Kendal

Best Version of DnD?

Thus endeth the saga of the Deck of Many Things in my campaign.

With success, failure and amounts of stupidity like you wouldn't believe.

And if you thought the stupidity was just from drawing cards.... You'd be wrong!

Well, you'd be right a bit, but mostly wrong.

• Like 2

Speaking of the Deck of Many things:  During my last game, our characters met a mysterious figure in a tavern (after the obligatory tavern fight) that is evidently some sort of interplanar merchant trader of magical items.  When we were asking to see his wares, he pulled out an ornate deck of cards.  Everyone else got really excited.  My wizard excused himself and started to leave the tavern, and was preparing to leave the city.  I want nothing to do with a Deck of Many Things.  Luckily the being made the deck disappear.  I did manage to score a Robes of the Master Mage (a less powerful Robe of the Archmage.)by trading away some other magic items and spell books.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

31 minutes ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Speaking of the Deck of Many things:  During my last game, our characters met a mysterious figure in a tavern (after the obligatory tavern fight) that is evidently some sort of interplanar merchant trader of magical items.  When we were asking to see his wares, he pulled out an ornate deck of cards.  Everyone else got really excited.  My wizard excused himself and started to leave the tavern, and was preparing to leave the city.  I want nothing to do with a Deck of Many Things.  Luckily the being made the deck disappear.  I did manage to score a Robes of the Master Mage (a less powerful Robe of the Archmage.)by trading away some other magic items and spell books.

Wise choice... 

Ok but has anyone in the history of mankind spent the two Wishes provided by the Moon card in order to beat an encounter on their own as demanded of the Comet card... and still failed?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Recently came into possession of a D&D Basic Rules Cyclopedia.

Priced it on Ebay, realized what some people will pay for one, and now I'm scared to use the thing...

• Like 4

Oh god yeah the Rules Cyclopedia goes for beaucoup dinero. I remember when ProJared reviewed it and I poked around the ebays out of curiosity and nearly fell out of my chair.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

Recently came into possession of a D&D Basic Rules Cyclopedia.

Priced it on Ebay, realized what some people will pay for one, and now I'm scared to use the thing...

You can now get official reprints from... wherever it is you can get the official reprints from online. 

I have 2 originals, both of which see regular use. Given that they're... nearly 30 years old, they're both doing remarkably well. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Crowley said:

You can now get official reprints from... wherever it is you can get the official reprints from online. 

DM's Guild/RPG Now, most likely. They're the same thing, but the DM's Guild website is tailored for D&D-related products only, while RPG Now shows everything for every system they currently carry. But I know there are a lot of the older, more popular books that are available as a Print On Demand order in either softcover or hardcover. Heck, you can get a full reprinting of all the cards made for Gamma World 7e, the one that used 4e D&D rules and tried to be a CCG too, as actual cut cards rather than a sheet of card stock. And from the reviews I read, they actually look almost identical to the originals.

• Like 2

On 2/11/2018 at 2:54 AM, BlazingTornado said:

Thus endeth the saga of the Deck of Many Things in my campaign.

With success, failure and amounts of stupidity like you wouldn't believe.

And if you thought the stupidity was just from drawing cards.... You'd be wrong!

Well, you'd be right a bit, but mostly wrong.

You just reminded me of a AD&D campaign I played in the 90s where we still rolled the chance of getting random magic treasure at character creation.

Of the items rolled, the Deck of Many Things was one of them. For some reason, it was decided that instead of keeping the item, *all* of the cards had been drawn by the PCs, with only beneficial effects happening, meaning the powers of the negative ones were flipped to become somehow beneficial. For example, the fight with Death became a "Summon Death to fight someone".

So we got extra gear, extra XPs, extra stats, extra gold, extra allies... and then the Wishes started to get used. Did I mention someone also rolled a Ring of Three Wishes?

So yeah, not doing that anymore. It's the first time I've been in a game that was broken right at character creation.

• Like 1

Nothing that bad happened, the Bard was really determined not to let anyone else draw, and the Fighter had no interest. The Ranger only wanted one card.

The Cleric was an idiot.

• Like 1

The first thing I ever had published was in a book of variant Decks of Many Things, way back in 1981, I think? Cards of Power by The Companions.

The Auld Grump

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

The first thing I ever had published was in a book of variant Decks of Many Things, way back in 1981, I think? Cards of Power by The Companions.

The Auld Grump

Interesting.

I'd love to hear more about it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BlazingTornado said:

Interesting.

I'd love to hear more about it.

Been out of print for a long, long time.

The Companions ended up with the Behind Enemy Lines license for a while, then quietly closed its doors - Wm. John Wheeler and Bud Wellington went to work for FASA, which is how they got the license when FASA discontinued the line.

Z0052926.jpg

I haven't had a copy in years - water damage from a fire in the building where I lived at the time.

Wm. John Wheeler died a while back - gave up on treatment for diabetes, and just... let himself die.

*EDIT* The first to have my name on the cover - Chilling Chambers -

11879965492.jpg

The Auld Grump - gods above and below, I'm older now than he was when he died, I think.

Edited by TheAuldGrump
  • Like 3

As I said - it has been a long, long time, and I have not had a copy since the mid nineties, when my upstairs neighbors decided that smoking in bed was a great idea. (Neither was seriously hurt, but the water damage destroyed a whole lot of my stuff - including my old computers and a whole lot of RPG books.)

Our deck was custom, with the cards printed on the inside covers.

The Auld Grump, I ended up living with the main writer for the deck, back in those heady bygone days of the early RPG community - I have not seen her since the nineties, either. *EDIT* Not exactly a friendly break up....

Edited by TheAuldGrump
  • Like 1