Kendal

Best Version of DnD?

Has anyone else here bought Goodman Games' Beyond The Borderlands?

I got it for my birthday on Sunday and... Well I dig the reprints of the adventures...

But good lordy do I have problems with the 5E conversions. Primarily them adding name and added personality bits to the denizens of the area (the Keep's Advisor is even re-imagined as a Chaotic Evil dude that just sticks out like a sore thumb with characterization out the whazoo) along with its inability to evolve past leather-chain-plate of Basic and into the more intricate armor variations/functions of 5E...

Like... the former misses the spirit of what Gygax designed and the latter just fails to update adequately to 5E's mechanics...

I was really hoping the conversion would make me want to try Keep in 5E again but no...

I saw the book on Sunday, but aside from picking it up and looking at the front and back cover I didn't really pay it much attention.

• Like 1

I think I have played Keep five times. Every time it has felt like a different game.

Someday I will run it for our daughter, and it will be new again. ::):

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

That's kind of the magic of the Keep. It gives you all the NPC and creature placements and otherwise lets the DM tell his own story.

Moreso than most other modules I've read... it's really the module that lets the DM make it their own, so no two games of the Keep are ever identical.

Which is where I feel the 5E conversion from Goodman failed. Even its added areas are just full of references to either the other module (Into the Unknown) or to DCC stuff (like Torgo The Eye-Gouger's son being around)...

I dunno if I ever talked about this on here but I made the Mad Hermit into a bad Doc Brown impression. One of my players is named Martin so the Mad Hermit just kept calling his character Marty.

• Like 2

*Blink* There may be a minor edition war going on at Sam's house right now - Dad 3.5, Mom 5e, Sam Pathfinder...

And they want to have a family game.... (The family that plays together, slays together. ::): )

Final draft of the adventure accepted, and being printed and bound at a local print shop. (Last one was printed at Books a Million - but they got rid of their POD machine.) The Fire Under the Mountain - a fire giant and duergar city/dungeon crawl.

And the return of Cinder - the red(neck) dragon.

Chaotic Evil - in the get drunk and flame things school of evil. Because it is so funny to watch the people run around like their hair is on fire... because it is!. Burning down houses is his way of taking a baseball bat to mailboxes. No far reaching plans - just get drunk and raise Hell. Hollerin' 'Yahoo!' as the horses scatter and burn.

But Cinder is old enough to remember the war, and how the Chaotic Evil races tore down the Lawful Evil Empire of the fire giants and the duergar. He lost family. And he sure knows how to hold a grudge.

Fire Under the Mountain is the third stage from a series of adventure that began with The Keep on the Borderlands. (I have run KotB four times in the past five years. That old adventure has legs!)

I had plans for the next step to be a hobgoblin invasion - but Paizo beat me to it. (Mine would have begun with a siege, Paizo's began with an invasion. Both begin with war.)

The Auld Grump

• Like 1

Oof. New player joined the campaign (one player who's been here since day one has new job commitments that will keep him away from the game for many weeks at a time so his character sadly got delegated to "guest star" status) and for some reason first game in she's already hooked, and the other players are joining in the praise, and someone needs to help me not let that get to my head. :lol:

Worst Stupidest trap that I have ever used that has killed PCs - a rope with a sign on it that reads 'If You Pull This Rope You Will Die'.

Four out of five times, somebody has pulled the rope. (At which point the ceiling comes crashing down, and does more dice of damage than the PCs have hit points.)

The Auld Grump - the fourth time, the rogue said 'You're kidding me, right?' and left it alone.

• Haha 4

22 minutes ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Worst Stupidest trap that I have ever used that has killed PCs - a rope with a sign on it that reads 'If You Pull This Rope You Will Die'.

Four out of five times, somebody has pulled the rope. (At which point the ceiling comes crashing down, and does more dice of damage than the PCs have hit points.)

The Auld Grump - the fourth time, the rogue said 'You're kidding me, right?' and left it alone.

I bet you would have gotten the rogue, too, if you had used a red button instead of the rope.

::D:

• Haha 4