Reaperbryan

Tyranid Hive Fleet Chernabaug, Tabletop quality

130 posts in this topic

Congrats!

And, great army and board.

1 person likes this

Congrats!

Nothing like winning a gaming or painting event to put some spring into your step for awhile.

1 person likes this

Excellent news! That display board is a right looker ^_^.

Funnily enough, looking at this thread got me motivated enough to work on my own Tyranids. I don't know whether to thank you or not like you. All the building and painting of little bugs... Anyway, I'm starting off with a big bug to get my juices flowing.

Did they let you keep the cookies in the last picture? I mean, that's the real prize :lol:.

3 people like this

Congratulations!!

Although it has been a while since I updated this thread with my activity on the Fleet, it has not been dormant.

Everything I have painted for the fleet since the last update here was more models of a type already showcased, and I didn't want to flood the thread with "oh 10 more termagants this week. 10 more this week. 10 more this week... hey, these are all the same? No, they're different, but they're all the same model"

Anyway, here's my progress this weekend: 6 more Warriors and... 10 more termagants.

IMG_7454.JPG

The Warrior models in the back row have unique weapon options, so I have 3 groups of 3 warriors, each group with a different load out for combat.

In game terms, this is AWFUL. It's normally considered best to focus the model on one battlefield role - each weapon being specialized for a different task (the 3 warriors with the long Venom Cannons shown above, for example, have long range and are best against large models - monsters, tanks, etc., where the 3 with double scything talons are best for ripping apart medium to heavy infantry).  My other 3 warriors, found upthread, have the conic weapons that these Termagants also share, and are for killing light infantry. In theory, by having only 3 Warriors in each role, instead of all 9 sharing the same, I am less effective at any given one.

Anyway - To demonstrate my overall progress, here's a bookcase shot:

IMG_8226.JPG

Hive Fleet Chernabaug as shown has 214 painted models - 49 on the top shelf, and 165 on the bottom shelf. (My last Progress Update in this thread was 157 total painted, so I completed 57 models in the quiet 5 months since then)

Some slight color variations were introduced, which I'm not crazy about, as I experimented with the formulas, but I'm not overly concerned.

===================

Remaining models to paint:

1 Carnifex

10 Termagants with Spinefists

10 Termagants with Devourers

8 Termagants with Fleshborers

1 Hormagaunt (I found him in my bits bin, I guess I missed him when I did the 38 pictured above)

10 Gargoyles

1 Tyrannocyte

1 Mycetic Spore Mine

3 Venomthropes

1 Swarmlord

-------

46 models remain

82.6% complete. I expect the above unfinished list to take me 5-6 more weeks, ReaperCon adding some time to that.

10 people like this

I am surprised you had spare time to get any of these done!

Looking good so far and beyond the halfway  way point at least.

Great Army!!

IMG_5959.JPG

super productive Google Hangout tonight. Finished 11 more models!

7 people like this

Wow that is a lot of minis.. Now thats a proper horde! Wait what? Thats an orc thing? Err.. Ok.. Thats a proper hive then?

And congrats on the win too btw. :B):

You have a very cool looking paint scheme, and quite the impressive swarm of bugs!

Tonight, we're having what we call "build night" at Reaper HQ. A bunch of us get together and assemble models, ostensibly to help reduce the number of unopened kits and models we ALL have in our offices. (it has worked - I'm down to a grand total of 18 unassembled kits at the moment) My objective is to assemble the last remaining unassembled models (18) for this Hive Fleet, and then get all unassembled models primed so that I can begin base coating the last 35 models (that count includes the 18 I will try to have assembled tonight).

I will post pictures tonight of everything remaining. And I've determined my shelves aren't big enough and I need a third shelf for the remaining models, but not a full third shelf, so I think instead of having the Devouring Swarm of Hive Fleet Chernabaug share a shelf with one of my armies that takes up only half a shelf, I obviously need more models for the fleet. 

To that End, I have begun preparing a list of the next acquisitions, prioritized. 

This is normal, and I don't have a problem. Any attempt to have an intervention will be met with me sending @buglips*the*goblin to live in your vents. 

8 people like this

6 hours ago, Reaperbryan said:

Tonight, we're having what we call "build night" at Reaper HQ. A bunch of us get together and assemble models, ostensibly to help reduce the number of unopened kits and models we ALL have in our offices. (it has worked - I'm down to a grand total of 18 unassembled kits at the moment) My objective is to assemble the last remaining unassembled models (18) for this Hive Fleet, and then get all unassembled models primed so that I can begin base coating the last 35 models (that count includes the 18 I will try to have assembled tonight).

I will post pictures tonight of everything remaining. And I've determined my shelves aren't big enough and I need a third shelf for the remaining models, but not a full third shelf, so I think instead of having the Devouring Swarm of Hive Fleet Chernabaug share a shelf with one of my armies that takes up only half a shelf, I obviously need more models for the fleet. 

To that End, I have begun preparing a list of the next acquisitions, prioritized. 

This is normal, and I don't have a problem. Any attempt to have an intervention will be met with me sending @buglips*the*goblin to live in your vents. 

Going to bring a tablet / smart phone and hangout?

Get the rest of the crew involved!

1 person likes this