Sign in to follow this  
LPG

New to CAV: Cover clarifications needed

Context: new to CAV (& the forum, & wargames in general); picked up the KS1 core mostly for paiting, picked up the rule book out of curiosity when it was offered; last weekend finally got around to trying out a basic dictator-vs-dictator game to get a handle on the rules.

There were a number of points of confusion during play, which we just winged, but now it's time to clarify. More posts will follow; let's start with the cover rules.

(if any of these points are plainly stated in the books and we just missed it, page & paragraph references appreciated!)

1) Is cover always symmetrical?

I think this one is simple, but I'm double-checking it first since the rest relies on it. Given CAV B and CAV B standing in two particular spots, will the direct-fire cover modifiers always be the same, regardless of who's shooting who?

Example: CAV A standing in light woods, CAV B in open terrain; CAV A firing at CAV B suffers light cover modifier, and so does CAV B firing at CAV A? Same for standing adjacent to a hill?

2) How does cover from hill-adjacency work?

The text of the rules mentions line of sight exists but a cover modifier applies when a model is "adjacent" to an elevation lower than both attacker and defender elevations, but doesn't seem to say what that modifier is. Among the illustrated examples is one showing a CAV near an E1 hill, benefitting from light cover; but it's not clear how to extrapolate from this.

a) CAV A on E0, near E1 hill, CAV B far away, standing on E0
b) CAV A on E0, near E1 hill, CAV B far away, standing on E2
c) CAV A on E0, near E2 hill, CAV B far away, standing on E0

etc. what's the general rule?

3) Does cover stack?

a) CAV A standing in Heavy Woods, CAV B standing in Light Woods. What cover modifier is applied to direct-fire attacks from A to B? One source of Light Cover, one source of Heavy Cover, couldn't find a clear statement on whether we pick the heaviest cover or add both.

b) CAV A standing in light woods, adjacent to heavy woods; CAV B in open terrain on the other side of the heavy woods. What's the cover modifier now?

c) CAV A standing in heavy woods, on E0, adjacent to an E1 hill. CAV B standing some distance beyond the hill, on E0, in open terrain. Again, what's the cover modifier? Just higher of the wood & hill cover, sum, other?

d) CAV A and B on E1, on opposite sides of an E2 hill, both within 1" of it. Again, does the advacent-to-hill cover apply once or twice?

I'm hoping for definitive answers from CAVBOSS, but I'll be interested to know how others handle it (and if everyone handles it the same!)

CAVBOSS can answer in detail, but I think I can correctly answer some of your questions.

For #1, cover isn't always symmetrical. What would matter in your woods example is whether CAV A is at the edge of the woods or well inside the template. If CAV A is at the edge shooting out, the cover wouldn't apply, as it isn't shooting through woods. But if CAV A was well within the woods and had to shoot through the woods to hit CAV B, the cover penalty would apply to both.

Similarly, on #2, the CAV standing next to the E1 hill would not be subject to any penalty, as it isn't blocking it's view of CAV B. I believe CAV B would have to deal with a light cover penalty (-1) due to the E1 hill CAV A is standing behind. I can't recall the page, but I thought I saw a blocking cover comment about light cover/heavy cover/no LOS being based on whether 1/3, 2/3, or all of the target model was blocked by the cover. That's where the E1/E2/E3 hill elevation would come into play.

I don't want to lead you astray by commenting further if I'm mistaken. Hope this helps.

OK here we go! :)

Symmetrical Cover: Should be the same with all things being equal.

Cover From Hills: The cover modifiers are on p 54, right top corner. Using your examples:

a) If CAV As base is within 1" of the E1 hill "edge" it gets a light cover bonus. If greater than 1" then no bonus.

b) Same as above.

c) If CAV As base is within 1" of the E2 hill "edge" it gets a heavy cover bonus. If greater than 1" the​n no bonus.

Taking your examples one step further.

d)CAV A on E0, near E3 hill, CAV B far away, standing on E0, If LoS goes through hill, then there is Blocking Cover no matter if 1" or 3". If CAV B is on E1 it is only Blocking Cover if CAV A is within the 1".

Cover Stack:

a) If CAV A is greater than 1" from the edge of the heavy woods, than it would pay for both the heavy and light woods cover. If closer than 1" then just the light woods that CAV B is standing in.

b) Assuming both models are on same elevation and CAV A is further than 1" from the edge of the light woods it would pay for both as above.

c) CAV A shooting at B would just pay the heavy woods mod if greater than 1" from edge. If CAV A is within 1" of the hill, CAV B would pay for the heavy woods and a light cover when shooting at "A".

d) Only once, you DO NOT pay for a cover when shooting from behind a hill.

Important note: When building terrain for your board you pay cover mods based on the actual object. So a 6" circle of light woods does the very same mod as a 12" circle of woods if it is just "one" object. So if you want more mods keep the object template smaller. If the LoS draws through three 4" circles of trees for example, the cover mod would be (-3).

Thank you! Most enlightening, with a couple of surprises I'd like to follow up on...

Cover From Hills: The cover modifiers are on p 54, right top corner.

Just a quibble on this. The bullet list tells what modifier each cover type has; what it doesn't seem to address is that "adjacent to E1 hill" is considered Light Cover (and E2 => Heavy). The Cover and Line of Sight Diagram shows it (CAV A to CAV C, CAV A to CAV G), but that diagram is presented as illustrating rules discussed elsewhere... I don't see an elsewhere.

you DO NOT pay for a cover when shooting from behind a hill

This is the big surprise. The impression I got from the book is just the opposite:

p54, column 2, bullet 5: "the cover object is adjacent (within 1") to the attacking or defending model's base"

To me that sounds like a clear "CAV A adjacent to E1 hill suffers cover penalty when shooting 'through' the hill".  What am I misinterpreting? Does a hill not count as a "cover object"? (if not, that seems to only leave the examples as providing rules for hill cover...)

If CAV A is greater than 1" from the edge of the heavy woods, than it would pay for both the heavy and light woods cover. If closer than 1" then just the light woods that CAV B is standing in.

Small surprise here; I don't see anything in the book that refers to the "attacker in a wood, but close to its edge, so no penalty" scenario. (example A vs F comes close, but it's defender in the wood). I'm happy to take your word over the book's, but is there a paragraph I skipped over?

In fact, the "attacker or defender adjacent to a cover object" rule I quoted above seems to contradict it: if cover from wood applies even when I'm outside the wood, how can it NOT apply if I'm inside it? But it's already clear I've misunderstood that rule somehow.

Final thought: thanks for the "important note"; that's a stacking case I should have thought about.

The paragraph for the elevation levels is missing and will be put into the errata update I'm working on now. For now remember:

E1 (hill, building) = Light Cover

E2 (hill, building) = Heavy Cover

E3 (hill, building) = Blocking Cover

Adjacent = Models Base within 1" of Cover Object.

The wording for the bullet needs to be expanded. Attacker is included in that due to woods being cover also. An attacking model standing within 1" of a light woods object (but not in it)  shooting up at a CAV on level 5 would have to pay a light cover penalty as it is shooting through the woods for being adjacent.

Part of the above mentioned paragraph. A Model standing in a light or heavy woods and within 1" of the edge does not pay the cover penalty when firing out. It is assumed with only 15 feet of woods to shoot out of (scale wise) an attacker could line up a shot without hitting a tree.