72moonglum

Miniatures in Movies/TV/Media

There was an episode of Veronica Mars where a pirate radio DJ used "painting figures" in his basement as an excuse for why he spent so much time down there - when he was actually broadcasting his pirate radio show. Second season, I think.

• Like 1

In the Patriot, Mel's character melted down his murdered son's lead soldiers for bullets to fight the British.

• Like 3

In Chitty-chitty Bang Bang the old guys were playing a mini war game. Mostly just flinging stuff at tin soldiers. It was cute.

In Chitty-chitty Bang Bang the old guys were playing a mini war game. Mostly just flinging stuff at tin soldiers. It was cute.

Probably Little Wars by Wells.

In Joan of Arcadia, Joan's brother painted miniatures. This hobby was shown in more than one episode, I believe, but I only remember one in detail. The character was in a wheelchair, and in one episode he went to the hobby store to buy paint. He felt the clerk was patronizing him and openly stole the paint, taunting the clerk to treat him as he would anyone else and call the cops. 

• Like 1

I liked Joan of Arcadia. It was a good show. I don't remember that episode though (the one where Joan gets her foot stuck in a washer stands out).

On the news last night, there was a breakin at a local hobby shop.  Guess it's the only way to be able to afford a new Warhammer army!  :lol:

http://www.kptv.com/story/24876811/burglar-smashes-window-steals-from-se-portland-gaming-store

"Surveillance video shows the burglar keeping his face down until he put on a mask to cover everything but his eyes. He then briefly looked directly at one of the surveillance cameras. At one point, he also put a light around his head as he stuffed table-top miniatures into a bag. They're figurines worth up to about $140 that you assemble, paint and then play games with, Micetic said."

Bonus:  Man uses 'Zelda' sword in brawl with girlfriend's ex

http://www.kptv.com/story/24871542/man-uses-zelda-sword-in-brawl-with-girlfriends-ex

I love Portland.

Edited by estrus
  • Like 4

Not sure how related this will be. I can't tell what size they are, but I've been watching a TV show called "Black Sails". It's about pirates. I love the intro. The figures they use for the intro seem very dynamic and wouldn't mind owning those if they were miniatures. :P

• Like 2

I was recently watching old episodes of Highlander and saw a season 1 ep. that had a short bit with Darius playing (or at least playing with) ACW miniatures. 

• Like 1

Pcktlnt, you reminded me of something:the-three-musketeers-movie-photo-18.jpg

This is from a Three Musketeers movie. It was the one with the zeppelins :blink:  (So if you don't like zeppelins, and Van Helsing gadgets, and Victorian SciFi-Stuff, and NINJA chicks in poofy dresses mixed in with your musketeers... ...you'll want to pass on this one.)

Edited by TGP
  • Like 4

On the news last night, there was a breakin at a local hobby shop.  Guess it's the only way to be able to afford a new Warhammer army!  :lol:

http://www.kptv.com/story/24876811/burglar-smashes-window-steals-from-se-portland-gaming-store

"Surveillance video shows the burglar keeping his face down until he put on a mask to cover everything but his eyes. He then briefly looked directly at one of the surveillance cameras. At one point, he also put a light around his head as he stuffed table-top miniatures into a bag. They're figurines worth up to about $140 that you assemble, paint and then play games with, Micetic said."

That link says he made off with $1,000 in merchandise.  Grand theft Warhammer? 

• Like 5

What was the PG-13 kid movie where Wesley Coleman [is that a correct name of an actor?] Dabney Coleman was a spy or government agent and the main kid character had a big HeroQuest set that they called something else, DungeonQuest perhaps?

Are you thinking of Cloak and Dagger?

(So if you don't like zeppelins, and Van Helsing gadgets, and Victorian SciFi-Stuff, and NINJA chicks in poofy dresses mixed in with your musketeers... ...you'll want to pass on this one.)

That's a perfect description of that movie. :huh:  Very little to do with the Three Musketeers other than names.

"This film was very losely based on the novel od the same name. We do not care if the writer is spinning in his grave. Though we might change our tune is ghoul-authors start coming after us."

• Like 1