72moonglum

Miniatures in Movies/TV/Media

144 posts in this topic

I just started watching Stranger Things on Netflix and it features some D&D with minis. The show opens with the main characters playing D&D and Demogorgon features prominently in the scene, making a rather dramatic entrance via miniature. What is funny is I thought at first I caught an error. The show is set in the 80s, but I thought they used the aspect of Demogorgon from the Archfiends set. But when I did a search for a mini to check I found this thread: http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/53441-this-mini-might-be-older-than-you-are-grenadier-demogorgon/It turns out they were using an historically accurate 80s miniature.

7 people like this

I'm just wondering who the wizard figure is behind him, I'm guessing a Superior wizard?

1 person likes this

Episode 8 of Stranger Things features a thessalhydra, played by the Ral Partha hydra by Julie Guthrie from 1982. This guy, without the gem:

fd129.jpg

5 people like this

I just finished watching series 1 of Stranger Things. Absolutely loved it, took me right back to my formative years. Ahhh.........Happy days! ^_^

Freaking love Stranger Things - I only just started watching but I love it.

xo Tay

1 person likes this

I'm watching a series on Netflix called Crazyhead. It's basically a British Buffy, with a couple young women hunting demons. In one episode, the main character is kissing a guy, he runs his fingers through her hair and finds a miniature. It's a tiny little guy, I'd guess 15mm scale.

Crazyhead.jpg

3 people like this

The Demogorgon mini from Stranger Things was the first mini I ever bought back before my Testors Enamels and airplane glue days (along with  pack of 3 ninjas with different head, shield, and weapon options, and a set of purple dice that I had to use crayons on to make the numbers show up - my pre-red box Basic D&D set only came with a chits sheet) at the same FLGS where I still buy minis/paints/games, and yes, it was right around the same year the show was set in.  So it is indeed a period-accurate mini.  I used to carry mine around with me everywhere and polish him constantly, and still remember the day he must have fallen out of my jacket pocket, never to be seen again.  Probably saved me from getting lead poisoning, with all the time I spent handling it with my sweaty little 10yo fingers.  I got a HUGE kick out of seeing him again in Stranger Things!  IIRC he came in a blister with one or two other smaller demon minis.

Kang

4 people like this

Chicago Sun-Times article about the World Miniatures Expo last weekend:

http://chicago.suntimes.com/news/mini-art-on-a-world-stage-at-chicagos-model-expo/

Another article (with video) by WGN-TV:

http://wgntv.com/2017/07/08/world-model-expo-is-a-big-deal-in-the-miniature-art-world/

Edited by Pingo
1 person likes this

Many, many years ago, there was a sex comedy on HBO - I know longer remember the title, set on Hawaii - and in the corner of one of the rooms was a shrine to Great Cthulhu - complete with the model based on the artwork of Stephen Hickman.

I watched the entirety of that stupid, stupid movie, waiting for that shrine to Cthulhu to become important... and it never did! ::P:

cthulhu.jpg

The Auld Grump - somewhere, out there, a properties master is laughing at me....

2 people like this