Reaperbryan

Funded
Secret Weapon - Tablescapes Dungeons: Mines

456 posts in this topic

Well...carp...*wallet begins to wheeze*

3 people like this

fwiw, I think the Malice RPG walls are designed so that you can reach the miniatures more easily, or let oversized (eg. demon wings) miniatures not get blocked by a wall. It's a design choice, so ymmv with your set of miniatures.

I've used Malice RPG walls as terrain as much as walls. Pics suggest you use the Malice RPG game tiles separately from other game tiles, but you can use them with other game tiles. Here, I'm making a 3D Massive Darkness tile with game tiles, and using wall corner and other sections from Malice RPG as dungeon decor, rather than walls. Particularly, the pillar and low wall sections in the lower right is supposed to be a corner wall.

pic3054461_md.jpg

3 people like this

<Lets out huge breath> I saw something I wasn't supposed to see at Reapercon last year and I've been holding my tongue ever since.

It's nice to see that these are now on the docket! They look fantastic and I can't wait to see how the KS goes!

Now… there are three partners listed on the image. Will Reaper be running the Kickstarter campaign?

Secret Weapon will be running the project, under their account, which were used for the first Tablescapes project. Reaper is involved as a logistical partner and consultant, we helped set SW up with our contacts in manufacturing for PVC product, as well as we will be running the pledge manager and have "collaborator" status on their project, and can make edits and leave comments. We are helping them with a lot of the behind the scenes math, but at the end of the day, this truly is Secret Weapon's product.

I should add on a personal note that I had invested some significant time working with our sculptors and Izzy on a similar project, and when Justin showed us these prototypes we realized how his product was simply a much better tile set than what we had been doing thus far. As he approached us for some consultation, we revealed our project to him, which would have been a competing product, and we volunteered how we were more excited by his than by our own. After some lengthy negotiation, we realized we could help him more as a consultant and abandoned our project (I still have some of my hand-built prototypes in my office, they would have been my first sculpting credit!) in favor of putting our full faith and support behind Tablescapes. Wile I'm sad that my work will never see the light of day, I'm absolutely thrilled to be able to help bring this product to all of you in it's place!

Justin and the crew at Dark Arts Miniatures have done a top-notch job. Not only are these pieces absolutely gorgeous and tremendous fun (I've been building layouts in my office since March when Justin gave me my own set to use for photos and promotion), they're intelligently designed and well engineered.

fwiw, I think the Malice RPG walls are designed so that you can reach the miniatures more easily, or let oversized (eg. demon wings) miniatures not get blocked by a wall. It's a design choice, so ymmv with your set of miniatures.

Something not incredibly obvious in the first picture, is that these Secret Weapon Tablescape Dungeon tiles have both 1" walls and 2" wall sections - allowing both the versatility of being better able to reach your models (as you ascribe to the other product) and a visual compatibility with existing product. Let me get some picture of that.

These pictures show some of the 1" tall wall sections, and some of the 2" sections - there's more variation of parts than are shown here, but this should give you a feel for how they fit with other sets.

IMG_3923.jpg

This picture shows the variable wall heights - there's 2" column, 2" walls, and 1" columns and 1" walls. Not all of these are shown in this, I'm not trying to present a full catalog of the project here, just showcasing a feature.

IMG_3924.jpg

Another angle - showing better how it fits adjacent to a Dwarven Forge Cavern tile.

IMG_3925.jpg

a wider shot - the blackest tile is a 3-d printed "Dragonlock" Dungeon tile from Fat Dragon games which I had printed in a black material. The slightly lighter but still dark gray one adjacent to it is the Dwarven Forge Caverns (unpainted). 

...and finally one showing one of the 2" tall walls, and some 1" walls. 

IMG_3926.jpg

20 people like this

Should we count this as another Dwarf Kickstarter for Beagle?

Being a dwarf fanatic as well, no, but it is nice. :D

1 person likes this

<Lets out huge breath> I saw something I wasn't supposed to see at Reapercon last year and I've been holding my tongue ever since.

It's nice to see that these are now on the docket! They look fantastic and I can't wait to see how the KS goes!

Now… there are three partners listed on the image. Will Reaper be running the Kickstarter campaign?

Secret Weapon will be running the project, under their account, which were used for the first Tablescapes project. Reaper is involved as a logistical partner and consultant, we helped set SW up with our contacts in manufacturing for PVC product, as well as we will be running the pledge manager and have "collaborator" status on their project, and can make edits and leave comments. We are helping them with a lot of the behind the scenes math, but at the end of the day, this truly is Secret Weapon's product.

Cool, as long as I know where to look for the project! :)

Sorry to hear that Reaper abandoned its tile project and that your own sculpts won't be used as a result. Nevertheless, these look really fantastic and I'm excited to see what else they have in store beyond the tiles in the teaser pic!

1 person likes this

I've always thought a dungeon tile line would be a neat addition for Reaper (or a terrain line compatible with CAV). But yeah, over recent years I've picked up a numerous items from various sources to fill my needs. These days I'm looking more for unique settings and unique pieces, than more generic tiles.

Something else I'm noticing from the closeups: many of these tiles aren't going with a hard gridded look, instead there is more of a subtle suggestion of a grid while still attempting to look natural. That's really nicely done.

4 people like this

These pictures show some of the 1" tall wall sections, and some of the 2" sections - there's more variation of parts than are shown here, but this should give you a feel for how they fit with other sets.

Keep taking pics! (:

I'm also posting them to Dakka and TMP, and these pics show detail that's not in the publicity picture. If you could paint some of them with SWM Stone wash (the BEST WASH EVER for painting dungeon tiles), that would be great.

Also, I see tiles that are have "holes" in them. I think it would be fun to put a "background" pic underneath them, to show backers some creative ways to use them. Do a search on "corroded water pipe" for some good background pics.

If someone in the office plays Shadows of Brimstone, please take a pic of some board setups so the SoB gamers will want to back the project!

1 person likes this

Are those images showing the expected color of the final product?

1 person likes this

I'm actually not a fan of the way the walls look in the first image, but the tracks and bridges...

fwiw, SWM said in their FB there will be full-height tiles:

"Secret Weapon Miniatures The majority of the walls on our pieces are actually shorter those in the photo, making it easier to get to your figures. We do have "Feature Walls" that are full height, and packed full of detail though.

I'm excited about those diagonal tiles for offset rooms. :D

2 people like this

Are those images showing the expected color of the final product?

No these are resin prototypes we used to do the same process we do for our products - make several copies, choose the perfect ones to send over to have molds made, use the remaining copies for whatever needs - usually photos, painting, etc.

These do not reflect the final color in any way.

3 people like this

Keep taking pics! (:

I'm also posting them to Dakka and TMP, and these pics show detail that's not in the publicity picture. If you could paint some of them with SWM Stone wash (the BEST WASH EVER for painting dungeon tiles), that would be great.

Also, I see tiles that are have "holes" in them. I think it would be fun to put a "background" pic underneath them, to show backers some creative ways to use them. Do a search on "corroded water pipe" for some good background pics.

If someone in the office plays Shadows of Brimstone, please take a pic of some board setups so the SoB gamers will want to back the project!

Those are all really good ideas, but I'm not authorized to damage the copies I have (painting them etc.). I could put something under them to show the effect you mean, but ultimately, I simply have a copy to take quick on the spot photos where questions come up, and to use for logistics (volume calculations, weights, testing box sizes for shipping, etc.)

I'll ask about whether I'm allowed to paint some, but remember, these aren't Reaper's pieces and they aren't mine, so I have to respect Secret Weapon's intentions for my copies.

7 people like this

Thank you ReaperBryan for that succinct comparison!  I have been searching for tiles and terrain and such.  Wanting comparisons to dwarven forge especially and have not found one nearly as good as yours.  Also I think its awesome that you are consulting with another company to make the best product....I wish more companies thought that way. 

5 people like this

So just out of curiosity, does the bones 3 mausoleum happen to line up with the tiles for this?

4 people like this