Kendal

Best Version of DnD?

I killed Two of my PCs tonight.  Both to disintegration beams.  One from a Zombie Beholder and an hour later one from the Xanathar.

At least in Adventure League, you can go into Treasure point debt for a scroll of True Resurection.

Two of YOUR PCs or two PCs in your game?

My players are currently in an evil vampire archmage's tower and I really hope they piss him off enough that he just PWKs one of them.

8 hours ago, BlazingTornado said:

My players are currently in an evil vampire archmage's tower and I really hope they piss him off enough that he just PWKs one of them.

Two characters in the game I am running.  My first kills as a DM in Adventure League.

Two characters in the game I am running.  My first kills as a DM in Adventure League.

Nice.

Always a good feeling when a player character dies.

I've killed the same one twice now, and he's still an active member of the party. ::D:

I still haven't figured out how initiative phases work proper during combat but we're still having fun with Basic D&D whenever I just end up with two players.

Today we had a bit more to do as there was no character creation involved, so the dwarf and halfling avoided a pit trap, fought five goblins, during which time the dwarf botched and broke his normal sword, won in the end, harvested arms and armors off the fallen foes (so now the dexterous halfling with her chainmail and shield has an AC of 2, same as the platemailed and shielded dwarf).

They then kept following at the tracks of the goblins, coming across a crypt that had been broken into, the graves of ancient knights within opened, and the nicest sarcophagus' knight missing whatever weapon he was buried with (the others' weapons, as well as the armors, had all weathered away to age).

I still haven't figured out how initiative phases work proper during combat but we're still having fun with Basic D&D whenever I just end up with two players.

On 10/17/2018 at 11:32 AM, BlazingTornado said:

By the way, I'm still trying to understand initiative in Basic/Rules Cyclopedia.

It says it's group initiative and then things go down in "phases", so group 1 (heroes or monsters) does all those things in order, then group 2 does the same...

But then we have the individual initiative variant (which my players would prefer) which calculates everyone's initiative individually but then says otherwise it follows the same procedure...

So do I have to go down the line but prioritize any hero or creature that does a ranged attack or a spell attack before the melee stuff goes down?

It's kinda confusing.

OK, so I went and had a look at the page.  Here's my take.  In a turn in which one side has the initiative, it doesn't make much practical difference which order you do things in.

Morale/Move/Shoot/Spell/Fight is what's given, but if I'm doing everything for my side, the only real question is whether there's a moral failure (because that would happen first) and whether players/creatures are moving too far to fight in the move phase (rule on p103), since everything else is going to happen before there is any response.

If you play the individual initiative variant, it looks like that will always be the case, because you break ties.

In the basic case, though, it looks like a tie roll results in simultaneous action, which means (to me) that we would go through the phases in order, so that both sides do any morale checks, then move, then anyone killed in the missile phase isn't around to cast a spell during the simultaneous spell phase or fight during the simultaneous fight phase.

Wizards have confirmed that next year they're releasing a campaign setting as one of the books for the year. They haven't said which one, just that a campaign setting is coming.

This makes me pleased. I hope it's Dark Sun, because I want the finalized psionics rules. I doubt it will be, but maybe. Spelljammer and Dark Sun would be different enough from Forgotten Realms that I think they're contenders. They may surprise us and do Eberron, but it may be too close to the standard "generic fantasy" setting that they've already got. And given that they just did the PDF book, I doubt it. Wizards doesn't like releasing PDFs of their current books, and even though it may not be the exact same it would most likely be too similar to what the physical book had in it.

Honestly, if I was a betting man, I'd say it will be Spelljammer simply because they've already published those walrus people in a book. And it'll be an attempt to try and eat a little of Starfinder's lunch. Which, if it's successful, would be even more bad news for Paizo.

So I should run initiative through a couple of times just to deal with a round then? First go: morale, second go: move, third go: shoot, fourth go: spell, fifth go: fight?

Meanwhile I spent today's entire Cyclopedia session forgetting to roll Morale for the goblins. -_-

Also the monk who insists she's a catperson died, so the player rolled a human fighter held captive just one alcove further in the goblin lair.

The halfling had to do so much of the combat this session because neither the fighter nor the dwarf had any good rolls, despite the AC6 of the goblins. So now having seen two humans die and two men just suck at hitting things, she thinks humans are just completely fragile and men can't fight worth a damn.

7 minutes ago, Unruly said:

Wizards have confirmed that next year they're releasing a campaign setting as one of the books for the year. They haven't said which one, just that a campaign setting is coming.

This makes me pleased. I hope it's Dark Sun, because I want the finalized psionics rules. I doubt it will be, but maybe. Spelljammer and Dark Sun would be different enough from Forgotten Realms that I think they're contenders. They may surprise us and do Eberron, but it may be too close to the standard "generic fantasy" setting that they've already got. And given that they just did the PDF book, I doubt it. Wizards doesn't like releasing PDFs of their current books, and even though it may not be the exact same it would most likely be too similar to what the physical book had in it. 

Honestly, if I was a betting man, I'd say it will be Spelljammer simply because they've already published those walrus people in a book. And it'll be an attempt to try and eat a little of Starfinder's lunch. Which, if it's successful, would be even more bad news for Paizo. 

There kind of isn't any setting that really pushes all my button but I can probably "harvest" the most out of Dark Sun. I love sword and sorcery but I'm not into psionics or pure wasteland landscape.

They did say Wayfinder's Guide To Eberron would serve as a primer for a more polished Eberron product down the line, so it might still be Eberron.

4 hours ago, BlazingTornado said:

So I should run initiative through a couple of times just to deal with a round then? First go: morale, second go: move, third go: shoot, fourth go: spell, fifth go: fight?

Meanwhile I spent today's entire Cyclopedia session forgetting to roll Morale for the goblins. -_-

Probably?  On one level the whole business of initiative boils down to a question of "does this spell casting get interrupted" and "was someone killed before they could strike again", so there are going to be a lot of times when you don't really need to slice it too finely.

In tabletop miniatures games, we often put a morale check reminder token on the table.  If you're doing "theater of the mind" combat, though, that won't help much.

2 hours ago, BlazingTornado said:

Not exactly miniatures buuuuuuuut...Not sure how I'd add a morale reminder on a VTT though.

It would be tough unless there was some sort of check box list to reset at the beginning of each turn.

6 hours ago, Rob Dean said:

It would be tough unless there was some sort of check box list to reset at the beginning of each turn. 

Roll20 has an initiative tracker, yes. Guess I could put down a token called CHECK FOR MORALE atop the order.

It's starting to look like either WotC are being giant teases, or Spelljammer is very likely to see a release of some sort. Between the Giff being made official for 5e in Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes and the Spelljammer helm in the just-released Arc of the Mad Mage, they're throwing some seeds out there.

Now, whether it ends up being a PDF on DM's Guild like Eberron got, or if it is the unnamed campaign setting book that they've announced for next year it's hard to say. I'm putting my money on it being the setting book. In fact, I'll say it now - if the campaign book isn't Spelljammer related I'll shove a d4 up my nose.

• Haha 3