Sign in to follow this  
buckyball

Frostgrave at ReaperCon

How many people attending ReaperCon play Frostgrave? Would anyone like to play at the convention? Would anyone be interested in more than just pick-up games?

buckyball

• Like 3

I'll be your huckleberry.

The question is coming up with a set Con specific rules.

What like a scenario?

BTW, I has an roll-up / roll-out snow table cloth...two frozen ponds...some snow hills...some badly painted Xmas trees (are there trees in frostgrave; has it thawed enough for trees?) 

Edited by TGP
  • Like 4

What like a scenario?

BTW, I has an roll-up / roll-out snow table cloth...two frozen ponds...some snow hills...some badly painted Xmas trees (are there trees in frostgrave; has it thawed enough for trees?)

Like does everyone start off with fresh brand new warbands, or do we give them a level and extra gold to be considered "experienced". Are we going to roll scenarios (we would have to make sure we had the applicable terrain. Wandering monsters? Any or all of the optional rules in play? What books are allowed? Original Frostgrave only, Into the Breeding Pits, Thaw of the Lich Lord? One on one games or multiplayer?

I have my preferences, but would like to see what others prefer.

• Like 1

In order:

Are we going to roll scenarios (we would have to make sure we had the applicable terrain).

Wandering monsters?

Any or all of the optional rules in play?

What books are allowed?

Original Frostgrave only, Into the Breeding Pits, Thaw of the Lich Lord?

One on one games or multiplayer?

Scenarios chosen based on the terrain we determine is or will be available.

(Or we invent/adapt scenarios based on what terrain  we might have.)

Monsters, yes. Special Monster chart based on what we know we'll have.

I don't know. Some of them? (new guy here...)

Original Only (better for new guys. But snagging a few monsters and things from the other books is good.)

Either.

I missed the warband level question. I don't know enough about how they level up to opine on this.

Edited by TGP
  • Like 1

I would be interested.  I plan to run through dark alchemy (solo play) scenarios to learn the game and practice with current team and learn the rules soon.

• Like 1

I've been thinking about this (probably way too much) and if people want I can draft up a Reapercon Frostgrave League document.

Unless you want to do so buckyball. I don't want to jump in and steal this away from you.

• Like 1

Wow!  Totally wish I could be there even more now!

I would say keep it to the core book with starting warbands for all those learning and just to have a roughly even experience level of wizard.  

Although I will say that unless there are twenty or more levels between wizards we haven't found there to be too much of an advantage for the higher level warbands.

One rule that I hate but everyone else in the group loves for some reason is the critical hit rule.  Funny thing is for the most part it has hurt them more often than myself.

Some of the scenarios "require" special terrain, others not so much so.  For the most part I think you can get away with playing most of them with just generic terrain, ruins and rubble with the occasional mostly intact building.

• Like 1

Yep. If I have down time tomorrow at work I may just run up a draft of possibilities.

What do people think of a per game :-P bonus for painted warbands, and warbands made up of Reaper (or possibly official Frostgrave figures). I was thinking of 5-10 : so per game for each?

• Like 1

Wow! Totally wish I could be there even more now!

Likewise! Really hoping that next year will be the year I finally make it...

• Like 1

I wish you al luck with this, and sure wish I could be there!  I'm looking forward to reading any battle reports.

I agree with those who've said to use beginning warbands and basic rulebook.  Adding gold and levels t warbands will give those with experience an upper hand since they will know best how to use those benefits.  Since this is mainly going to be a learning experience for many, basic is best.  Also, you don't need to use any scenario; a lot of fun can be had just with a basic treasure hunt. Just my 2 cents.   

One rule that I hate but everyone else in the group loves for some reason is the critical hit rule.  Funny thing is for the most part it has hurt them more often than myself.

I've never understood the love of the Crit Hit either, chaoshead. Our group never used it, and never found it necessary.  In most cases, rolling a 20 by itself is enough to do a hurting on most figures, and doubling it is just overkill.

• Like 2

If you get something organised, make sure to contact Osprey Games, they have a few freebies they send out for organised play.

• Like 5

What like a scenario?

Like does everyone start off with fresh brand new warbands, or do we give them a level and extra gold to be considered "experienced". Are we going to roll scenarios (we would have to make sure we had the applicable terrain. Wandering monsters? Any or all of the optional rules in play? What books are allowed? Original Frostgrave only, Into the Breeding Pits, Thaw of the Lich Lord? One on one games or multiplayer?

I have my preferences, but would like to see what others prefer.

Add me to the 'interested, but haven't played yet' list.

A couple questions:

Is this an after hours/pick up type thing, or are we aiming at actually getting a daytime slot?

How long does the average game run?

As far as specifics, I think everyone should start out fresh at level 1, no extra gold or whatever.

As for rules, if there are enough copies of everything to go around, anything published to this point would be ok, as long as everyone gets the chance to use them if desired. Otherwise, basic rules only. (I have the basic rules and Thaw of the Lich Lord I can bring along to help out).