14 posts in this topic

Aw, man...

Another newbie that's better than me... 

Well, maybe not at the photography part, but... ;-)

It's OK to post slightly larger pictures in these threads. How else can we show off the details?

I resize all my pictures to 1024 x 768 before posting, and it seems the uploader automagically adds thumbnails for them.

3 people like this

Welcome to the forum!  ^_^

Everything looks awesome, especially for being such a new painter! I love that you're trying out lots of different things (and succeeding rather well at them!) and seem to be having a lot of fun with it! The more you paint, the more comfortable you'll get with it, so definitely keep coming up with firsts to try but also practice the seconds and fourths and twenties.

My only comment would be to bring your highlights up a little higher so you get more contrast - it'll really make a difference both in pictures and on the table.

It helps to ask about something specific that you're looking for a critique on; ie. What do you think about the blending on his skin? Does this fur read well enough like fur? etc.

You seem to be building a really great foundation for your painting; I look forward to seeing more work from you!

Edited by Guindyloo
7 people like this

As mentioned, you seem to have the basics down pretty well. Just keep practicing them - there's no such thing as "good enough" when it comes to brush control and nice clean lines.

(A lot of new painters that have picked up the hobby fairly easily (which isn't hard to do these days with all the youtube tutorial videos and such) tend to rush past the more basic stuff without putting in the work to truly master them, but eventually it begins to show when they try to pull off more advanced things like glazing or wet-blending that really rely on having that mastery of the basics to do well.)

And the standard advise to newbies is always to make your highlights higher and your shadows deeper - it's easy to tone them down a bit afterward if you've gone too far.

4 people like this

Very nice work, especially for as long as you've been painting.

To level up your photography, you might want to start here:

http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/55357-miniatures-photography-101/

Thanks for the photo advice Doug! Would it be taboo to update my post with better pictures?

Not at all. You might want to put in an edit note and an update note so that anyone who is following the thread can go back to see the images again, but that's up to you.

1 person likes this

Really like your color selection on the lich. Also great job on the lava for the basing of the demon. You are off to an excellent start, wish I was painting half as well as you when I got into it.

1 person likes this

Welcome to the hobby! You are off to an excellent start. Just remember to have fun!

1 person likes this

These are awesome! I love that you dove into the hobby and got so many "firsts" at once. I hope you stay awhile and have fun! ^_^

Edited by Morihalda
1 person likes this

Welcome!!!

Very cool stuff.

Have fun and keep showing the minis.

And by all means, edit if yo got better pics.

I love the Bone Horror.

2 people like this

You have very nice brush control. I like the colors you chose for the lich. These all look very nice!

1 person likes this

Welcome to the forums!!

You're off to a very good start; keep it up!

1 person likes this