HornedTurtle

5E Modern

11 posts in this topic

So I'm thinking about trying to use the 5e rules for a more modern/no magic setting, that will eventually have some magic/alien tech elements.  I'm just wondering how to prune back the classes and stuff to a no magic setting.  Fighters and Rogues should work for the most part.  Might needs something for people who want to play an intelligent character with lots of skills.  the skill list would also need updated to include things like computer use, or would computers and cell phones be tools?  Definitely need to include the modern weaponry, although maybe not have everyone be automatically proficient.  I know one of the play test supplements had things for modern clerics and warlocks.

The WOTC site has a few 5E modern files in the articles section.

1 person likes this

Those are very cool.  Thanks.

ADD got the better of me, and I decided that is was too much trouble to download each file individually.  Have to do that some day, though.  Be nice to have a complied download in the root directory, but that is me being lazy / ADD, I admit.

1 person likes this

Finally downloaded and sorted this all (if you want a cleaned up copy in Word, just PM me with an email address).

What he did with the Advanced Classes is genius.  I was trying to convert it to a new class for multi-classing, but actually throwing it into the core class is excellent - pick an advanced class at 3rd level (no restrictions) and then the advanced class adds to your normal level progression.  Very elegant solution.

1 person likes this

I like the way the advanced classes were handles as well!  If I was running it though I'm not sure how multi-classing would work.

Simple - no multi-classing :)  That will be my rule. 

1 person likes this

So I've run 2 sessions using these modern rules and they seem to work alright, although the characters are only level 1-2 at the moment.  First level seems to be just as swingy as normal, especially with pistols doing as much damage as a great sword.  We will have to see how higher levels balance.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Sushiroll
      I just got into miniature painting and decided to post on the forum to get some feedback and advice. This is only the second miniature I've ever painted. I'm pretty happy with how he turned out despite my lack of experience. I'm thinking of dry brushing his back a bit more for an even more intense frost/ice effect. I plan on varnishing and basing him as soon as the bases I ordered arrived. Any CC is welcome thanks for looking!

• By knarthex
      So even though I haven't been W.I.P.ping, I have been painting here and there....
      This is the WizKids Dreadlock Troll, that I decided to paint as an Ice Troll for our current Frostgrave Campaign....
      He has various pale greys and off whites, then  very dilute GW Blue ink Glazed on the skin, GW Snakebite Leather on his loin cloth, and SC75 SS Camo Shadow and SC75 Field Grey 50% on his hair....

Thanks for looking!

The Mojo May Return....
    • By Darius Glenwell
      I finally got a chance to paint up some of my own giants! Nothing to special on these. I think each took around 2-4 hours depending on what details I really wanted to pick out. I'm kinda liking the blue tint I left in the Frost giant's hair. Thanks for looking! 

• By SamuraiJack

About this project
       A marathon is 26 miles, and 385 yards of hell! Now it's time to test your mettle. Lloyd Metcalf and Ric Martens bring you Marathon of Heroes!
      Fighter, Magic user, Cleric, Thief. These are the four compass points and cornerstones of tabletop role playing games. Each with strengths and weaknesses that make them mortal, but also makes them HEROES!
       Here you may test your heroes, let them shine, and hone your party into a well-oiled machine. Here you will need to call back to the halcyon days when no one character could win, it took a team... a team of HEROES.
      The great dragon Vatrastrom sleeps on a bed of treasure at the heart of a volcano surrounded by wicked minions. 
      Miles away, Lord Fez gathers a group of adventurers to request their aid in ending the red menace. 
      Before these brave heroes confront the dragon, they must first prepare by facing challenges that hone their skills as individuals and as a team.
      Many have attempted confronting Vatrastrom, but none have lived to claim the great prize of the wyrm’s hoard. Will your champions be the ones to complete the Marathon of Heroes?
      Marathon of Heroes is a 36-38 page adventure module for the Fifth Edition of the world's favorite roleplaying game for 4-6 Level 5 characters based in the Lands of Lunacy setting from Fail Squad Games. It can be played in any setting with minimal adjustment. Marathon of Heroes is intended to be played over multiple sessions (Typically 4) but may run longer if used with "interlude" side quests.
      This is Fail Squad Games TENTH Kickstarter of its' kind. That's right TEN successful Kickstarters to print adventure modules.  
      We have found reliable printers, reliable shipping methods, we have PROVEN that we can handle budgets for projects of this type. The writing is done, 98% of the illustration is complete. We need your help to take this adventure to print.
       Fail Squad Games hasn't seen a stretch goal for some time. We're bringing them back! For this project stretch goals come in the form of Interludes. Interludes are what we call our short (2 page) side quest adventures ready to be hole punched and dropped into your games at any time. 
      One more tool for the GM to add to their arsenal. We are using this project as an opportunity to introduce these short side-quests to the world, and you can make it happen!
      Share the project link on Facebook, Twitter, in groups, Reddit... everywhere!!! and get more free stuff!
       Interlude stretch goals are delivered with NO EXTRA COST to you! That's right, it's just more adventure for your buck on us! Full color cardstock printed adventures. (2 pages - 1 card both sides)
      $2,000 - Verdant Bonds by Ric Martens $3,500 - Crypt on Keeper Hill by Lloyd Metcalf $4,500 - Ever Present Inn $6,000 - to be announced $10,000 - We commission a popular RPG author to write an interlude.
    • By nervisfr
      Some little friends ........for dangerous adventures

Cheers
      Eric
  • Who's Online   44 Members, 2 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)