Jump to content

Reaperbryan

Secret Weapon - Tablescapes Dungeons: Mines

Recommended Posts

Playtested a couple of of our games for the upcoming Fall-In convention today using all my, and a friend's, Tablescapes Dungeon Mines terrain from the Kickstarter.  There were 5 Core Sets and a a bunch of extras in play.    

 

I ran the first game, which was a twist of a Dungeon Crawl. Players started with their packs full of treasure, and had to make it out alive!  

The second game was a Weird War II outing featuring GIs investigating a secret Nazi lab hidden in an abandoned mine... Giant Ants, Robots, and all sorts of nasties awaited them, while their goal was to retrieve certain lab equipment and get it back out to safety.

IMG_8612.JPG

fullsizeoutput_3b06.jpeg

IMG_8645.JPG

IMG_8646.JPG

  • Like 9
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fantastic job!

 

Did you have a WIP or blog tutorial of how you painted the mines? Great job on the mini's as well!

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Talae said:

That looks epic!

 

 

Thanks, Talae!

 

 

9 hours ago, ced1106 said:

Fantastic job!

 

Did you have a WIP or blog tutorial of how you painted the mines? Great job on the mini's as well!

 

 

Thanks, ced1106!   No, I don't have a blog post or tutorial, but my friend and I used Dwarven Forge paints and followed the simple tutorial video Dwarves Forge has up on their website for dungeon tiles.  So just go to the DF website, look for the tutorials link, go to the "Painting" heading, and watch the one called "Painting Dungeon Game Tiles"; thats the one we followed and the colors we used.    Then, while both of us used different colors for the wood parts, we both basically did a medium tan base coat followed by a light tan dry brush. (I used Americana "Mississippi Mud" for my base, and Folk Art "Barn Wood" for my dry brush.  Rails were similar; my friend did a black base with gun metal highlights, while I did a dark brown base, with a gunmetal light drybrush.

Glad you liked the minis too!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Chris Palmer said:

 

 

Thanks, Talae!

 

 

 

 

Thanks, ced1106!   No, I don't have a blog post or tutorial, but my friend and I used Dwarven Forge paints and followed the simple tutorial video Dwarves Forge has up on their website for dungeon tiles.  So just go to the DF website, look for the tutorials link, go to the "Painting" heading, and watch the one called "Painting Dungeon Game Tiles"; thats the one we followed and the colors we used.    Then, while both of us used different colors for the wood parts, we both basically did a medium tan base coat followed by a light tan dry brush. (I used Americana "Mississippi Mud" for my base, and Folk Art "Barn Wood" for my dry brush.  Rails were similar; my friend did a black base with gun metal highlights, while I did a dark brown base, with a gunmetal light drybrush.

Glad you liked the minis too!

I use the Dwarven Forge process for my Dungeon Tiles in the WIP section of the forums.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Talae said:

I use the Dwarven Forge process for my Dungeon Tiles in the WIP section of the forums.

 

Nice work, Talae!  It really is a quick and easy process that gives a very nice look.   It just seems to go on for a long long time when you have a few hundred pieces to get through!  I still have about a dozen that are only base grey, and about a dozen more that are awaiting the wood step. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I kind of halted in my progress. I need to go blow the dust off that project.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This thread now has me wondering about a paint scheme following the Dwarven Forge caverns tutorials. Thoughts about which would be better?

 

GT5-UK-P_3bb7dee6-5a27-44d4-a717-d56b991

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Dwarven Forge cavern method of painting looks fast, easy and convincing. I don't see a downside. Very tempted to order some of their paints to give it a go.

 

It's been a rough summer, so my tiles have also been sitting unattended. The few I painted up earlier using craft paints and washes look nice so I'll probably paint the rest the way I started. It certainly isn't as simple as the Dwarven Forge method, although it is nice practice. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×