Sign in to follow this  
Garomero

Reaper Deathsleet Dragon (Rainbow Scheme)

I support gaudy dragons. 

your black-lining is a little heavy, especially on the outer (gold) wings, its kind of distracting. 

and on the wing spikes, I usually try for white, brown, black lines at the base of the claw-things.  Where did I put that tutorial... 

hmm that wasn't the one I learned on, but it is the same technique. 

but that dragon has great impact, it will be awesome on the table. 

Edited by Evilhalfling
  • Like 1

Ooh, you even did the back ridges rainbow coloured all the way to the end of the tail. Nice!

• Like 1

What Pseudodragons pretend to be when they dream.....

Actually that dragon needs to meet up with a certain similarly colored knight recently posted on here..... ::):

• Like 3

Shiny... :B):

The one comment that I would make is that I agree that the black-lining on the vanes of the wings and inbetween the rainbow colors is a bit heavy...

When you paint multi-colored wings, the lines of color need to closely follow the lines of the wing and the vanes in order to look natural. It's easiest to paint each section between the vanes one at a time as its own shape - each color should be roughly sort of the same wedge shape as that section of wing, with the wedges getting consecutively smaller the closer you get to the front edge of the wing. It's not unlike drawing a spiderweb. Thus, on Deathsleet, it might look something like this...

Here are a couple of examples of multi-colored wings I've done: magenta-orange-peach and magenta-orange-yellow...

• Like 1

Now you have me wanting to get another dragon and try something like this...

While I agree that the black lining looks harsh in the photos, I still like the effect - especially that gradient down the spine. Subtle, but effective. ^^

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By TheOldGuard
      Greetings!

Another skeleton. This one is very adept at fighting around corners or in circular rooms...

Thanks for looking!!

• By TheOldGuard
      Greetings!

You can never have too many skellies...... This Bones one has quite a lean on it, I did give a bit of the old "boil 'n' chill" before painting but unfortunately it sprang back over time.

Thanks for looking!!

• By Crowley
      In the Storm King's Thunder campaign I'm playing in we've had 2 encounters with an ancient blue dragon named Iymrith. I don't have a painted blue dragon... And my very pregnant DM isn't going to get one bought and painted before we need her, so...

Digging through my minis, I figured Narthrax was as close as I've got. It was going to be blue anyway (or dessert sands brown) so that was my top choice. I also thought about the wizkids dragons, but the FLGS only had the green, and I wasn't all that impressed with the sculpt. I'd rather drop $30 on another Narthrax if I'm gonna paint a brown one in the future.

Tonight I pulled her out, scrubbed her down, and started working on her base.
      She could probably for on a smaller base, but with her wingspan, and the fact that she's an ancient dragon, I figure she deserves it.

and the cork will give her some extra height. 

It helps her look even bigger as compared to Blightfang!

More to come!
    • By woj1s
      Hello friends!

My son and I play Talisman 4th edition all the time. I'ts his favorite game. The figures that come with the game aren't the greatest sculpts. With the Talisman board game having some great themed art i've wanted to get some cool Reaper Bones figures as replacements, paint them up and base them for the game.

I've searched Reapers database to find figures that matched the likenesses of the miniatures that come with the game and the art on each character card. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to go with the strictly Bones route. There are some figures in the Dark Heaven Legends line that fit better.

The attached is what i've come up with so far. I've included a photo of the original character cards and another photo of the corresponding Reaper figures that i've been thinking about.

• By Cygnwulf
      Everyone, meet Viridius.  

He's a hefty boi.  No Ma'al or Kalladrax, but still pretty big. He doesn't even fit in my light box, as you can see.   
      I've thought a long time about how I was going to paint him up, I don't think I'm going to go with the standard green dragon look.  Instead I'm going to take my inspiration from the time of year, and make him an autumn forest dragon, whose coloration changes with the forest around him.   So I'll be doing him in mostly golden yellows to oranges and reds, but keeping some greenish tones as the base of scales and other places, to kind of give a reminder of the verdent glory he was before.

One thing I'm choosing to see as an opportunity is that the tops of his wings are very smooth, ideal for some freehand work.  The question is, what to do?  Some kind of leaf like pattern, or perhaps a butterfly like eye pattern (in the leaf colors, of course)

Out of the box bag he was in pretty good shape.  The usual mold line cleanup, though he has some gaps that will need to be filled.  I followed up with reshaping the wings a little with some boiling water.  I forgot to get a complete before picture, but below you can see the before and after for the right wing

I've had to fully assemble him, I don't like the way the wing joins look without greenstuff, so that's going to be the first order of business.  So painting around the wings might be a chore, but it's nothing I haven't dealt with before (Although, not in recent history)

I begain the gapfill on the right side, but after sticking a finger in greenstuff twice and having to flip him back to touch up the texture, I decided to call it a night and do the left side gaps later.

• Who's Online   25 Members, 3 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)