Kendal

Best Version of DnD?

1 minute ago, Crowley said:

So... He's going to have Ares pissed off at him? That... seems unwise. 

Yeah well there's a reason his new fighter companion he got from the Knight card of the Deck of Many Things keeps asking "Sir, are you sure that's wise?".

(I just keep waiting for his retort to be "If there's one thing I don't need it's your "I don't think that's wise" attitude.")

But Wave did argue about that prior to being stuffed in the haversack. Poseidon is Ares' uncle, see, and he's also on the top three of olympian rule (along with Zeus and Hades). So if Ares gets mad he can just go take it up with dear old uncle.

• Haha 3

17 hours ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

Claremont wasn't the God of Science, so much as the God of Knowledge, although he was the patron of scientists (as well as being Ronson's brother in law).

And the God of Heroes wore tights and a cape because upon discovering his godly powers, he promptly decided that he had somehow gained super powers, and his frame of reference said that if you have super powers, you put on tights and a cape and fly around doing good deeds...

I am gonna guess that you have read it more recently than I have - and that we share a liking for the comic. ::):

I have only recently started rereading the comic - the cartoonist is taking it off hiatus, and is planning to finish it. (Arthritis and carpal tunnel are why he shelved it for so long. Finishing it is going to be literally painful for him.)

The Auld Grump

• Like 1

I'm trying to flesh out an evil mageocracy in my world that basically took over what was once an Ares-worshipping Sparta-style city state centuries ago and I want the archmage ruler to be an undead but the Lich is too obvious a choice and I'm not sure vampire fits the flavor.... Any suggestions?

Ghoul? Or ... well, I suppose high-level, advanced ghouls would really be ghasts, eh? Some variant on a ghost, spectre or Wraith, if they don't have to be corporeal ...

Failing that, look up intelligent undead and see what catches your eye.

• Like 1

After checking all the available undead in D&D 5e and finding nothing of note, I decided to just google "Greek undead"... and immediately happened upon  the vrykolakas...

So some minor reflavoring of the Vampire Spellcaster, and upping the spellcasting to Lich levels of power, ought to do the trick for this vile fellow after all. XD

• Like 2

Pathfinder 2nd edition coming. Looks like somewhere between a cleanup and an actual update from what's been press-released.

1 hour ago, Club said:

Pathfinder 2nd edition coming. Looks like somewhere between a cleanup and an actual update from what's been press-released.

Some of the new elements were taken from Pathfinder Unchained - most particularly the Three Actions and a Reaction.

I am tempted to start using that part in my next campaign.

The Auld Grump

• Like 1

Somehow my deep gnomes have a very high quota of alcoholism. Wasn't planned that way, but somehow the party met a lot of the svirfneblin in a tavern first. They commented on how there sure are a lot of drunk people in this town. And it kinda makes sense to me, with all the manial low-paying jobs they do, constantly in fear of being eaten by underdark creatures as soon as they leave their settlement. Plus, in Out of the Abyss Blingdenstone is just being resettled after being plundered by the Drow a few decades earlier. They don't even have all of their city recaptured (that's what the party is for!).

• Like 2

Only tangentially connected - I just visited the Wizards website...

They haven't released any D&D novels since 2016? Or did I miss something?

The Auld Grump

They put em on hiatus in 2016, yeah.

But this year apparently RA Salvatore is going to do, wait for it, another Drizzt novel.

One of my coworkers decided he wanted to DM again and managed to talk his Magic buddies into trying DnD.  He had a character creation session today and I, by virtue of having played at least 5 different iterations of d20, became the assistant to help guide character creation as none of his other recruits has ever played DnD.  Keep in mind that my total experience with 5E is the pbp that I was in on this forum.  He has never played 5E but did buy all the core books.  I think I more-or-less got their characters put together correctly, but I'm sure that there is a 5E detail or two that I missed.  He kept their character sheets so hopefully he'll iron any issues out.  I on the other hand spent all of my time helping them and didn't get a character created, thus I got homework.

So the newbies created a sorcerer, a bard, a barbarian, and a rogue.  I thought maybe I should try to help keep them alive and went with a cleric.  For a background all we were told is that the party is on a ship sailing for a new land and we should decide why we were on the ship.  The only reason for a cleric to be on a ship to a new land is if they are on a mission from God and their name is Elwood.  Also, I grabbed 2d10s instead of 2d4 for the weight multiplier and ended up with a 292 lbs cleric.  I decided to go with it and say that is what explains his dump stats (we rolled and I rolled a 6 & a 7 so I have two stats at -2).  I was told this was my experienced player handicap.

At the end I asked if he used minis, and he said he would but didn't own any.  I said I had a few *cough*mostlyunpainted*cough* minis floating around.  The plan is to dust off the ones I do have painted and then see what I have for clerics to paint up. 

At any rate, it sounds like next Friday may be the first playing session, and remain Fridays until one of the engineers gets back on day shift.

• Like 7

6 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Only tangentially connected - I just visited the Wizards website...

They haven't released any D&D novels since 2016? Or did I miss something?

The Auld Grump

Wait, what?

I was under the impression that tie in novels were one of the biggest profit generators for game companies.

3 hours ago, Pingo said:

Wait, what?

I was under the impression that tie in novels were one of the biggest profit generators for game companies.

What happened was, the edition changes screwed up the continuity in the Forgotten Realms (4E advanced the timeline by 100 years), which pretty much borked any chance of further novels starring any of their known characters other than Drizz't - including most of the supporting cast of his own novels.

That was the final nail in the coffin, however, since sales of the last couple Drizz't novels hadn't been nearly as good as previous ones. Part of it was the fact that the folks who'd grown up with the books had hit their 30's and 40's and grown out of/tired of R.A. Salvatore's mediocre writing, and then there was all the 3rd Ed. Drizz't backlash...

Also, Salvatore had begun working on a number of other non-D&D novels and other projects, and didn't have enough time to keep cranking out Drizz't books on a regular basis.

• Like 2

Up until 4th edition, the novels were a much more consistent money maker than the game itself.

As I have said before - the lead up and release of 4e was a fumbled Profession[Marketing] roll.

It did a lot of damage across the brand - from the miniatures game (which had been another consistent money maker), , to the novels line, to the game itself (quite aside from the rules - I am just talking about the marketing here), they pretty much destroyed their market.

5e was nowhere near as offensive in its marketing, but the damage had already been done.

Hell, Pathfinder is a result of that borked [Marketing] roll - and has a thriving line of novels. (I've only read a few - including one by James Sutter, which was not all that bad.)

The Auld Grump - heck, I am a huge fan of the book Bimbos of the Death Sun, from back in the TSR days....

Bimbos_of_the_Death_Sun_by_Sharyn_McCrum

• Like 1