Sign in to follow this  
Guildenstern

advice for making bandanas?

I want to make a few bandana type hats for my Orks, as my theme with them is Pirates!

I have silicon clay shapers, Greenstuff, vaseline and well, gumption. But I don't know quite how to go about this. I usually just use Greenstuff for gap filling and such. I was thinking of basically taking the GS, squishing it flat, and cutting triangles out of it, which I would then use to form the "hat" portion (I'm envisioning these like a kerchief if that helps make sense). One thing I'm very uncertain about is how to do a "knot" type look on the back?

If anyone has any advice about the knot, or about the hat idea at all, I'd dearly love to hear it!

The most important thing to remember is that green stuff is not cloth.  When mimicking cloth, don't use cloth techniques (mostly).  The parts of a bandana around the head are the wrinkly bit over the scalp, the knot at the back of the head, and then the tails of the knot.  You can probably do the tails and knot as one piece stuck to the back of the swim cap bit:

16067626687_1911d5d47f_c.jpg

This one's lego, but hopefully illustrates the concept.

• Like 1

Yeah, you'll want to do a cap on the head (with whatever sort of detail you'd want on it), then add the two dangling ends, and then put a tiny ball of putty over that for the knot so that it looks like the tails are sticking out of it.

Look at a baseball or an actual knot, particularly one called a "monkey fist."  Roll up a ball and cut perpendicular bands into it, basically.  With luck, the picture will demonstrate better than words.

Ed:  for a bandanna knot, I'd just do one pass instead of three on each area.

300px-Knot_Monkey_Fist.jpg

Edited by BLZeebub
  • Like 1

You can also use a very small x of putty over the tail of the scarf to give you the appearance of a knot. This is similar to what BLZeebub is suggesting, I think, though easier for me to conceive.

Look at a baseball or an actual knot, particularly one called a "monkey fist."  Roll up a ball and cut perpendicular bands into it, basically.  With luck, the picture will demonstrate better than words.

I am surprised somebody else knows that knot!   did you tie it or grab a picture off the net?

I am surprised somebody else knows that knot!   did you tie it or grab a picture off the net?

I ganked it--thanks Google.  We use them to add weight to the end of ropes for weapons training (kung fu equivalent to Japanese kusari-fundo).

Cool! thanks mucho - will let you know how it goes... I'm very nervous. But, nothing ventured and all that.

That knot is awesome btw, I think I'll try to start with the X as suggested by Doug, as it sounds simpler but have to see how it goes.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Sanael
      So, a looooooong time ago, I painted this as a gift to my then-girlfriend (now wife), known to a few around here as Nissiana:

Then the 54mm "Master Series" came out. Nissiana picked up the Monique DeNoir figure and painted a stellar monochrome version as a gift for me. Around the same time (shortly after the model was released, so early 2008), I picked up the 54mm counterpart of the above figure, Maria Roseblade. I intended at the time to paint her as a gift to Nissiana...and I started painting her. Got a few basecoats, even. Then, other projects for games, contests, etc. cropped up and Maria was sidelined. It's been a running joke ever since, as Nissiana knows about the intended gift.

So, before mid-March 2018, I want to finish this up.

Here's where we are:

I want to follow the oxblood leather/blue top ideas of the original figure, but the light blue piping is getting replaced with ivory lace. I'm also happy with where I left a lot of the skin, so I don't need to repaint much. But there's plenty left to do!

The white patch on her thigh is greystuff, required for some gap filling.

Here we go!
    • By Envii
      I'm painting a Rageclaw Warrior and I'm trying to figure out what this thing is.  He has a leather strap wrapped around one of his hind legs and there's something hanging off it.  Can anyone tell what it is?  It's a package or a letter maybe?  I don't know what color to paint it.

• By Sulka
      Hey there, I'm very new to sculpting, and i was hoping for some advice in removing the "seams" that show up when you add a new blob of greenstuff onto your model, I've been using Vaseline, and a small slightly rounded steel dental tool for the bulk of my sculpt, i can get most of the height difference to go away, but the seam is still visible, I'm mostly trying to blend it into other soft green stuff underneath it, i don't have too much trouble blending a soft layer into a cured layer,  any advice, tips or techniques 

Also, I appreciate all the great tips I've already found on the forum, its saved me from having to do a lot of trial and error on my own
    • By Crowley
      Time to get the crew together, starting with the Heritor and Warden!

Tonight was all about cleaning flash and mold lines, and there was a fair bit to do on both of these ladies. Also the Heritors swords were both really bent. They'll both be cut from their bases tomorrow and attached to new textured bases that all of the crew will be using.

More on that tomorrow!
    • By ChristopherGeorge
      Hi Guys!

Another quick update! I've just finished adding hair onto Deva. I love this sculpt, the only thing that i didn't like was that she was bald. I wanted more of a Valkyrie descending from heaven look for the model as i'm going to need it for an upcoming campaign. So, out comes the greenstuff. I'd previously experimented with adding beards to models and i figured that hair couldn't be much different could it? Turns out it's really different. Hair flows in different ways to beards, particularly if you're wanting long flowing locks of the stuff.

Still, i'm very happy with how it came out even if it took me most of an afternoon just to do add strands into the hair locks.

As far as colouring goes, nothing to controversial, while dress, silver armour. I added alot of blue highlights to the base of the dress, trying to go for an ethereal summoning vibe.The wings caused me a little grief as i was going for more of a pigeon white colour, until i realised that was really understated, so I added a touch of gold and silver and that really brought out the highlights. I thought the effect was so good, i gave it another coat. In hindsight the second coat of silver may have been a mistake, but still. Live and learn.

Anyway guys, As always comments/critiques are appreciated, but please be gentle i've only just picked up painting again and i'm still trying to learn the ropes :)

Have fun,

Christopher George

• Who's Online   42 Members, 1 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)