Sign in to follow this  
lexomatic

Harwood Hobbies cultists - Frostgrave Sigilist warband WIP

So I received my Harwood Hobbies cultists miniatures.

I decided to try and make a warband out of them:[spoiler photo to come]
Mr Karswell: Sigilist
Ritual Leader: Apprentice
3 axe cultists+ executioner=melee/thugs
the enforcer (w/ machinegun)= ranged
I have a few more slots, so I'll need to see what other cultist minis I have, and whether they fit. Maybe I'll add Bones 3 cultists, or my Crooked Dice cultists

Cultists-300x295.jpg

I suppose I may choose some other school than sigilist, it's just that with the spellbooks, they LOOK like sigilists.

I wish summoning weren't an opposed school, however.

And also, just in case, I'll be doing a 2 priest setup as well, they make more sense as sigiists (also with books) leaving the cultists as a summoner warband. 

Edited by lexomatic
  • Like 9

So I finished some prep work- filing and drilling holes in feet. It was weird the minis were all different.

Karswell had a tab, some had small integral bases (one that I had to chop and drill because I couldn't level it) and others that need pinning. I'll fill the bases with some happy seppuku parquet and properly pin and prime.

• Like 1

So trying to find something to temporarily attach my minis to means no painting yet. Hope to prime today though.

I did get stuff done on the bases. Behind the spoiler - liner'd herringbone bases, the priest and apprentice, I discovered the accents work with hot glue- one garbage can for my terrain thread later, and the washed cultists.

post-12970-0-49504700-1471094085_thumb.jpg

post-12970-0-84514400-1471094249_thumb.jpg

post-12970-0-97215400-1471094364_thumb.jpg

post-12970-0-91492200-1471094386_thumb.jpg

Edited by lexomatic
  • Like 6

Actually, that cultists photo is unwrapped, not prepped. They were pretty clean casts and only needed a bit of bending and filing mold lines under the robes, except for the guy with the connecting piece between his axe and leg. I'm going to prime karswell today, not sure about the others.

Bases looking good!

I've drybrushed them a bunch and washed them with a brown tint. Look better.

I also primed karswell in greyscale, but my phone died so no pics.

I experimented with mixing my primers, so I know pretty well how they work now. It was fun to learn how easy it would be to do the start of a paint job  similar to the deadlands noir ones. I'll try that again sometime.

• Like 1

Base coat on karswell.
I want the red vest to match the cultists' robes.
Not sure about the hair and there's a tie that I'll do later in black
Pretty happy about this so far, just this base coat goes among my better paint jobs :unsure:
Blacks are corporea black (sapphire blue: walnut brown 3:1) though the shoes will be shiny, I hope.Shadows in black, and highlights in a dark grey I have.

Originally pants were going to be pinstriped, but.. that seems like too much work for now, so probably just grey.

You can ignore the following pic - there are better ones in the next post. I guess the camera wanted to focus on the pattern more than the mini

post-12970-0-70548800-1471282277_thumb.jpg

I'm also definitely feeling that this guy is more a summoner, even with books... also a reason for the red vest, to add some more color.

Edited by lexomatic
  • Like 2

Looking good so far Lex!  I'm glad they made it to you safety and in record time!  :-)

Mr. Karswell had a tab as I commissioned Iain to sculpt that one for me, the axe cultists had the integral base as I purchased those from Iain (I think he was planning to put them up for sale on the Tengu site, before he shut it down), and the other cultists are all 3D prints, and I haven't had enough experience to know if they would print better/worse with a tab on there.  ;-)

I'm looking forward to seeing how the warband progresses!

Wally Harwood

• Like 4

So I primed and got a base of skin and cloak/ robe red but I've never had a more frustrating time keeping minis in place, so I gave up for the day. I'm going to try something else but the minis... they weren't cooperating.

Didn't do much for a week. I did some base coating of pants and shirts yesterday, and some shading of robe/hood/tunic. Colors were msp carnage red HD maroon and msp burgundy wine.

I think I'll highlight with a sample red and add lava orange and maybe a yellow. I might do a magenta glaze after to tie it in. Then street clothes, metallics and some weird stuff in the book and then on the bases.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Xiwo Xerase
      This was originally not one a mini I planned to paint.  However, I got two in an auction lot and the base fits well with one of my few base stamps (in this case, the Happy Seppuku Stone Shore stamp) so... why not?

(click for larger versions)

This is the state she is in now.  She's been primed and a thin coat of Brown Liner (1 part Wash Medium, 1 part Brown Liner, 1 part water) has been painted on top to bring out details.  (I found a mold line I missed on the side of her knee and relined her legs with a thicker coat of Brown Liner, because I forgot the original mix.  The thicker mix is not likely to obscure detail when painting but it does make it harder to see in these pictures.  Oops.)

(Note to self: Get a non-grey background for these pictures in the future.)

I've decided her doublet, pants, boots, and gloves are leather.  Her doublet and pants are stitched in the front and are worn over more normal clothes.  (Both her doublet and pants have obvious stitching in the front and the alternative is undesirable in a family friendly environment.)  Her shirt includes her loose poofy sleeves.  (Which are probably good for a rogue since they mask the shape of her arms.)  I believe the most interesting detail missing from her store page is her knife holster on her left leg.

I wasn't entirely sure what to use for colors so I did a mockup using my paint program.  The knife in her holster will not be visible from this side but I included them to get an idea for how they would look.

(click for a larger version)

The current colors are: (all paints are Reaper MSP or Bones)
      Skin: Youthful Flesh Hair: Blond Hair Doublet, boots, and knife handles: Ruddy Leather Pants and gloves: Nut Brown Belt, stitches, and other leather accents: Leather Brown Shirt and sleeves: Dark Elf Skin Blades: This is one of the colors from the Blade Steel swatch Floor: Dungeon Grey  
      The focuses for this mini are her face, her hair, textures (leather and wood), and NMM for the metal bits.  Let's see how this goes.
    • By Guildenstern
      Been working pretty steadly though bad about keeping up pics!

Did these guys (mostly done) in January. They are GW minis from the Battle at Pelennor Fields Lords of the Ring starter set.

I started on these guys closer to end of the month, as well:

They're for my Luna Wolves, first guy is the Terminator sarge (which I'm painting along with some other terminators from the Burning of Prospero box set)

This guy is a resin cast Apothecary from FW I bought off ebay - he's got a pretty bad mold slip along one leg, but otherwise is a really cool model. I'm trying to paint his little vials and bottles to be more realistic like glass full of ... well, something. He has a lot of detail on him!

• By lexomatic
      Is there anyone who might be interested  in a PBP 4e GURPS lite (rules light, no crazy math) portal horror/ mystery modern day adventure.
      1) Gurps 4e is published by Steve Jackson Games, and the free "lite" version of the rules is available online here.
      2) This world is adapted by me from the fiction of Ian Rogers with my own additions.
      3) Character creation rules
      NO MAGIC OR SUPER POWERS or cinematic skills/abilities
      100 points available up to 50 points in disadvantages and 5 quirks as well. If your character concept is disabled, then there's leeway to go over this, but needs discussion with me first
      If you have 4e books or the character creator app, feel free to go for it. Otherwise I will post a list of templates and where they're located that I've vetted to guide you beyond the lite rules.
      A skill at 12/13 is considered professional quality. higher gets you a better ability to handle tough situations and improve chance at a critical. Really high skills might get notoriety (could be good or bad).
      Useful guidance http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?p=369148
      Also this free pdf condensing skills info should be useful

4) This is set in Toronto and Ontario Canada primarily. Your character doesn't need to be from there, you just need to have an idea of what you're doing there, and specifically to start, what you're doing in the PATH specifically (this will be how you are all introduced). After reading about the world basics, you will also need to think about any supernatural/ blacklands experience your character has had... if any, and if/how they were affected by it.
      The World Basics
      I'm hoping to be able to do a few posts a week, but because I'm new to this, and have limited availability it might be slower than I want. I'm unsure about the number of players - this could work with only a few.
      More later. Feel free to ask questions or express interest.
      If you have and use a skill that will allow you to obtain info/ achieve goal to advance plot, that will happen. I won't make people roll until something happens or things end.

This site seems to have a decent character generator. There`s step-by-step at the top of the page, and it auto-calculates. Please print to pdf or printscreen or recopy.  so I can review. If you need a template, please let me know. Please set point maximum to 100 (it defaulted to 300 for me).

Current Characters list:
      1)Magnus Albertson @Dilvish the Deliverer
      2)Sammy @Arkady
      3) Sam Travis @Corsair
      4)TBD @Chaoswolf
      5) Raoul @Colonel Kane

6) Morgan Faustus @Kangaroorex
      There will be a hard cap at 6 players. And maybe only 5 total. We're closing in on being able to start things.
    • By TripleH
      Started working on this guy today for one of my player.
      Since I'm a "newbie" and have no experience in working with skin, I was wondering if Reaper's Flesh Wash would look ok with the Elf Flesh base-coat for the skin.

For the hair, the player want him to be carrot-top with a touch of grey. The could prove to be interesting. 

I'm also looking for suggestions for his clothing. almost anything is fair game, all though the campaign setting is in a desert/desolation area.

• By TripleH
      Some may be aware (or not) but Reaper's Queen of Paint, Anne Foerster, has a Patreon going under the name of Painting Big. I am currently backing her at a level that give me an hour a month in a private video session. We decided to paint the same mini, Frost Giant Queen# 77592. The current focus of the lessons are concentrating on Layering then moving on to Glazing & Blending.

Today we had our first session via skype and here are pics of what was accomplished on my end. We did have some technical difficulties (mainly on my end) as she couldn't hear me and could barely see what I was doing so I could only communicate via chat.

Base skin color is a mix of Light Blue/Morning After Blues 2:1 ratio and lined with thinned Blue Liner.

The eyes I started with blocking them out with Blue Liner, then Linen white, Ancient Oak, and Pure white for the highlight.

This is where she is at the end of the first session.

Homework: Eyes on the other Giants from the Bones 3 KS, work on lining with thinned paint trying to get crisper lines.

Next session: Shading & Highlight of the face (and maybe the rest of the skin).
  • Who's Online   43 Members, 3 Anonymous, 103 Guests (See full list)