691 posts in this topic

*trudges into his own cave again and invites guests to come ask him questions of any kind*

Welp, I've been kicked out of the Goblin Cave now have new digs, feel free to ask me whatever you like.

Edited by ub3r_n3rd
8 people like this

Pulling up a log, and adjusting the robes to minimize the amount of contact with the floor.

Question:  When do you begin to think of Basing a miniature, and what considerations enter into your mind ?

a.  Is it the figure ?

b.  Is it a possible story ?

c.  is it a way to show off the paint job that you did ?

or do you just look at the miniature and say.. he needs to look like "X"..with this background ?

Might put a few candles into the grooves in the walls to add some extra light..

Open flame pit is nice an inviting and the pile of bacon on spit sticks is a nice enhancement  !

Oh.. Thanks for the skull of mead next to my log.. Skol !!!!

5 people like this

What should my first question for you be?

4 people like this

Pulling up a log, and adjusting the robes to minimize the amount of contact with the floor.

Question:  When do you begin to think of Basing a miniature, and what considerations enter into your mind ?

a.  Is it the figure ?

b.  Is it a possible story ?

c.  is it a way to show off the paint job that you did ?

or do you just look at the miniature and say.. he needs to look like "X"..with this background ?

Might put a few candles into the grooves in the walls to add some extra light..

Open flame pit is nice an inviting and the pile of bacon on spit sticks is a nice enhancement  !

Oh.. Thanks for the skull of mead next to my log.. Skol !!!!

*looks at his friend over the crackling of a good fire while slurping coffee out of his skull mug and frying up some bacon and leans forward almost singeing his beard...again*

When I look at a miniature and thinking about the basing, I ask myself a few different questions:

1. Who is this supposed to be - are they good or bad, are they fun and laid back or adventurous?
  2. Where are they from - mountains, underground, city, wilderness, etc?
  3. What kind of story do I want to tell - something funny, dangerous, or easy-going?
  4. Do I want this to be a single figure with scenic basing, or does it call for a bigger story with friend(s) or enemy(ies)?

A lot of times, a single figure will jolt me and I'll see it in my mind's eye and know exactly what I want to do with it and how I want to tell the story and what other types of figures I want to use in connection.  I try to make sure that the basing is cohesive with the figure using almost all of the same colors, I try to keep things nice and tight as the masters have told me to do, using elevation for dramatic effect, using the odd numbers of figures rather than even, and using the "triangle" in where to place figures rather than a straight line or in a box of some sort.

There are times I change my mind on how I wish to approach and do things and what I want as the project moves along, I try to be very fluid with how to come about the ideas that enter my mind and don't always go off my initial idea, but rather riff off of it and try to improve it, I ask friends and mentors what they think and try to incorporate the things I like to fit my own style. Right now I'm on a huge "dynamic" scenes kick where I want the pieces to tell an action/adventure story, something with high drama and dangerous elements, I want the viewers to look at it and ask themselves, "what is going to happen next!?" and grab their attention and fuel their imaginations.

5 people like this

What should my first question for you be?

Of course it's, "what is best in life?"  :;):

2 people like this

pops in with a side of bacon and a keg of mead

These are for your cave warming, here you go!

So, do you prefer raiding by land or by sea?

5 people like this

pops in with a side of bacon and a keg of mead

These are for your cave warming, here you go!

So, do you prefer raiding by land or by sea?

By land, I don't swim very well. I more slap at the water and hope that I don't drown. Give me good hard ground under my feet to race across the landscape with a shout of rage in my lungs and my double-bladed vorpal axe in my hands, doing some good ol' raiding and pillaging! 

Much respect for my Viking kin, they do well with their water raidin'.

6 people like this

Why did you leave the cap off my toothpaste?

Come to that... why do I have toothpaste?

8 people like this

Oh I thought it was that dark stuff that you put under your eyes to make you look all tough....maybe you stoled it from an evil wizard, no idea.

4 people like this

Oh I thought it was that dark stuff that you put under your eyes to make you look all tough....maybe you stoled it from an evil wizard, no idea.

Did you just accuse Buglips of wearing eyeliner or are you saying that you do? 

8 people like this

Yes.

6 people like this

Yes.

Interesting.  What other makeup products do barbarians and goblins share?

6 people like this

Interesting.  What other makeup products do barbarians and goblins share?

We test all sorts of products on them, you name it, we've tested it on them. They have similar skin types and smells. 

6 people like this

Wait, what happened?

4 people like this

Wait, what happened?

I believe the goblin evicted the barbarian for using his toothpaste as eye shadow.  No word on why a goblin had toothpaste or whether the barbarian's eyeballs are now minty fresh.

Ub3r,  now that you no longer live in the goblin lair is it back on the list of places to raid?

4 people like this