Sign in to follow this  
Captain Thorrek

Warlord play by phone/Skype question

I'm going to be playing with a friend over phone/Skype/webcam, but we're each going to be using our own boards to track the minis' positions. We would like to go with hex terrain boards, like Battletech, but the BT boards aren't 1" hexes, like in the rules. Do you guys know of any map ideas, preferably cheap, we might be able to use?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Star Fleet Battles had hex grids but always black with white lines.  Print your own?

If Battletech maps were what I had, I'd use the Battletech maps and not worry about how big the hexes are.

A local game store has these big gaming mats with hexes that roll up nicely, I think Chessex makes them.

• Like 1

Yeah, don't worry about the 1" hexes.  Just say they are and move on.  It's far more important to play than to quibble about 1/8" here and there. 

Congratulations on figuring out a novel solution. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback, guys! The only thing that worried me about the hex size would be the change when going to cav, giant, or large bases. It doesn't affect me much (at 200 pts. I had to get the albatross amulet, just so I can get a Daughter of Skadi), but my friend was able to grab a Sable Rider, which is on a cav base).

I suppose a cavalry figure takes up two hexes?

I have no opinion on how to relate the bigger Warlord minis that were on 1.5x1.5 or 2x2 inch bases to a hex grid.

• Like 1

Well, we could always play with the the bases, since we know two Std bases will fit on two sides of a Lrg, and all four sides on a Monster.  We'll just have to get creative with the movement. :D