72moonglum

Miniatures in Movies/TV/Media

So a few nights ago me and the wife were watching some House of Cards and in the last episode we saw the main character shows a huge table he's been working on with some Civil War miniatures on it and that got me thinking how often and where have I seen miniatures on TV or in the movies.  The ones that come to mind are:

House of Cards, mentioned above

40 Year Old Virgin, where we get a few shots of Carrell painting some miniatures under his magnifying lense.

On HGTV, there was a Househunters International, where they are looking for a place in Sweden and the guy that gets the house also has some kind of cellar outside in the common garden where he's got a collection of Warhammer miniatures.

On the Olympics in the last few weeks, there was the one Canadian skier (don't remember his name) who has a brother with cerebral palsy and in the little human interest story, they mentioned the brother was an artist, and they cut away to him painting some miniatures as well as a big canvas with some flowers on it.

I saw some article somewhere too, don't even remember what magazine, of some football player who likes to paint miniatures as well.

Any other things that come to mind to anybody else?

• Like 3

I vaguely recall an episode of Hoarders where the male half had GW boxes scattered all around. It was a lead mountain - literally!

• Like 2

In Dead Like Me Rube has a case on his desk with about a dozen or more civil war minis.

In Tour of Duty, I don't remember which season but I think it was in the middle, there's a Captain over Lt. Goldman who paints miniatures, civil war or possibly napoleonic.  I think this is used perjoratively, though, to illustrate his disconnect from his duties of leadership.

I never saw 40 Year Old Virgin but I remember one time I went on a date about 10 years ago with a girl I'd known in high school who had apparently had a crush on me for some considerable time.  We ran into each other again, both single, and the date was her suggestion.  So we had a nice dinner, and then went to a cafe.  We were talking about each other's boring hobbies, and she asked what I did.  I told her I painted miniatures.

She let out this big, snorty bray of laughter and said:  "You mean like in the 40 Year Old Virgin?  Ha ha ha!"  

:mellow:

There was no second date. 

• Like 10

There was an episode of CSI where a Civil War re-enactor had a table of nicely painted minis depicting Picket's Charge. Lots of cool terrain, too. (Grissom approved, citing a love for small things.)

Inspector Morse, a British crime show of which I am quite fond, had an episode devoted to the murder of a Professor of mythology/fantasy at Oxford. One of the suspects was a kid with a rather gigantic gaming table in his shed, covered in Warhammer Fantasy. (Morse disapproved quite strenuously, citing a hatred for fantasy in general.)

Edited by Bruunwald
  • Like 1

In Twin Peaks, after a nervous breakdown, Benjamin Horne becomes convinced that he is a civil war general.  For the episodes where he is sufferring from this affliction, he is seen to have converted his massive business office into a civil war miniatures playground.

• Like 1

So a few nights ago me and the wife were watching some House of Cards and in the last episode we saw the main character shows a huge table he's been working on with some Civil War miniatures on it and that got me thinking how often and where have I seen miniatures on TV or in the movies.  The ones that come to mind are:

40 Year Old Virgin, where we get a few shots of Carrell painting some miniatures under his magnifying lense.

On HGTV, there was a Househunters International, where they are looking for a place in Sweden and the guy that gets the house also has some kind of cellar outside in the common garden where he's got a collection of Warhammer miniatures.

On the Olympics in the last few weeks, there was the one Canadian skier (don't remember his name) who has a brother with cerebral palsy and in the little human interest story, they mentioned the brother was an artist, and they cut away to him painting some miniatures as well as a big canvas with some flowers on it.

I saw some article somewhere too, don't even remember what magazine, of some football player who likes to paint miniatures as well.

I think the football player is punter chris kluwe. I saw on his twitter avatar is a painted mini

• Like 2

So the media is saying that I am 40 year old person with special needs, who paints in old cellar out in the garden?

Ha ha. Just kidding, but that is why we all need to act as ambassadors for our hobby. Let's break those stereotypes!

• Like 3

I think the football player is punter chris kluwe. I saw on his twitter avatar is a painted mini

Haha, wow.  His twitter handle is @chriswarcraft, and yeah, his avatar is some sort of armored skeleton

Edit:  And apparently he wrote a book called Beautifully Unique Sparkleponies.

Interesting guy.

Edited by Baugi
  • Like 5

Murder at 1600, wesley Snipes character has a huge civil war battle that he cant move. Also in the Patriot, Mel Gibson's character melts down his son's mini's and turns them into bullets.

• Like 2

Lewis as well as Columbo both had episodes which featured some wargame tables. Fantasy in Lewis and I believe civil war in Columbo.

Apparently minis attracts murders.

• Like 1

Yeah, when me and my wife saw the 40 Year Old Virgin years ago together, she just rolled her eyes up to the back of her head and gave one of those pitying head nods.  All I can say is I'm glad I got married before I ever started painting miniatures again...

• Like 4

In an episode of Criminal Minds Season 8 the unsub paints miniatures. Didn't seem to portray the hobby in a bad light thought, bad guys have hobbies too.

• Like 2

Can't remember the title, but in one of the Dalton-era Bond films the baddie had a roomful of dioramas depicting famous battles.

• Like 1