Pingo

Pingo assays 03681: Nazera Bloodraven, Vampire

To be fair, its okay if the armor sparkles in the light, so long as the face doesn't.  :)  (in other words, that armor is cool as elf!)

• Like 2

I worked on her hair.  First I laid in a thin layer of a dark brown mixed from Burnt Umber with just a little Titanium White to give it a slight opacity.

post-8022-0-14759300-1477875853.jpg post-8022-0-80785400-1477875862.jpg

When that was dry I washed over her hair with a mix of Burnt Umber and Carbon Black, which acts a little like a liner to sink into the crannies and emphasize the dynamic flow of her hair (It's still a bit wet in these photos, which is why there is a bit of shine here and there).

post-8022-0-03579400-1477875944.jpg post-8022-0-23876200-1477875952.jpg

Then I fiddled rather a lot with mixed golden browns and pale yellows, from combinations of Burnt Umber, Burnt Sienna, Raw Sienna, and Titanium White.  I didn't take pictures of the in-between stages, but here is how her hair ended up.

post-8022-0-32961800-1477876073.jpg post-8022-0-96025200-1477876080.jpg

post-8022-0-04512400-1477876089.jpg post-8022-0-15121300-1477876105.jpg

post-8022-0-70348700-1477876112.jpg

I really like the sculptural quality of this figure, how she turns and flows interestingly from so many directions.

• Like 10

Very nice !

She is one cute Vampire!

( Hope the Countess won't hear me..she's pretty jealous)

• Like 1

I pulled up some highlights on her reds a bit, first laying them in with a dark pink mixed from Iron Oxide Red and Titanium White.

I'm also doing her sword here, black edged with red.

post-8022-0-35457000-1478369497.jpg

post-8022-0-12542900-1478369510.jpg

post-8022-0-06070600-1478369522.jpg

Then I glazed over the reds with a mix of Iron Oxide Red and Quinacridone Magenta, thinned to transparency.

post-8022-0-92842500-1478369598.jpg

post-8022-0-96644000-1478369619.jpg

An alternate lighting to show iridescence without a flash:

post-8022-0-47629600-1478369629.jpg

post-8022-0-23392200-1478369639.jpg

post-8022-0-60583300-1478369645.jpg

• Like 13

This thread is a very good as a lesson.

Thanks! I try to make all my WIPs educational.

ETA: Show off thread is up.

Edited by Pingo

Are you using soft or heavy body artists paints? I use the Liquitex pro line of heavy bodies on my paintings and made the mistake if using my (real) cadmium red on a figure once but my application process might have just been poor.

33 minutes ago, Thorn_678 said:

Are you using soft or heavy body artists paints? I use the Liquitex pro line of heavy bodies on my paintings and made the mistake if using my (real) cadmium red on a figure once but my application process might have just been poor.

I'm using Golden matte fluid acrylics.  I like heavy body acrylics, but I find them a little too thick for fine work like miniatures, and even soft body paints feel a bit much to my hand.

(It should be pointed out that these matte fluid acrylics are neither as matte nor as fluid as specialty miniatures paints. )

What was your difficulty with the Cadmium Red? I don't use the cadmium colors on miniatures because of the poisonous heavy metal problem, but they are otherwise useful opaque bright reds and yellows.  In part I've developed my layered techniques for reds and yellows as a workaround to avoid using those pretty, poisonous pigments.

• Like 1