  The electrical inspector is coming tomorrow...sometime.  I took the day off.  That means I get a whole day by myself to pretend I am a real, full-time sculptor for a day.  I might even get these guys done tomorrow.

Ohhhh man, wouldn't that be the dream!!

No, the only separate parts on the Oracle will be its horns. The end of the stole dangling from his hand has a piece of brass sheet in it.  the part draped from shoulder to hand does not; however, I made that out of an Apoxie/GS mix so it would get hard and be self supporting. It should hold up enough to be molded.

I've been trying to figure out when "open" spaces are okay. What makes the space between the arm and fabric okay?

• Like 2

So in this installment, I have been working some on all of them.  Also sculpted their weapons and staff.  The bardiche and halberd heads I made out of a bar of brass, using the carbide cutters I have to carve them.  Then I glued them to brass rods with epoxy and sculpted over that.

Merry Christmas!

Andy

Those look amazing!!! :wub: I love the crest and the wideset toes.

The heads - so they were flattened out out of brass, and then the leading/attacking(?) edge was the part carved with the carbide cutters?

(Merry Christmas! ^_^)

Ohhhh man, wouldn't that be the dream!!

I've been trying to figure out when "open" spaces are okay. What makes the space between the arm and fabric okay?

Brass weapons question.  I did not beat them out of the brass.  I bought a bar of brass, roughly 12" x 1" x 1/16".  I drew the rough shape I wanted for the heads on that with a sharpie and then cut them out with my dremel and jeweler's saw.  Then I carved and refined their shape, including the edge, using my carbide cutting tools on the Dremel.

Open spaces question.  It is OK there because it is in the plane of the mold, and nothing is blocking the detail from either side. I designed this mini to be molded from the sides, so that open space is OK, because the mold separation line can run down the arm and edge of the stole.  If it had for some reason looped to the side instead of down, then it would have to be cut out to be molded.  I'm not sure that this description makes sense.

• Like 3

Brass weapons question.  I did not beat them out of the brass.  I bought a bar of brass, roughly 12" x 1" x 1/16".  I drew the rough shape I wanted for the heads on that with a sharpie and then cut them out with my dremel and jeweler's saw.  Then I carved and refined their shape, including the edge, using my carbide cutting tools on the Dremel.

Open spaces question.  It is OK there because it is in the plane of the mold, and nothing is blocking the detail from either side. I designed this mini to be molded from the sides, so that open space is OK, because the mold separation line can run down the arm and edge of the stole.  If it had for some reason looped to the side instead of down, then it would have to be cut out to be molded.  I'm not sure that this description makes sense.

Ahhh. Thanks! Seems intense for something so small, haha!

You probably described it fine - I just don't understand the casting process enough to use the information you gave me. I can visualize the mini facing different directions in the air, but not where it situates in a mold. I might have to go find some videos at some point.

• Like 1

Ahhh. Thanks! Seems intense for something so small, haha!

You probably described it fine - I just don't understand the casting process enough to use the information you gave me. I can visualize the mini facing different directions in the air, but not where it situates in a mold. I might have to go find some videos at some point.

Best way I have found to learn this, is to look at minis you own.  Go grab a selection of minis and really look at where the mold lines run on them.  The mold line/flash is where the two halves of the mold came together.  As a sculptor, you need to envision approximately where this line will go while you sculpt, so that you can make decisions that will result in a moldable mini with as few parts as possible.  Of course, that decision changes from one manufacturer to the next.  Some don't mid extra parts, some don't want any.

• Like 6