SamuraiJack

Ultimate Bestiary: Revenge of the Horde! New 5E Monsters!

About this project
ec56a609d578331de50ffba8352aab54_origina

UNLEASH THE HORDE! Ultimate Bestiary: Revenge of the Horde is not another A-Z of monsters. Instead, we have focused on some of the commonly encountered monstrous races like goblins, gnolls, and orcs, detailing their cultures, environments, and attitudes, as well as introducing a wide variety of stat blocks to suit a range of challenge levels, each with their own unique artwork.

b8fa23ba46299825a27868397bae4d40_origina
  • Bugbears -  Ruled by augury and ritual superstition, bugbears are lead by a mixture of mystics and warriors. They excel at silently hunting their quarry, be it deer, troll, or man.   
994e261ce65cad023fb82145c35a8525_origina
"Tell a tale enough times and the details are sure to change. Somewhere in the thousands of years of telling children not to wander past sundown, or play with fire, or suck their thumbs, folk took to threatening them with bugaboos, or boogiemen, and forgot altogether that the original terror of the night was the, sadly very real, bugbear."  
-Ansel Greer, linguist 

• Gnolls - Scavengers or hunters, whatever niche gnolls fill, they undertake their role with remorseless savagery. The 3 most common types are the powerful and aggressive plains gnoll, the cowardly and opportunistic gutter gnoll, and the cunning and elusive rock gnoll.
b34cf774ec3f2e521ebe723e4b70b62c_origina
"If you see one gutter gnoll, there are two. If you see two, pack your bags and find a new town." 
-Urban words of wisdom 

• Goblins - Cowardly and sadistic bullies, goblins are divided into 3 distinct subgroups; forest goblins, stealthy guerrilla hunters and trappers; hill goblins, the most organized and martial variety; and cave goblins, a degenerate and twisted breed living deep underground.
373e76f98d6951e3c0e560dfe6d579d5_origina
“‘Goblin ambush?’ What next? You may as well tell me to fear an ambush of rabbits!† 
-Last recorded words of Alric Anaut VI 

• Hobgoblins - Utterly focused on waging war with other races, hobgoblins are not to be trifled with. Like a plague of insects, their great hosts will consume all a land has to offer, and march its former occupants off in chains. 
8d2ab4a4514fbd823ad69f363f72e666_origina
“We shall triumph because we are strong, you shall fail because you are weak. While you idle, we train. While you drink, we drill. While you sleep, we march. You are a rabble, we are a legion. You are flesh, we are steel.† 
-Warlord Koskar’s speech at the gates of Borselle 

• Kobolds - Kobolds divide neatly into 2 distinct subtypes. Warren kobolds are kobolds left to their own devices; simple miners and trap builders. When a colony discovers, or seeks out a dragon egg or wyrmling, their society entirely changes to that of the more grandiose and self-important dragon kobolds. ***Content contributor Wolfgang Baur of Kobold Press!***
fdbfec4e51ad88f17ce961a384cb7ab7_origina
"So they're dragons, right? But they can't fly, they can't breathe fire, they're not that clever, and they're tiny. By that logic, my terrier's a direwolf."  
-Overheard in the Drake and Griffin tavern 

• Ogres - Ogres are defined by their violent cruelty, immense strength, and monumental stupidity. They are inordinately proud of all these things.
cbfafa9a04b42b8790716877ae922359_origina

"If you's so smart, how come you's dead and I's not?!"  
-Longest ogre sentence ever recorded

• Okiti - Usually a mischievous nuisance in port towns, okiti can prove deadly if pushed, with huge numbers at their disposal and a knowledge of deadly poisons.   
8a8df833430300dccafa71e702d78634_origina
“Human say okiti stupid, because okiti speak nonsense in circles. Okiti say it is the human who stops to listen, no? So who is the fool?† 
-‘Fights-with-tongue’, okiti ringleader 
  • Like 3

I looked over the PDF I got from backing this project.

It's very well done!  I enjoy the backgrounds and mixed stat blocks for encounters.  The loot charts for each entry really add a lot of character.

I also enjoy how the racial power from the base 5E MM was kept, or, if they didn't have one, it was added.  It fixes a lot of the "increasing bag of HP" issues monsters had.

I feel I'll be importing a lot of this book next campaign.

• Like 1

So, help me understand this project please:
In the pdf there are these monster races, with multiple new stat for new enemys each?

So when I run a encounter with, lets say, goblins, I can have more different goblin options than just the ones in the book, and for different CRs as well?

• Like 1

On 4/13/2017 at 11:26 AM, Nunae said:

So, help me understand this project please:
In the pdf there are these monster races, with multiple new stat for new enemys each?

So when I run a encounter with, lets say, goblins, I can have more different goblin options than just the ones in the book, and for different CRs as well?

Yes.  Most of them are still low CR, but say, for Orcs, you'll have...Orc, Orc Soldier, Orc Chief, Orc Shaman, etc...

It also gives you pre-built sets for them to make different CR encounters.

It has rules for most of them as player races, as well.

• Like 1