Super Kingdom Death Explore!- (Update Gorm)

Here is the Kingsman Nemesis:

And here is the Messenger of Humanity.  The role of this mini in the game is a little odd.  He was part of a set of scenarios that Adam Poots decided weren't working after a beta run.  During the 1.5 Kickstarter, one of the promises made is that new rules will be made for all of the messengers.

Until then, he's being used to represent a survivor.

• Like 19

There's no doubt that the Phoenix is the great centerpiece of the core Kingdom Death board game.  It is a massive, twisted and brilliantly detailed mini.

For my own set, I've decided to follow Super Dungeon Explore logic- as the creatures get larger, they also become less chibi.  This follows the way that old videogames would work (good examples are Final Fantasy or Pokemon- proportions become less chibi as the characters get larger).

Also, the mini already has a massive head in comparison to its body.  Ultimately, I decided to simply change the face instead of rearranging the whole thing.

Inside you can see how the human face inside the mouth has been replaced with a chibi face.  More subtly, the other eyes on the phoenix have been re-scupted to be a little larger.

• Like 20

That is a WONDERFULLY disturbing, BEAUTIFULLY painted creation. As always, VERY WELL DONE!

Edited by malefactus

Wow, that's some great color gradient you painted on the Phoenix. All these colors mixing together are a real treat to look at.

I also really like the nmm on you Kingsman Nemesis.

This is my ‘conversion’ of Kingdom Death’s monster “the Hand” in chibi form.

I put those quotation marks there because I'm not sure at what point I'm crossing a line between conversion and original sculpt.  I started out with a Tanchyo Yajiri:

I cut and reposed the legs, hollowed out the head to sculpt the brain and crown, and sculpted the helmet over the remains of the head.  I was planning to use those ears for the crown, but it didn't work out, so they got removed completely.

I also removed his arms and resculpted them completely.  I sculpted the cape, and added the sword from another Kingdom Death mini.

I was planning on keeping the breastplate, but in the end I cut it out and re-sculpted the whole thing.

In the end, only a small portion of his pants and belt came from the original mini.  I basically just had an elaborate armature underneath there.

I entered him into Reapercon's Open competition, and he got a gold medal.

• Like 13

This is my favourite picture of them all:

Storytelling at its best:

"Hey - did I tell you about the guy I ate last week?"

Great painting! Nothing more to add.

• Like 6

Thanks.  That little diorama was the start of the whole thing.  I'm glad that I realized that I wanted to keep the minis playable before I made it (I magnetized them in there).

*one of the things I love about the game are those check boxes you fill whenever you lose a settlement.  If enough of your people are killed off, you start off finding some of the remains of previous settlements.  Oh, and the starting white lion gets fat.

• Like 1

When creating a full Chibi Kingdom Death set, I found that a number of the larger Kingdom Death monsters already had large heads  (or head like areas).  In some cases, no actual modifications were needed to turn them into Chibi Kingdom Death creatures.

When I'm creating chibi characters, I tend towards some of the more official color schemes.  It helps the characters to be recognizable.  However, with the unmodified monsters, it makes more sense to approach them with a brighter pallet (and go for chibi eyes).

So, here is my Gorm- in strong purples. I painted the eyes similar to the way that I paint Chibi Zombie eyes.  I also decided that the head stalk wasn't a great spot for a light source unless I wanted the mini to be mostly in darkness, so I opted for a second eye instead.

Her's all ready to dismember cute little survivors.

Edited by odinsgrandson
  • Like 11