72moonglum

Miniatures in Movies/TV/Media

Night at the Museum featured some miniature dioramas.

They even came alive at night just as I suspect mine do.

• Like 4

Shopping for wargaming raw materials, anecdotes:

____

I wanted a green table cloth with a fuzz texture to it. Tried an upholstery and drapery store. When the 20-ish coed clerk asked me what sort of green I was trying to find I foolishly blurted out that "Goblin Green" would be perfect.

She backed away slowly.. :down:

____

In other stores when asked, 'what did I want to use that (glue / paint / material or article) for?' if I lie and say it is for a model RR layout people smile,  looked pleased, and get helpful.

People like miniatures... as long as they are trains.  :upside:

Model war games... not so much. :mellow:

____

What was the PG-13 kid movie where Wesley Coleman [is that a correct name of an actor?] Dabney Coleman was a spy or government agent and the main kid character had a big HeroQuest set that they called something else, DungeonQuest perhaps?

____

Star Trek Deep Space Nine: Chief O'Brien had a model of the Alamo with figures.

Edited by TGP
  • Like 7

I remember seeing an episode of one of those 'reality shows'...  Texas Car Wars or something like that, where competing garages of mechanics bought junkers at auctions and restored/flipped them...  This episode I saw had one of the mechanics and his wife sitting down to paint up some skaven as a sanity break.

• Like 1

There was an episode of CSI where a Civil War re-enactor had a table of nicely painted minis depicting Picket's Charge.

CSI also had the recurring Miniature Killer, a serial killer who made intricate dioramas of their murders before they took place. They were pretty impressive.

csi-william-petersen.jpg

Esternal link to a closup of one to save screen size

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-sYENL2jZXNI/Ty9ULYD0XOI/AAAAAAAAAtY/Qc0Dk-wTnHE/s1600/Penny5.jpg

• Like 2

More a diorama, but Beetlejuice had the main character creating a model of the town.

Can't remember the title, but in one of the Dalton-era Bond films the baddie had a roomful of dioramas depicting famous battles.

(checks) The Living Daylights

ETA: I'm amused that you got the Bond actor right, but couldn't differentiate between the two that he was in.

Edited by sumbloke
  • Like 3

Lewis as well as Columbo both had episodes which featured some wargame tables. Fantasy in Lewis and I believe civil war in Columbo.

Apparently minis attracts murders.

Lewis! I meant Lewis, not Morse. I recently have been browsing the old Morse episodes on Netflix and confused myself. But the Lewis episode with the kid in the shed has a pretty huge, dark layout.

• Like 1

Don't forget that Tom Hanks film

... on second thought, do.

The good ol' Mazes and Monsters fictionalized version of a news story that was blown out of proportion. 

Because a Private investigator who didn't understand the game Dungeons and Dragons very much, and wanted to keep his other more likely theories out of the news, he told them that he was investigating if a 16 year old computer science prodigy disappeared to play a game Dungeons and Dragons.

When what really happened is that he went into the steam tunnels to try to commit suicide with quaaludes, and when that didn't work, he went and hid with his male lover, because he was tired of the kind of pressures his parents were placing on him. He was found a few weeks later by that PI, but that fact seems to not have gotten a lot of media play, possibly because the Detective had promised the young man that he would keep what transpired from his parents.

Unfortunately, he took his own life about a year after his disappearance.  ::(:

It is sad that his problems with parental pressure, his sexuality, and drug use were not better addressed, and that the media continued to focus on this as something that happened because of the "Devils Game".

• Like 1

Dexter: In at least one episode a comic shop, a few heroclix are on display.

Dexters Lab: A few minis are shown in the "D&DD" episode.

Also in the Patriot, Mel Gibson's character melts down his son's mini's and turns them into bullets.

I've read that European nobles would have sets of military figurines made from silver and gold. The book posited few survive because they would then be melted down for the metal to pay for the actual military operations.

Edited by scorpio616
  • Like 1

Big Bang Theory

At least two episodes have featured the gang playing some variant of D&D, figures were used as props at least once.

BBTDD.jpg

There is also one episode where Sheldon decides to re-invent chess. He adds a third set of chessmen (White / Black / Red Silver) and a host of extra figures for each army: Jesters, Wizards Popes, Gorillas, Beekeepers... (I think it was a beekeeper; there was something that could release a bee swarm :unsure: )

Edited by TGP
  • Like 2

In a roundabout way that reminded me of Thunderbirds. One episode had a large office building being blown up, the modelling team meticulously decorated every single office with a full set of furniture. The shot was set up and they blew up the building. Once they checked the rushes the reflection off the studio lights on the windows blocked out every single room.

I also heard an anecdote where filming a shot was delayed because this small shadow kept appearing across the backdrop and they couldn't work out what it was. Eventually they realised that it was being caused by drops of sweat from the prop guy that was working up in the rafters right next to the studio lights.

Imagine the hours of work that must have gone into constructing all those vehicles and buildings only for them to blown up for a few seconds of film.

Edited by Nocturne
  • Like 1

More a diorama, but Beetlejuice had the main character creating a model of the town.

Can't remember the title, but in one of the Dalton-era Bond films the baddie had a roomful of dioramas depicting famous battles.

(checks) The Living Daylights

ETA: I'm amused that you got the Bond actor right, but couldn't differentiate between the two that he was in.

That's the one.

Despite my love of the Bond films, I'll be damned if I can remember what most of them are actually called.

Remembered another one, in Smallville Lex Luthor painted minis as a child.

• Like 2

There was a commercial that was playing here a few years ago that would cut to people doing everyday things as they made a comment on whatever the product or service was (I can't remember).

It always amused me that one of them was an older gentleman sitting at a table painting a mini.

• Like 1