52 posts in this topic

Modiphius just announced that they got the license to do a star trek RPG and that they're doing signups for playtest rules at gencon this year!

I am now so happy that I have spare bones lizardmen, to use for gorns.

3 people like this

Dunno if it could ever replace FASA Star Trek in my heart, but still excited to see this come out! If it looks good, will invest all-in!

Damon.

Is this license with Paramount and gives them access to the full background, or with Amarillo Design Bureau and only allows for the Star Fleet Universe?

Full background, from TOS through Enterprise. No JJ Verse from what's been released so far.

Cool. That could even be enough to entice me back into RPGs, if I had a group to play with.

Now, the important question: will minis come along at some point...?

Damon.

1 person likes this

The announcement said there would be...

Damon.

They claim to have Kirk and Picard minis available at gencon this year, so yes.

1 person likes this

We'll just add that to the list of Things I Did Not Need to Know. *facepalm*

... wonder if I should tell the GM of the ST game I'm in about this...?

2 people like this

Damon.

They claim to have Kirk and Picard minis available at gencon this year, so yes.
The Picard and Kirk minis.

IMG_1492_zpsxs0stsrj.jpg

I'm still waiting for the Doctor Who minis game from Warlord. Licenced product seems to take forever to get produced.

Edited by Darsc Zacal
1 person likes this

Some licensed products take longer than others. One should not begin advertising a product and then take a year and more to make the product available. I am hoping that these Star Trek folks follow thru in a timely fashion.

I am also wicked pleased that they mean to release the regular cast figurines for the TV shows as well as generic figurines; you can play Captain Kirk, or you can play that Tellarite ship's counselor you've always wanted to roll up.

And I don't even have to buy the game if I don't wanna just to get the miniatures. Eeez gooood.

4 people like this

I loved the old Decipher Star Trek for being mechanically surprisingly stable despite being pretty simple. Can anyone comment on how the 2d20 system compares to that?

Considering the Modiphus system is still in playtest, I dunno... I have NO familiarity with the 2D20 system as it is, much less what they're doing with it to make it Trek friendly.

2d20 is pretty solid in general. You have a target # of successes for any action, and then you roll and try to get under your skill level, each die that is below the # is a success. you also may have a focus # that if you get under it then there's a double success. if you have the total # of successes required for the test you then you succeed. if you have more than you need you get momentum that can be spent on various improvements to the action or it can be added to a momentum pool to help the rest of the party. if you got less than the target # the action either fails, or goes off in an inferior way depending on the nature of the action you were attempting. If you rolled a 20 on a die, then there was a fumble or a complication of some sort. the fumble can be either narative, mechanical or add points to the pool the GM uses to set off enemy abilities and add enemies to the scene. 

I GMed the mutant chronicles version last year and had a really good time with it. characters all did very different things without anyone feeling useless, the antagonists were well put together, and it does hordes of guys, and red shirts very well. They also have a really great life path system for character creation, since it looks like infinity has something similar I assume this is common to all of the 2d20 rpgs.

I can't wait to see what they do with this, since it'll give them a chance to use the system for a setting that tends to have more man vs environment and social combat situations.