And here's his brother, Sir Forscale the Purple! (since I couldn't think of a more creative name, given that he was submitted a mere half hour before the end of the competition.... :wacko:)

The reason why he's sporting a singular green boot should be self-evident.  :upside:

sTUiMMgl.jpg

AVZGxXCl.jpg

Kp0n2lAl.jpg

AYQb2etl.jpg

bnPye2Ll.jpg

No WIP for this guy, because there wasn't time. :lol:

I'm not quite as happy with this guy as the green and gold one; I was rushed and it shows. The two purple colors I chose didn't contrast quite as much as I'd been hoping, so he's overall a bit bland I think.

I am, however, super duper happy with how the trim on his tabard turned out! ^_^ I took full advantage of the fact that I had an exact metallic reference on my first Forscale, and spent far longer than I meant to carefully studying how the light played on the metallic gold trim of Sir Shiny, then trying to replicate it on Sir Purple with the highlights. I did it on the edge of the shield as well, but it shows up better in hand than on camera.

My contrast isn't anywhere near what it should be to make it really stand out, but it's my first serious foray into understanding how highlighting works! Which is awesome since I've had such a bad mental block about it ever since I started painting. As long as there are clearly sculpted high and low points (like the upper part of his tabard in the back), I've been able to just follow those and do okay, but take those away and I'm lost! So this was a big breakthrough for me; I could practically feel myself gaining another level in painter! :lol:  :bday:

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

Edited by OneBoot
  • Like 19

Ooooh that shiny gold. It look like the gold color I usually see in Chinese restaurants. *That's* the gold color I would've loved on my For$ale entry, but I only own Reaper's 9051 "New Gold" which I was told was not a very good paint (it really isn't). P3 really does have magnificent metallics.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 1

Ooooh that shiny gold. It look like the gold color I usually see in Chinese restaurants. *That's* the gold color I would've loved on my For$ale entry, but I only own Reaper's 9051 "New Gold" which I was told was not a very good paint (it really isn't). P3 really does have magnificent metallics.

They doooooo. :wub:

However! If you aren't able to acquire P3 paints, Reaper's newer metallics are now very much on par with P3's. All of the new Bones metallics, for example, are deliciously shiny! :bday: Also, all of the metallics that were available at ReaperCon last year, though I'd have to do a little research to find out which ones were con exclusives and which are available to order.

Yeah, New Gold and I think Honed Steel were the first Reaper metallics I ever had, and I wasn't wildly impressed. They're nice colors, just not very shiny, but they've been useful when I wanted more of a dull shine. ^_^

Huzzah!

However! If you aren't able to acquire P3 paints, Reaper's newer metallics are now very much on par with P3's. All of the new Bones metallics, for example, are deliciously shiny!  Also, all of the metallics that were available at ReaperCon last year, though I'd have to do a little research to find out which ones were con exclusives and which are available to order.

Huzzah!

I will look into the new metallic paints.

Currently, the only FLGS I've been to in town only has GW paints. And the staff isn't particularly knowledgeable about minis. There's another place downtown where Buglips goes, and I think they sell WarmaHorde products, meaning P3 paints!

is there a law that you have to have one of these? if not I say we make one. let it be read into record you must have a "Knight for Scale".

You just made me realize I don't have a Forscale for personal use anymore. :blink:

I'm... a miscreant! A villain! A sinner! A degenerate! A ne'er-do-well! A, a... [peeks in thesaurus] profligate!? :rock:

I'm... eligible for Reaper store credit, who sells more Forscales *and* new metallic paints. :bday:

• Like 1

is there a law that you have to have one of these? if not I say we make one. let it be read into record you must have a "Knight for Scale".

You just made me realize I don't have a Forscale for personal use anymore. :blink:

I'm... a miscreant! A villain! A sinner! A degenerate! A ne'er-do-well! A, a... [peeks in thesaurus] profligate!? :rock:

I'm... eligible for Reaper store credit, who sells more Forscales *and* new metallic paints. :bday:

:lol:! In that case, I'm a miscreant too, because all 3 of the Forscales I've ever painted are Bryan's now. I still have never painted one for myself! So yes, my Reaper cart has a Forscale too so I can remedy that. ^_^ Until then, I'm scale reference-less!!!  ::o:

Huzzah!

Edited by OneBoot
  • Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By OneBoot
      For those of you who might not know, I like shiny metallic paints a tiny bit. Just a little. As in I currently own over 50 20 different metallic paint colors (plus a few metallic inks and a new metallic wash I'm dying to try out), and I painted an entire cat-sized dragon using only metallic paints. So yeah, I'm kinda sorta IN LOVE with shiny paints.   

While re-organizing my paints the other day, I realized that I have a lot of shiny paints I haven't played with yet, and lots of fun wacky techniques I haven't fully explored with the rest. So, one purpose of this little thread will be to document my metallic paint experiments FOR SCIENCE (and totally not so I can infect everyone else with 'Must Have All The Shiny' syndrome, not at all  ).

The primary reason I started this thread, though, is because I want to invite y'all to toss questions and suggestions at me about attempting new and different (or even just tried and true) things with metallic paints, since I'm only one person and can only come up with so many ideas on my own. Like let's say you're curious how Reaper's Blade Steel will respond to drying retarder, or layering over two different metallics, or mixed with ink, etc. If you have a crazy idea, I'd love to hear it! Because crazy is where the fun is!

To make requests easier, here's a brief summary what I currently own (will be updated as needed):
      All the Reaper metallic paints. Yes, even that one. (there may be a couple OOP I don't know about that I don't own, but I have all the ones I'm aware of) All of the P3 (Privateer Press) metallic paints Several Scale75 colored metallic paints Vallejo Metal Medium (basically liquid shiny in a bottle. I mix this with lots of things!) Secret Weapon's Golden Brown metallic wash (I'm really excited to play with this!) 3 Liquitex metallic inks (gold, silver, copper)  
      I am open to acquiring new paints to experiment with, to a certain degree; I don't have the funds to go buy an entire new paint line, for example, but I could purchase a couple bottles to try out. :)

LIST OF EXPERIMENTS
      1) Secret Weapon's Golden Brown metallic wash
      2) Attempting to make pink armor from Breast Cancer Awareness Pink

NOTE: Unless otherwise stated, all paints used are from Reaper.

Huzzah!
    • By OneBoot
      We all knew this day would come eventually. The day where OneBoot tosses the very few marbles she has left into the ocean and throws herself in after them. The blank 4th spot in my lovely Goblin Challenge signature badge has been glaring at me for several months now, and my personal circumstances have now aligned to allow me to attempt this, my final Challenge.

For those of you unfamiliar with Goblin Painting Challenges, started by our very own @buglips*the*goblin, here is a link to his Kaladrax thread that started it all: http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/51269-kaladrax-in-seven-days-buglips-is-crazy-wip/&

The short version of the rules is that I will be painting up Dragons Don't Share - 2014 edition in 7 days, using no brushes larger than a size 0.

Here's the long version of the rules:

You are all invited to join me in my descent into further madness! But only if you bring chocolate and gummy worms.  

On a personal note, out of all 4 Goblin Challenges, this is actually the one I've been the most nervous about all along (yes, even more so than Ma'al Drakar). Those adventurers are likely to prove to be 5 lovely little time sinks for me, and I'll have to concentrate very hard not to get caught up in all those beautiful details on them! But who knows, maybe it'll end up being the terrain that eats all my time and sanity; we get to find out together!

My general plan is as follows:
      The first couple of days will focus on brown linering and basecoating ALL THE THINGS, while also putting on faces and eyes while my hands are still fairly steady. I will work primarily on the adventurers the first few days, but will take 'breaks' to work on the terrain and the dragon in between to let my eyes and hands relax a bit from the tiny work. My aim is to finish the adventurers by the end of Day 4, or at least get them to "good enough" status; fun fiddly detail bits can be added after this point if I have time, but even without those the figures could be declared done. My final day will likely be focused on finishing up the terrain, and possibly the dragon's wings. Not sure about that yet, but that's what I anticipate.  
      Started: April 3rd 2018, 4:00pm PDT
      Finished: April 10th 2018, 8:17am PDT
      Show-off thread:

Huzzah!
    • By OneBoot
      For those of you unfamiliar with The Great Kaladrax Painting Challenge, initiated by buglips*the*goblin, here's a link to his thread: http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/51269-kaladrax-in-seven-days-buglips-is-crazy-wip

Feel free to boggle at the insanity of it for a bit, I'll wait.
      All done? Okay, so, being not entirely sane myself, I've decided to give it a go. I will be following the same rules buglips followed in his challenge, namely:

1) No using a brush larger than a standard Size 0 (no getting around it by using, say, a size 0 brush meant for house painting, for example)
      2) I will work on Kaladrax for no more than 168 consecutive hours (7 full days)
      3) The only prep time allowed before the timer starts is boiling and cleaning to remove casting residue. Removing (or not) mold lines is part of the challenge!
      4) When I begin, I will post a picture of Kaladrax with my phone displaying the date and time (I don't get the newspaper)

...That's it, really. Pretty simple. I will endeavor to make semi-regular updates, but when I get deep into PaintingLand, I can lose track of time. I will, however, be very good about taking awful WIP pictures as I go, then at least doing a batch picture post each day. I've timed this so Mr. Boot is gone at a work conference about half of the 7 days, so I will have a little more free time than usual.

So! Feel free to come along for the ride. I can't promise to be on here super often (or maybe I will be, who knows), but I can promise that the trip will at least be entertaining.

If you'd rather just skip to the end, here's my official completion post with pictures: http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/68762-oneboot-is-crazy-too-kaladrax-in-7-days-wip/&do=findComment&comment=1371410
      Final show-off pictures: http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/69015-kaladrax-reborn-in-7-days-by-oneboot/

Note: Unless otherwise specified, all of the paints used are Reaper brand paints.

Huzzah!
    • By OneBoot
      For those of you unfamiliar with Goblin Painting Challenges, started by our very own @buglips*the*goblin, here is a link to the Kaladrax thread that started it all:  http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/51269-kaladrax-in-seven-days-buglips-is-crazy-wip .

For this Challenge, I will be painting up Ma'al Drakar in 7 days, using no brushes larger than a size 0. 

The rules are posted below:

I will be starting my Challenge at 1:00 PM Pacific Daylight Time on August 2nd 2017 (link here).
      EDIT: If you want to skip all of the talky stuff, here's the link to my completion picture.
      EDIT: And here's the link to the final entry pictures.

Let the insanity begin!!!  

Huzzah!
  • Who's Online   28 Members, 5 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)