HornedTurtle

5E Modern

11 posts in this topic

So I'm thinking about trying to use the 5e rules for a more modern/no magic setting, that will eventually have some magic/alien tech elements.  I'm just wondering how to prune back the classes and stuff to a no magic setting.  Fighters and Rogues should work for the most part.  Might needs something for people who want to play an intelligent character with lots of skills.  the skill list would also need updated to include things like computer use, or would computers and cell phones be tools?  Definitely need to include the modern weaponry, although maybe not have everyone be automatically proficient.  I know one of the play test supplements had things for modern clerics and warlocks.

The WOTC site has a few 5E modern files in the articles section.

1 person likes this

Those are very cool.  Thanks.

ADD got the better of me, and I decided that is was too much trouble to download each file individually.  Have to do that some day, though.  Be nice to have a complied download in the root directory, but that is me being lazy / ADD, I admit.

1 person likes this

Finally downloaded and sorted this all (if you want a cleaned up copy in Word, just PM me with an email address).

What he did with the Advanced Classes is genius.  I was trying to convert it to a new class for multi-classing, but actually throwing it into the core class is excellent - pick an advanced class at 3rd level (no restrictions) and then the advanced class adds to your normal level progression.  Very elegant solution.

1 person likes this

I like the way the advanced classes were handles as well!  If I was running it though I'm not sure how multi-classing would work.

Simple - no multi-classing :)  That will be my rule. 

1 person likes this

So I've run 2 sessions using these modern rules and they seem to work alright, although the characters are only level 1-2 at the moment.  First level seems to be just as swingy as normal, especially with pistols doing as much damage as a great sword.  We will have to see how higher levels balance.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By kacey3
      Currently on Kickstarter for the next two days!

I got in on the original release of this game and it is very cool. It's like a Choose-Your-Own-Adventure board game. It is loosely scenario based, but there is a fair amount of randomness and replay-ability in each scenario. I have played the first scenario four times and have yet to win, but had an entirely different experience each time. The most interesting thing to me is the action/health/timing mechanic. There is a serious economy of action in the game and if you aren't very careful with your choices, you will definiltey die on the continent.

Sadly, the production costs on the game are astronomical. At over 1,600 cards, they have said that they will likely never make it to full retail, so apart from this KS and potentially further private sale, we may never see it again. This KS is running until Thu, October 19 2017. 
    • By kacey3
      Sad to say I have decided not to host Fiasco this year. Instead, I'll have 7th Continent by Serious Poulp. It's a drop in/drop out co-op adventure game that harkens back to the days of Choose Your Own Adventure. I've been kind of addicted lately, and since the games can run several hours, but allow players to join and leave at will, it felt like the perfect game for ReaperCon.

See you there!

Incidentally, part of the reason I am bringing 7th Continent is to hype their current Kickstarter, which may be the last time the game is ever available. But I learned today that the KS ends in two days. So if my description sounded interesting, you might want to check out the KS link (http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/77317-7th-continent-co-op-board-game/)

• By Shogun
       The Deck of Many is a series of 5e reference cards for Monsters, NPCs, Conditions and Weapons.
      The Deck of Many is a tool used to assist Game Masters in their role-playing campaigns, freeing them from traditional reference books and allowing them to only bring the references they need. Each card features original artwork and easy to reference information. Should we be successful, all funds raised from this campaign will go towards producing the 4 decks and other campaign rewards.

Starting price: $16 for your choice of 1 deck including shipping to U.S & CAN

http://kck.st/2iXieoF

• By Lidless Eye
      I've been testing out the new WizKids ready to paints. It was just the simple beasts for now, but I wasn't too impressed with the PC sculpts.  I'm hoping they improve the QC for the next wave, there's some cool designs coming.

The pack:

The Displacer Beast:

The Blink Dog:

• By ub3r_n3rd
      I recently discovered that I really liked listening to D&D games being played while painting.  I watched/listened to a few videos with Matt Mercer DMing some really cool games. 

What podcasts/videos do you all like to watch/listen to?
  • Who's Online   42 Members, 3 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)