haldir

Lost Mine of Phandelver

Jack takes a deep breath and with a wry expression looks at Nyssa, "Thank you, lady, your aid was most appreciated. I'll try to be more careful in the future."

"Is everyone ok? Those crazy goblins took us like pirates! I can help you with your wounds if you need."

Pimoring begins Looking around!

"Look! It seems our attackers werent so random afterall. They look to be dragging something into the wilderness. I wonder if thats where our dwarven friends are."

(One was a dwarf, the other a human warrior (veteran)

With a worrisome scowl, Nyssa gestures to the group and mutters "maybe...we...should take a minute to rest. Tend our Wounds."

"Rest it is then, yes?  But lets be as quick as we can.  If you need tending beyond your means, please let me know and I can help."   (Short rest?  Want to use hit dice? I can cast spells if required as well - I can do anything - go or rest, up to the group)

"The horses have been dead for some time. I suspect we would endanger ourselves more than our dwarven friend if we were to press on in our current condition."

Short rest 1d8+1=3 hp recovered

Jack paces back and forth.  After a couple of rounds, he pauses and asks, "So... are we going to deal with these vermin or keep going with the wagon? Either option leaves something to be desired, but after what a few of them were able to do, I would bet a gold coin that splitting up would be hazardous to all of us."

"Gundren is a friend, and I am loath to leave any friend in the hands of those little orange wretches. I say we go after them and try to discover Gundren's fate." Ellindar binds a rough bandage across the line that the arrow scored along his arm.

He also grasps the crystal hanging from a thong around his neck and utters a sharp phrase that crackles with power. (cast Mage Armor). A shimmer, as if being viewed though a heat wave, appears about his form and then suddenly clears. He then sits cross legged and meditates to recover his power.

Short Rest (d6)+1= 4hp recovered

Arcane Recovery: regains 1 spell level at the end of a short rest.

After the commotion the party spend the next hour (or more)  recovering from the fight with the goblins. They didn't have much, more or less the shortsword one of the melee goblins was using, the rest  of the weapons are below "adventurer standards"

The party recovers. Feel free to do whatever Short Rest Bonuses you have.

After the rest, what shall the party do? If you decide to follow the goblin trail, I'll need a single file marching order as it's only wide enough for 1 character at a time. Also, what will you do with the oxen & supply cart?

"Our friend is clearly in need. Let us not forget, however, that our first duty is to deliver these supplies to Phandalin. If we are to pursue our attackers, we must take measures to guarantee the shipment's safety."

In the absence of anyone more skilled in such matters, Eldric will look for somewhere to pull the cart off the trail and disguise its presence. If there are any items of particular value (monetary or importance to the town), he will recommend the group split part of the load among them. He also volunteers to take the lead.

"Our friend is clearly in need. Let us not forget, however, that our first duty is to deliver these supplies to Phandalin. If we are to pursue our attackers, we must take measures to guarantee the shipment's safety."

In the absence of anyone more skilled in such matters, Eldric will look for somewhere to pull the cart off the trail and disguise its presence. If there are any items of particular value (monetary or importance to the town), he will recommend the group split part of the load among them. He also volunteers to take the lead.

You have a feeling the oxen will be safe here. While the road to Phandalin is the only way into the small town, it is not used very often. The load in the cart is worth about 100 gps. It's mostly mining supplies, but there are other supplies a frontier town might need.

Updated marching order:

Eldric (lead)

Ellindar

Pimorin 

Nyssa (middle)

Ellindar hefts the shortsword experimentally, and looks questioningly at the rest of the party. If no one else expresses interest in it, he slides it into his belt, relocating his knife to his boot. He then gets in line (no preference as to order) and follows down the trail, his familiar silently winging its way ahead.

"Agree. Lets pull the wagon off the trail and disguise it and take a quick look at the goblins trail."

Anywhere in line for me.