knarthex

Infamy One Shot #1 (Hob)Goblin Chieftain

The Death Chicken Commences!

I had a little time tonight, so I continued with Infamy Mini's One Shot Goblin Chieftain.

First off, He is a big boy, so I am going to think of him as a Hobgoblin, instead of a goblin. (Sorry Buglips)

He will have Orange skin, as all my Hobgoblins do...

Secondly, this resin is very different from the other resin minis I have worked with, much softer and more flexible than the Forge World Iron Warriors Dreadnought I built, or Battlefront's resin vehicle bodies...

It is Fragile as Hades! Ias I was slowly sawing the chicken's lower jaw off the sprue with an X Acto saw, I broke one of the spikes where the reins attach....

5 minutes of unholy speech, and crawling around the floor rewarded me with the piece, which I carefully glued back into place...

I fear for the attachment of this figure to a base! 

The only point touching the ground is it's right foot, and the shape of it's ankle / foot /leg precludes driving a pin up the length of it's leg.

I may have to re-think that, and drill the hole anyway and hide the wire so I have a semi sturdy attachment point...

Thoughts ideas anyone?

As a temporary solution for painting, I drilled a hole in it's belly for a wire to support it whilst paint is applied...

Parts fit so far has been good, after removing sprue attachments etc. Left leg and Lower jaw...

Still lots to assemble, next will be the 'wings'...

This will definitely be a paint the rider separately job, and the way he attaches to the bird, he may get a wire for me to hide between his bum and the saddle, as the only attachment points there are the insides of his shins, and the straps of the reins....

Here is a scan of the Artwork that came with the KS:

post-14271-0-84700900-1460955991_thumb.jpg

The mini follows the art almost exactly...

And 2 pics of the Death Chicken so far:

post-14271-0-35278400-1460955973_thumb.jpg post-14271-0-05518400-1460955974_thumb.jpg

Little bit of gap filling to do...

George

Edited by knarthex
  • Like 17

Amazing model, but looks flimsy at the ankle..

Pinning is mandatory, hide it with shrubbery or a little sculpted rock around it..??

• Like 3

Yep, pin it and put some foliage around it. High standing grass or rushes, glue around  the base and slightly up the pin.

Great looking mini.

• Like 1

This reminds me of Joust. Can't wait to see what you do with this.

• Like 1

It does have UBERCOOL potential.

I think attaching the left-up-in-the-air-talon to some rock might give it more stability. You also might consider basing him prior to painting.

• Like 1

I'm in a agreement with everyone else; try to find a way to hide the pin with tall grass/foliage/etc.

• Like 1

More work on the team....

I drilled a hole up the leg, after making a dimple with an X Acto knife, then a pilot with a pin vice, and finally the final size with the Dremel, moving very slowly!

I tried as best as I could to follow the thick part of the leg, and got a bit more than 1/4" in before I started breaking out.

post-14271-0-23646200-1461284385_thumb.jpg post-14271-0-07219700-1461284386_thumb.jpg post-14271-0-86301500-1461284386_thumb.jpg

You can see the wire I used, I bent it so that it will go straight down into the base when it is time....

post-14271-0-51238200-1461284387_thumb.jpg

I also used the Dremel as a router, to make the channel in the back of the foot for the wire to fit inside. You can still see it, but I didn't dare go any further, and if I putty it, the foot will look odd...

post-14271-0-31651800-1461284388_thumb.jpg post-14271-0-11075300-1461284389_thumb.jpg post-14271-0-87679000-1461284389_thumb.jpg post-14271-0-59801600-1461284390_thumb.jpgpost-14271-0-40871400-1461284391_thumb.jpg

So I will need to put some tufts or something there on the base to finish hiding that...

Thoughts anyone?

So I then set about adding the wings...

so fragile....

Drilled into them for pins, made with straight pins, like from men's dress shirts, and attached them to the body with CA glue.

fit was pretty good, but the pinning left some tiny gaps that I filled with more CA glue, applied with the tip of an X Acto knife.

Then 2 light coats of P3 White primer from a rattle can....

post-14271-0-15686200-1461284885_thumb.jpg post-14271-0-87966200-1461284873_thumb.jpg post-14271-0-65492500-1461284874_thumb.jpg post-14271-0-43668300-1461284875_thumb.jpg post-14271-0-24751000-1461284876_thumb.jpg

Also started assembling the Chieftain Himself, the only pin I used here is in the lance, as it comes in 2 parts...

The shield got damaged coming off the sprue, so I tried to put some Green Stuff on it, I need to sand that still, and the he got a coat of primer...

post-14271-0-78307300-1461285155_thumb.jpg post-14271-0-55191500-1461285156_thumb.jpg post-14271-0-34634600-1461285157_thumb.jpg post-14271-0-06619800-1461285158_thumb.jpg post-14271-0-85777200-1461285158_thumb.jpg post-14271-0-60012700-1461285159_thumb.jpg

There is a part on the sprue that I am not sure what it is....

Right in this pic post-14271-0-74972900-1461285162_thumb.jpg

Left in this one post-14271-0-46802200-1461285163_thumb.jpg

The thorny branch looking thingy....

The other piece is the reins, but looking at the concept art, I don't see it...

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks for looking and commenting!

George

Edit---> I just found out that Infamy is sponsoring a painting contest for this mini,

Everyone entering gets a £10 store voucher!

see their site for details...

G

Edited by knarthex
  • Like 10

the squiggly thing is meant to be a plant stuck to the base from the pictures I have seen.

• Like 3

Working...

Pics later...

Thought occurred, Did anyone get both this mini, and the Bombshell Babes Jungle Elf on Raptor?

That sounds to me like a diorama in the making....

George

• Like 3

Here we go with some pics and thoughts...

I started with the mount, using Petroleum Grey thinned with Scale 75 Acrylic thinner about 5 to 1. After that, I thinned Graphene Grey the same way, and sprayed it mainly in a zenithal manner, trying to start the high lights. Then I went back with the Graphene Grey and a DaVinci size 1 brush to bring up the high lights more...

I plan on going up through Brown Grey, Rainy Grey, and Thar Brown, and depending on what it looks like, some Brown and or Black glazes...

post-14271-0-19453100-1461384551.jpg post-14271-0-72436700-1461384551.jpg post-14271-0-26422000-1461384552.jpg post-14271-0-78365600-1461384552_thumb.jpg post-14271-0-46607000-1461384553_thumb.jpg post-14271-0-22202800-1461384554_thumb.jpg post-14271-0-78769600-1461384554.jpg

The high lights are kind of lost in the pics, but as I am trying to push myself with this, That is okay, as it will make the transitions smoother....{I hope!}

While waiting  for that, and pondering what and where, I started on the Chieftain.

{Got to think up a cool name for him....}

I started in the base coat on his skin, using Kalahari Orange, the same color I used for my Ral Partha Goblins earlier this month...

I plan on using the same skin tones, just blending them up more gradually..

post-14271-0-27022000-1461384577_thumb.jpg post-14271-0-85163400-1461384577_thumb.jpg post-14271-0-47203100-1461384578.jpg post-14271-0-06820300-1461384579_thumb.jpg post-14271-0-62603400-1461384579.jpg post-14271-0-28270900-1461384580_thumb.jpg

This is the first Resin mini I do at this scale, and I assembled everything so that all the gaps would be filled...

Not sure now if I should not have held off on his arms, as getting the brush into some spots was an adventure...

So thanks for looking!

Leave comments with the door Goblin....

George

{Think he would come back if I named him 'Buglips'?}

• Like 7

Looking good so far!

I like your pinning solution; I think it'll look good once you're all finished.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Maledrakh
      Urutaa is a Maori word meaning "pestilence" and "plague" and "fever". It is also a sound that evokes "METAL!". So I will call the whole army Urutaa. Because they kill you FILTHY!
      I bought heavily into the new editon 40k and especially the Death Guard when they were released. At the same time I also bought some Daemons of Nurgle (Starting with the Blightwar set) as I always have been more partial to Nurgle than the other chaos gods and these would be a good fit both for the Death Guard and for my budding Maggotkin army for Age of Sigmar. Or so the self-justification for spending all that money on some rather expensive plastic went.
      And, as usual, I am getting round to them late. I begin with these Plaguebearers to establish the esthetic I would like to have across the army.

How I painted these:
      I started with a grey undercoat, and further undercoated by spray in an orangy leather brown from below and a sandy yellow brown from above. On top of this I painted assorted details in a lot of different colours, mostly purples and reds with a dash of green here and there. Light grey for the horns, dark brown for the claws. Pink for eyes. The weapons were basecoated in Scalecolour Caribbean Blue (a bright turquoise that is more or less the same as citadel nihilakh oxide) and drybrushed heavily with Vallejo Tinny Tin (a dark bronze like the old Citadel Tin Bitz).
      When I had had enough of dotting in bits and slopping on slashes of colour here and there I gave each mini including the weapons a heavy wash of Citadel Druuchi Violet Wash followed immediately when still wet with a moderate to heavy wash of just the head and upper body with Citadel Athonian Camoshade Wash (which is a greenish brown or a brownish green). This has the effect of clearing off much of the violet leaving the filthy green, and also mixing with the violet at the edges, creating a nice gradual colour transition effect.
      I take care to avoid the washes pooling by drawing off most of the pools with a damp brush.
      Also, the violet interacts with the sandy and orangy brown beneath, creating a rather splendig purple tone. It really is much more easy to do than it looks!
      When the washes are dry, I go over some of the details such as eyes and teeth, and add some more colour here and there.
      On the bases, I first glued down some black flock around the feet, and when dry I added a few appropriately dead-looking tufts and my normal flockmix. The effect is to illustrate how they pollute the ground they are walking on.
      I am pleased with the results, it is a slighly more labourious method than I did for my older plaguebearers sometime in the late 1990s (the balow have updated bases and three additional minis painted in the same style to make the legal unit size of 10:)

but is still quite quick and easy, and also looks much better.
    • By WhiteWulfe
      I say attempted because of two reasons...  First is this is the show off thread, and secondly, no official confirmation yet on the dates since @buglips*the*goblin has been occupied with other things, although a part of me suspects that @OneBoot might vouch.  At least on the times 

WIP Thread: http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/83285-whitewulfe-attemps-the-seven-day-goblin-challenge-dragons-dont-share-2014-edition/

This post may or may not be wordy, I haven't decided yet.  I'm tired, I'm sore, my eyes burn, but...  It. Is. DONE!  At least in my eyes.  A lot of things aren't as well done as I'd like, but that's what happens when you lose the equivalent of almost two full days to surprise contractors.  Thankfully I had terrain to work on while they took up most of that time!

Rules thread: http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/69639-7-day-goblin-challenge-official-rules/

Just what is the 7-Day Goblin Challenge?  Well, I summarize it as follows: Stupidly large mini, comically small brush.  Right now, it's four different minis you can choose from, you can only use up to a size 0 brush, aaaaand you have all of seven days to finish it.  That's it.  No airbrushes, no fancy paper towel tricks, no smearing paint with your fingers (as that's a "brush" that's bigger than size 0!), no direct application of paint, no aerosol cans... You get the idea. ^_^;;;

Start time: October 27th, at 09:05 MST/MDT (aka -07:00 GMT)
      End time: Nov 3rd, at 02:02 MST/MDT

Getting all of this to fit in my mock lighting setup was an absolute pain, doubly so since I had to steal hubby's painting light to try and get even lighting across things. o_O

^Starting setup, with time displayed

^Ending setup, with time displayed.  At this point, I technically had 7 hours and 3 minutes left in my seven days, and by the time I'm done writing this it'll probably be a full hour later (something about editing down over forty pictures, and that's AFTER I filtered redundant pics out of the equation o_O)

In order to not make this an absolute pain to scroll through, I'll showcase key pictures, with additional detail pics being hidden behind spoiler tags.

^Obviously the main attraction is first.

Additional dragon pictures:

Terrain details:

First hero is apparently the dwarf cleric...  At least with the order I took pics!

Additional pics:

^The sorceress~

Additional pics:

^The thief/rogue/sneaky one!

Additional pics:

The... Ranger/archer guy!

Additional pics:

^And last, but not least...  Sir Purple of Shiny, as more or less named by OneBoot...  Well, inspired by due to purple and how shiny his armour was for quite some time...

Additional pics!

Now, comes the slightly... I dunno, philisophical part of it all.  Would I do things differently next time?  Most definitely.  I'd prefer to give my heroes more time, and also make sure I have brushes that I trust well enough to do eyes.  I had to pull out my 000 Reaper brush to try the eyes....  I also wouldn't wait until after 1am  in the final hours of the challenge to do said eyes either.  I'd also not recommend losing a good chunk of time to surprise contractors either, or at least keep painting as best one can - although that first day of surprise contractors, uhm....  Yeah, anything other than priming would have been impossible while they were doing work, the entire building was vibrating.

Would I recommend this kind of thing to others?  Sure, why not...  If you're willing to do a reasonable amount of planning ahead of time.  I'd also strongly recommend having time off while you do this, AND not being the person who cooks.  Assigning cooking duties to someone else (or, y'know, having a freezer/fridge full of ready to make meals) would probably also be rather handy.  If you're in a relationship, or living with others (be they roommates, or parents, or whatever), DEFINITELY make sure to talk it over with them.  I'm lucky, I'm married to an enabler, and by that he's the main reason I was able to do the challenge.  That and he was quite happy to work on relic quests in FF XIV:ARR while I painted 

Oh, and make sure you've actually GOT groceries to cook with if you are going to be the cook!  Don't have to run out a few times during said challenge, DOUBLY SO if you happen to have to WALK everywhere when you do said errands.  No, not even to go and get your package of big stompy robots, you silly fox!

I went into this with a rather basic plan...  Colours picked out for the heroes (but apparently only their capes/cloaks), and a basic colour pattern idea on the dragon.  I'd recommend not winging it like I did, because it brings up some rather interesting (and annoying!) problems as you go, like how on earth you're going to make it work, and blend it all together.

Will I give another one a shot?  We shall see.  Obviously there's recovering from this one, but most importantly is this - hubby would have to say yes again 

...I'm going to go get sleep now!
    • By Mckenna35
      9th gate Miniatures presents Collection of Mysterious Miniature Models of Pirates Busts Kickstarter:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/9gateminiatures/collection-of-mysterious-miniature-models-of-pirat?ref=user_menu

Lots of busts based on a certain Disney Pirate movie...

:)
    • By SamuraiJack
      About
      Cerberus Studios Logo Who are we?
      Hello and welcome to our Kickstarter.
      We are a small UK miniature design studio born out of a love for all things fantasy and the spark of an idea.  We wanted to create a world with a wealth of characters and storylines that immerse and captivate you... so for the last year we have been working on bringing the first of a large range of miniatures/characters to life. 
      We have been completely self funded to get to this point and will aim to move forward with the money raised to deliver our next selection of characters and beasts. It is our intention, with your help, to use any raised funds towards 3D printing, casting, packaging and the distribution of this range.
      The profits will go towards the realisation of a strong character cast, each developing into their own unique part in our story and becoming miniatures in their own right.
      If the kickstarter goes beyond our expectations we will expand, creating new miniatures, game designs, and employ more artists to help realise our world and bring it to you.
      Our World and Characters
      As with any good story you need heroes and villains and that's exactly where we started.
      All of these characters form the introductory model range to our story and miniature line up.
      Character Cast From left to right:
      The Veiled Emissary Lazarus The Kyrios The Slaver The Miniatures:
      Each of our cast are conceptualised and developed, blending backgrounds and storylines to link our characters. Using a talented team of artists, the artwork and 3D renders are created to build the foundation of the miniature we present to you.
      Each of our designs is prototyped using 3D print technology, allowing us to have highly detailed moulds for the resin miniatures that we hope you will enjoy.
      3D Printed example - The Veiled Emissary
      The Completed Renders & Miniatures for you
      Miniature 1- THE VEILED EMISSARY Our main villain: a 32mm resin highly detailed miniature
      The Veiled Emissary The Veiled Emissary -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• By Orlando_the_Technicoloured
      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/831472366/corvus-corax-miniatures-onwards?ref=hero_thanks

Corvus Corax Miniatures is a small hobby project created in 2013. Since then, I have had three projects successfully funded on Kickstarter and all have been fully delivered on time without any delays. The feedback from the backers have only been positive.

The Funding Goal is for 50,000 SEK (Swedish Crown) which equals aprox. $5,700, €4,800 or £4,300 (exchange rates may vary, please check your current ones).

The goal of this project is to attempt to raise funds for the production of totally 12 miniatures; six for the Clansmen of Caer Loch and six for the Sons of Yetl Black. The miniatures will be cast in high quality, non-toxic, resin. The scale of the miniatures are 35 mm (measuring to the eyes in a standing, straight pose, although some characters can be slightly larger because they are supposed to be large characters).

The miniatures have already been sculpted and pre-production resin casts have been completed and approved for final production if the funding is reached. A successful project here will help me be able to pay for the resin casting, and it will help me to kickstart the miniature range and expand it even further!

you can also pick up stuff from the previous project

size/scale comparisons

Typically, the estimated shipping cost break down as following (however, note that this is a rough estimation, and that the shipping cost will be based on the weight of each package, which might differ depending on which miniatures and how many you choose to select). The following is only ESTIMATED and does not mean that it is final.
      •1-4 miniatures: €5
      •5-12 miniatures: €10
      •13+ miniatures: €15

This does NOT include tracking. If you want to include tracking (recommended letter) that will cost an extra €10 in addition to the shipping cost (for example, the estimated shipping cost for 12 miniatures with tracking would end up at €20). The insurance for recommended letter is at max value of 2,000 SEK.

I've backed and got the minis from all of the previous project and have been delighted with them
  • Who's Online   13 Members, 1 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)