Morihalda

Spring Exchange WIP - Pokemon Trainer and Flareon

Hey all! Now that the awesome Flamehawke has received her spring exchange mini, I'd love to post my sculpting progress for it!

It was a ton of fun making her, but I did have to wrestle with the green stuff to go the way I wanted sometimes. I haven't really learned how to handle it yet.

The folks in this thread, especially canuckotter and TaleSpinner, were a ton of help, so I hope y'all don't mind me bugging everyone here again for some real critiquing now!

The Trainer

I started with Sugar, Anime Heroine, by Bob Ridolfi, who became....

mzeSdfWl.jpg

... A Pokemon trainer on her way to be the best Pokemon master!!!

8ht4TvSh.jpg

I had no idea that conversions and sculpting took so much work!!   :wow:

This girl seriously needed her midriff covered if she was going to be running around the world all day, so I added that. The sculpt was pretty accurate - she had the square piece of fabric around the back of her neck, so I had to grind it down. Getting it level with the rest of her body with green stuff also solved her broken back syndrome. Super stylized characters can be fun, but I wanted to make it a bit more realistic. With Pokemon, she says. heh.

It was pretty enteraining to put on my workout shirts and leggings to see where the fabric folds would go. They seemed to match alright!

I decided a small travel bag would be handy for any Pokemon trainer, and it made the top of the skirt work as the bag's strap, as well as a belt for her snazzy new tunic. The skirt was hella short, so I imagine she's got some shorts under there, and the leggings seemed fun. Lots of Pokemon trainers have bicycle shorts or leggings! The leggings also seemed to cut down the length of her legs. I mean, she had nice legs to begin with, but they were crazy long for a young person, haha.

The hand took FOREVER. I watched a couple hand videos that were recommended by canuckotter, so that helped immensely. I'm mostly satisfied with the shape, but not the surface - it's so teeny that I couldn't use the normal shapers to smooth it out. When I tried using the flat side of a dental pick, I had the same problem that I had while sculpting - the green stuff would "pull" away, so it's like I have a million teeny spikes on the fingers.

And here she is, primed and ready for painting! The primer kept looking thick and chalky... :down:

qtwPjQjl.jpg

-----------

Flareon

A paaaaain. But so satisfying!!!

I didn't realize it took so long to create things from scratch! Letting each layer dry really tested my patience. I figured out real quick that that's just the way sculpting works after smushing the back legs several times when I impatiently tried to work on another section. :lol:

I used a lot of cat jumping references when sketching out, but the nicest looking one actually came from a.... squirrel. I eventually cut off the bottom piece of wire because it wasn't helping anything. A lot of this had to be sculpted while I held an appendage because I started before learning about pinning to cork. >_<

AaNeS8m.jpg

I am so proud of those teeny paws. :wub: The bug eyes got shaved waaay down after this photo was taken. I still need to work on the fur more.... I did buy vaseline and it kind of helped the putty pulling away probleim I was having.

NBk3XTw.jpg

Primed and ready to paint! Little paws again because they are cute. I used my cat for reference there, haha.

jmfPorm.jpg

-----------

Basing

Big thanks to ub3r here - I had planned to use plasticard for the base to make a simple grassy battle stadium, but I had forgotten about the bar under her feet! I attempted to base her on what she came on. Bad idea!

So ub3r recommended a second layer that the bar would hide in, and that worked out pretty well! I glued the mini, foam, and plasticard together, and then used green stuff over the whole thing.

apYFqcul.jpg

-----------

Final 

Final pictures are in this thread.

Thanks for looking and I hope you liked it! Critique is requested and appreciated for the sculpting!

Edited by Morihalda
  • Like 20

you have the sculptor hidden away in you... I think you did really well on the flareon and managed that pesky green stuff quite nicely!

:wub:

• Like 1

:O Thank you so much!

I really enjoy it and it's something I want to practice more. I'm actually about to work on some deer that I'm sculpting for my mother-in-law. They're not minis, though - about 7 inches tall!

• Like 1

I hadn't realized just how much work you'd done on converting the original mini - wow! And the little flareon looks so great! :wub: :wub: :wub:

Absolutely wonderful job!

• Like 2

Thanks everyone! ^_^

I hadn't realized just how much work you'd done on converting the original mini - wow! And the little flareon looks so great! :wub: :wub: :wub:

Absolutely wonderful job!

I never thought I'd be happy to receive a compliment about how folks didn't notice what I've changed! :lol: They were a ton of fun, I can't wait to do it again!

• Like 4

you have the sculptor hidden away in you... I think you did really well on the flareon and managed that pesky green stuff quite nicely!

:wub:

I agree. Morihalda did a very, very nice conversion on that miniature, and her Flareon is excellent. That is some proper sculpting.

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Morihalda
      Whoo! I primed these all last month after ReaperCon. And then they just sat there while I finished other stuff. But now my desk is clear and I'm ready for more art!

I am solidly in the "paint a solid color on the mini with a little shadow and highlight because I wanna play or sculpt" category. I also feel like I could have given my most recent sculpt a lot more love simply by not just painting her all the same shade of brown, haha!

So I've gathered up my paint, a handful of bones minis, my notes from Rhonda, Derek, and Erin, and now it's time to learn how to paint skin! I'm really excited to try out different expressions, skintones, and lighting. I went ahead and primed them so if we need them for any games, they won't have blinding white clothes on. I'm not certain on all the names, but all except maybe 1 or 2 of these were from my Bones III Kickstarter order.

I don't want to get pinged for nudity, so I gave this dryad a cute little Space Age dress in case she accidentally gets in the frame while I'm working on other pieces.

I'm pretty pleased with it. ;)
    • By Morihalda
      Hey all! This thread will be about my sculpting journey. I hope that by showing the time and effort it takes it pursue an art, others would be excited about trying it without getting discouraged by the climb up. I plan on posting daily here - I might as well continue my daily art streak!

Some days might have some cool stuff, but many will probably be like, "Oh man. I sculpted a lot of fur today. A. Lot."
      Anyways. Hopefully y'all will get some enjoyment out of it. Here's to day 1 (tomorrow)!

Comments and praise are appreciated, but please give critiques too!

Links to Sculpting Posts:
      Anatomy Practice Skeleton:
      06/19/17     06/20/17     06/21/17    06/22/17     06/23/17     06/24/17     06/25/17 RIP in pieces

First and Second Miniatures:
      06/26/17     06/27/17     06/28/17     06/29/17     06/30/17     07/01/17     07/02/17     
      Week 2. Nearly nonexistent. OUCH. I snuck in a little art doodle time to not break my streak!   
      07/10/17    07/12/17      07/13/17     07/18/17

Anatomy and Drapery Studies:
      Hogarth Mini 2 - legs and feet
      Pelvis Day

Sculpting a Bust (Nerali Fendyn, Dunmer inspired):
      Collect references and sketches!
      Armature
      Practice with Fimo
      And we're practicing....
      I ran out time to practice! Here's the body.
      The Face: Part 1, Part 2
      Kill it all, restart a million times over a week.
      The Hair: Part 1, Part 2
      Finished!
      Critiques

Sculpting a 72mm Figure (Sora Swifthistle, Sylvari):
      Collect references and sketches!
      The Armature: Part 1, Part 2 
      Legs: Part 1, Part 2

54mm Skeleton
      The armature and hips        Legs
      Tiny watering can                Arms

Conversions
      03844: Damaris (Maeryn/Maria Rumbeard) Different thread.
    • By Morihalda
      Hello friends! It's good to see you all again! My energy levels have been slowly ramping up over the last month, so now I'm excited to spend a bunch of it here with forum friends.  

My husband and I played D&D again with @Rainbow Sculptor and her family over the weekend and had a great time. While we were playing, they brought out this mini - she was gorgeous and I had completely forgotten that I had her too! I believe Damaris was 2017's Duskwarden mini.

Bobby Jackson already made her both fierce and a babe, so now I just gotta make her a pirate!
      My list:
      Add a very fine pirate hat Change her crossbow to a flintlock pistol Change the stone ground to wooden planks Hopefully carve down the quiver on her hip so I can make it a tankard.

I'm actually pretty hesitant about the pirate hat because it would hide the hair - and hair that awesome is a sculpting goal. Seriously. Look at that tiny braid and all the locks of hair.

But my girl Maria spent a lot of money on a very fine hat after she ran away to become a pirate. So on goes the hat.
    • By Morihalda
      Hello art family! Y'all might remember my 2016 thread, where I focused on making a habit of drawing every day. 2017 was wild and I decided against a thread here, but I have continued that art streak through this year with a slight change - painting and sculpting was allowed to sustain that miniatures habit.  

I'm getting a bit of a headstart with my 2018 thread! I'd love to learn some fancy traditional art school basics, and I think a lot of these things transfer over to most any type of art, like mini painting and sculpting.
      I see lots of friends here talking about color, lighting, and MORE CONTRAST, and I think we should check those cool things out!

When I start a new subject, I will list (but not link) books, websites, or other references so you can follow along if you'd like.  

Mori's Learning List!
      1. The Learning Mindset
      2. Proportions - The Head 
      3. Proportions - The Body
      4. Anatomy 
    • By Mckenna35
      I've had a chunk of antler sitting in my drawer of basing materials for years, waiting for the right figure to use it on.  I recently acquired the Bombshell Miniature Morihalda bust, and inspiration stuck!  The antler was cut at a weird angle but I was able to use a hacksaw and a miter box to square off the top.  I have the dilemma of trying to figure out a) the right orientation of the bust to the base, and b) if I want to fare in the bust pedestal to the antler using green stuff.  I plan on putting a couple of pins in her base, and then matching sockets in the antler.  I figure I can blank off the top of the antler with shrink wrap and then do the sculpting work (if I choose to pursue that) which would enable me to separate them again for priming/painting purposes.  Anyway, I've come to you brave forumites for advice!  I've got four pictures attached showing the four possible orientations of the bust/antler.  Let me know which one you think is the most appealing choice!  I'm partial to #3 myself, but my wife likes #4.

• Who's Online   21 Members, 1 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)