72moonglum

Miniatures in Movies/TV/Media

Not sure how related this will be. I can't tell what size they are, but I've been watching a TV show called "Black Sails". It's about pirates. I love the intro. The figures they use for the intro seem very dynamic and wouldn't mind owning those if they were miniatures. :P

Look up Kris Kuksi.  If I'm not mistaken that is some of his work.

(So if you don't like zeppelins, and Van Helsing gadgets, and Victorian SciFi-Stuff, and NINJA chicks in poofy dresses mixed in with your musketeers... ...you'll want to pass on this one.)

That's a perfect description of that movie. :huh:  Very little to do with the Three Musketeers other than names.

"This film was very losely based on the novel od the same name. We do not care if the writer is spinning in his grave. Though we might change our tune is ghoul-authors start coming after us."

That sounds like quite an interesting not-Three Musketeers movie. It's a bit hard to find though - too many movies with that title. Is it this one http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1509767/ ?

(So if you don't like zeppelins, and Van Helsing gadgets, and Victorian SciFi-Stuff, and NINJA chicks in poofy dresses mixed in with your musketeers... ...you'll want to pass on this one.)

That's a perfect description of that movie. :huh:  Very little to do with the Three Musketeers other than names.

"This film was very losely based on the novel od the same name. We do not care if the writer is spinning in his grave. Though we might change our tune is ghoul-authors start coming after us."

That sounds like quite an interesting not-Three Musketeers movie. It's a bit hard to find though - too many movies with that title. Is it this one http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1509767/ ?
Yup.

Yup.

Indeed. LK is correct. This video / trailer will confirm my assessment: http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi1451924505/

I can't believe this wasn't mentioned yet (maybe I missed it):  In Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone Harry has minis under the stairs.  They make a reprisal as Harry is leaving the house in the Deathly Hallows, Part 1.

Let's not forget that horrific episode of Wife Swap where the gaming family trades for a wife that wants to destroy the family's mini collection.

And Reaper minis were featured.

Let's not forget that horrific episode of Wife Swap where the gaming family trades for a wife that wants to destroy the family's mini collection.

And Reaper minis were featured.

I've only watched part of one episode of that show. It wasn't the episode you mention.

I stopped watching when it became readily apparent that the two families didn't share the same values and I didn't see any entertainment value in watching further.

I only saw that specific episode because it got posted here on the forum.

Here's the discussion we had following the show.  

And damn, that was 8 years ago.  And I miss a lot of the posters in that thread who used to be regulars here.

Edited by Qwyksilver
  • Like 1

There's a cooking competition show called My Kitchen Rules here in Aus - involves a bunch of couples who host a sort of dinner party-cum-restaurant at their home with the other contestants plus two chefs who are the hosts and there's scoring etc.

Anyway, last year one of the couples was a geek/gamer couple (housemates, one male one female) - when they were showing their backstory there was a number of shots of Warhammer Fantasy/40K minis.  Coupled with some footage of the male contestant mid game, rolling dice then excitedly throwing his hands in the air and yelling to the onlookers (and I kid you not):

"Yes! Two penetrations!"

I can't for the life of me imagine why the editors chose that particular dialog out of the rest of the game footage they must have taken...... :devil:

• Like 1

I only saw that specific episode because it got posted here on the forum.

Here's the discussion we had following the show.  

And damn, that was 8 years ago.  And I miss a lot of the posters in that thread who used to be regulars here.

Was the family ever found and their snakeman replaced? I NEED TO KNOW!

I'm surprised to see no one has mentioned "Zero Charisma," a movie I did not much care for, since it pretty much reinforces the stereotype that gamers are immature man-child losers.

However, they did have some very nice minis, in particular a Reaper ogre -- one of the Legendary Encounters pieces -- during one of the gaming sequences.

20014_w_2_a.jpg

...it also irritated me that during one sequence where the protagonist is painting some minis? He picks up a hero and the Goblin Queen and begins having them assault each other, complete with little sound effects. So naturally, that's when his mom walks in on him. Playing with toys.

Couldn't ask for better minis, though.

Edited by Dr.Bedlam
  • Like 1

Okay, so after starting this thread, by pure coincidence, I'm about to sit down and paint.  It's almost 11.00 am in the morning, my wife has just taken off to Zumba so I've got a solid hour or so to paint, and I need to start working on a figure I'm painting for my brother in law.  I turn on Netflix for some ambient blah blah blah, and grab a movie called "Unicorn City". I've seen it for only two minutes and the first thing on the screen are a bunch of painted Reaper miniatures.  Madness, sheer madness. Okay, back to painting...

• Like 3

What about E.T.?  Don't forget about E.T.!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XH7pABfm1HQ

I mean, I'm not sure I can actually see any miniatures, but they have walls, so there must be minis in there somewhere, right? 

Seeing those kids playing D&D in a big movie was a really striking experience when I was a kid. 

• Like 4

I was reading an article about "E.T." recently. Apparently, this scene was shorter in the original cut. When they got a "G" rating, Spielberg filmed and added some more footage in which one player refers to another as "penis breath," and then resubmitted the film.

Sure enough, that got it the PG he wanted.

• Like 1