Sign in to follow this  
Garomero

Reaper Deathsleet Dragon (Rainbow Scheme)

I support gaudy dragons. 

your black-lining is a little heavy, especially on the outer (gold) wings, its kind of distracting. 

and on the wing spikes, I usually try for white, brown, black lines at the base of the claw-things.  Where did I put that tutorial... 

hmm that wasn't the one I learned on, but it is the same technique. 

but that dragon has great impact, it will be awesome on the table. 

Edited by Evilhalfling
  • Like 1

Ooh, you even did the back ridges rainbow coloured all the way to the end of the tail. Nice!

• Like 1

What Pseudodragons pretend to be when they dream.....

Actually that dragon needs to meet up with a certain similarly colored knight recently posted on here..... ::):

• Like 3

Shiny... :B):

The one comment that I would make is that I agree that the black-lining on the vanes of the wings and inbetween the rainbow colors is a bit heavy...

When you paint multi-colored wings, the lines of color need to closely follow the lines of the wing and the vanes in order to look natural. It's easiest to paint each section between the vanes one at a time as its own shape - each color should be roughly sort of the same wedge shape as that section of wing, with the wedges getting consecutively smaller the closer you get to the front edge of the wing. It's not unlike drawing a spiderweb. Thus, on Deathsleet, it might look something like this...

Here are a couple of examples of multi-colored wings I've done: magenta-orange-peach and magenta-orange-yellow...

• Like 1

Now you have me wanting to get another dragon and try something like this...

While I agree that the black lining looks harsh in the photos, I still like the effect - especially that gradient down the spine. Subtle, but effective. ^^

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Citrine
      After 6 months of painting 4-10 hours a week on this monster, I am finally finished with Reaper Bones Ma'al Drakar 77580.  

WIP Here: http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/78573-citrine-tries-to-tackle-maaldrakar-77580/&tab=comments#comment-1668344

• By 72moonglum
      Good evening folks,

So here is one I just finished up, a really old school Partha Piece, don't recall her original name, but she's some kind of sorceress or Dragon Lady. Sculpted by Tom Meier, this one didn't have a year on the bottom, but I think this was probably sculpted originally 1977-1979 or so.  I did the base as just one flat blue color, that as I look at it, I'm regretting. I might go back and do a little something with it. I didn't want to do a natural, grass and dirt base, because I didn't want to hide any of the dragon, who is not too large.

• By Iridil
      I've lurked for about a year - finally got up the courage to post. I've returned to painting after a break of many years. This is a recent figure I'm proud of  (my photography skills however....) - hope you enjoy

• By Geoff Davis
      03157: Garwin Greywand, Wizard sculpted by Bobby Jackson.  Continuing on with practicing OSL.  I started by undershading with dark brown and purple and highlighted up to linen white on his body and base.  I did the same thing but with black and greys on his staff.

I then added the blue for his robe, using two sets of blues.  One set has no light effect colour added.  The other set has the yellow added.  I did the shading and highlighting on the dark side with the blues that didn't have the yellow added.  I used the set with the yellow added anywhere that I thought the light was going to hit, using the undershading as a guide as to where that would be.  The yellow I mixed with the blue is also used on the orb.

Then I added the other colours (particularly the staff and the fleshtones) using the same approach of mixing up two sets of the colours to use side by side.

Overall I'm pleased with the way it's turning out.  A few of the values seem out of balance though.  Particularly parts of the staff compared to the adjacent areas on his robe.  Some of the flesh tones that are further away from the orb need to be darker still.  The part of the staff directly below the orb seems too bright overall, especially right beneath the orb.  Still a work in progress.

• By Nightwing
      I’ve been working on this guy for months, off and on. Finally pushed him through to completion last night. I hope you like him. 

• Who's Online   22 Members, 1 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)