TheOldGuard

ME1 - Frodo, Citadel 1980's Vintage LOTR

Great work, thanks for sharing.  Beautiful miniature that makes the words "old school" irrelevant.

Frodo seems to be having a particularly confident moment here: "You see this little ring?  You don't want to mess with me and this ring."

I've been wanting to do a better job with my static grass.   Which box do you have, if you don't mind my asking?

• Like 1

Wow, those are some serious eyebrows, lol... ::D:

(Is it just me, or does he look a little bit like Nicholas Cage?)

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 4

Great work, thanks for sharing.  Beautiful miniature that makes the words "old school" irrelevant.

Frodo seems to be having a particularly confident moment here: "You see this little ring?  You don't want to mess with me and this ring."

I've been wanting to do a better job with my static grass.   Which box do you have, if you don't mind my asking?

No problem!

It's called "Flockbox" & I first heard about it from KruleBear on this topic so all credit & thanks to him for that. There's some videos on YouTube showing it in action/explaining it etc.

I really like it, it's easy to use, it works very well & is almost magical to watch in action. ::):

Good grief, how small is this gem?

He's about 19mm tall excluding the base.

Wow, those are some serious eyebrows, lol... ::D:

(Is it just me, or does he look a little bit like Nicholas Cage?)

Indeed, the mother of all eyebrows!

Edited by TheOldGuard

But, but t he doesn't even look like the Frodo from the movies!!! :upside:

He looks awesome!
Great job!

• Like 2

Splendid work.

Please tell me that Strider has pants.

• Like 1

Splendid work.

Please tell me that Strider has pants.

LOL! His legs are mostly boot with a flash of thigh at the top. I can assure you that I definitely won't be going down the pant-less Bakshi route! :poke:

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Lidless Eye
      A raiding of Rad Wasters and a gobbledegook of Goblins.

All are converted from "The Hobbit: Escape from Goblin Town". I can see these filling a large number of roles; Goblins, Mutants, Poxwalkers, Ghouls, or more!

Except for the Overseer and Goblin boss, all minis have been converted.  Even the fantasy/feudal 40k gobbo-mutants have had weapon swaps at the least; I don't care for doubles and had already painted their base sculpt back in the summer:

First, we have the Rad Wasters!

I forgot to take a shot of the last one with the others.  I guess he managed to sneak into the Goblin cave!

• By Pingo
      So I spotted what looked like a sweet little wolfman, unpainted but inked a little over the metal and glued to a square of wood in a comics shop some while ago and bought it and took it home and pried it off the old base and discovered it said "Grenadier 1987." Score!

Turns out it is a werejackal, coded MM93, and was first released as part of the set "Monster Manuscript Vol. XI" which also included the one Nosferatu-type vampire I didn't have in zer old days from the set of three I painted recently.

Anyhow, I cleaned it up and painted it like a black-backed jackal 'cos they look cool.

There is no WIP thread.

Also I had a picture book of Zimbabwe and decided to play a little bit with backgrounds.

• By TheOldGuard
      Hi All!

I've just been rearranging my display shelves & have noticed that I actually have a few minis that I have never shown on these boards. They are the first ones that I painted a few years ago when I returned to the hobby after many, many years. I will show the others soon but to begin with, here's GW's Gandalf The White & Shadowfax.

The actual paint job is essentialy me getting back in the swing of things by copying the image on the miniatures' packaging, I made the base terrain(s) using air drying clay, gravel & sand & added some grass clumps to finish.

Gandalf on foot

Gandalf mounted on Shadowfax

Back soon with something "big, ferocious & wingy" - thanks for looking!

• By Sanael
      In my last Lunch Sessions thread, I posted this teaser:

This Clearly Non-Hobbit mini was a special piece created by Victoria Lamb (I'm not sure at this point whether it was limited edition, or convention-only, or what) which I picked up at Reapercon 2015 (Victoria was there, talking about OSL, go figure).
      If you're at all familiar with Victoria's painting work, you know she's an incredible OSL painter, and this sculpt is perfect for the technique. Both the torch and the sword (given the clear "sting" of inspiration) are light sources, and both the clothes and the base offer some really great lines for casting shadows and catching light.
      I'm very excited to paint this fellow, as OSL is one of the more advanced techniques that has always drawn my attention...and there are several pieces I want to do up to competition level involving OSL, for which this piece will serve as practice. I intend to take him up to display or competition quality, so please comment and critique as I move along.

My intent with the lighting is to have a very strong yellow-to-orange light cast by the torch, with a very soft bluish light from the sword. I want to play with the interaction where the light sources contact each other, as well as see what I get on different colors of fabric.

This week will be mostly blocking colors in, so I know what the light is falling on. If I move really quickly, I'll start playing with shadows, but I doubt that will come until next week.

DAY 01
      30 minutes

A few basecoats. I started by basing the skin in Carrot Top Red, then lining everything in Blackened Brown.

After lining the base, you can really see where those stones are going to create some really cool cast shadows from the torch.

Following that, I mixed P3 Coal Black into the Blackened Brown and hit his hair with it, then based his coat in Ancient Oak.

I'm choosing black hair mostly because I think it will be the most forgiving of the multi-colored light sources. Trying to figure out how to play with two light sources filtering through translucent hair is beyond the scope of what I'm hoping to accomplish right now. Baby steps, right?

And that's all for today. Tomorrow will see the pants and leathers blocked in, and possibly his eyes. Once the eyes are done, I'll block in the "visible" skin tone (no, he won't stay that orange!)
    • By Auberon
      The dwarf is the 5th figure that I have painted from the old Grenadier 2007 set.  It was so hideous that I never posted it, partially because I didn't really like the figure and just slapped some paint on it to call it done.  I mean, those eyes were just sculpted circles.  I filled the center with color, edge highlighted the raised outer edge, and then went around them with a shadow color.  If you are an aspiring sculptor... never ever sculpt eyes like it is 1980.  But I was talked into posting it, so blame 72moonglum and Volksfest for the horror.

For scale, here is the dwarf between and Infinity Nomad and a Reaper bugbear.  Knee-capping is her only option.

• Who's Online   33 Members, 2 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)