Sign in to follow this  
Thurvin

Clarifications needed.

When GMS are fired indirectly, what procedure do you use?

Is it correct that with indirect fire, the strike-point roll is modified normally (more or less)  but the secondary combat roll is not.  

Thank you for your time.

Guided missiles always use a target point roll only, never a strike point roll.  They don't drift, even when fired indirectly.  It's just as easy to hit with and without LoS for guided missiles (the missiles use the target lock for guidance).

This was going to be my next question, so thanks from me as well :)

CAVBOSS may be interested in the reasons people misunderstand rules, so here's what I found confusing:

- The Ranged assault and guided missile section (p57) tells us we can fire missiles as "part" of either a direct-fire or indirect-fire assault; it doesn't actually say how it gets used

- The Ranged assault (p54) section reinforces this, indicating that an Indirect Fire assault can be made with either GMs or SA:IF weapons.

- The Strike Point Roll section (p56) seems a little muddled on whether a strike point roll is something that applies to an assault or to a weapon. On the one hand, it's "weapon systems with the SA:IF" that "target a specific area"; but on the other hand, it tells us to make a strike point roll after declaring the strike point "for an indirect-fire assault". Since it's been established that a GM is used as "part" of the IF assault, this left me confused as to whether the strike point should apply to the GM.

A GM requiring a strike point roll in one case but not the other made little sense to me; and drift on a non-AoE weapon seemed a little silly. So I'm glad to see the "sensible" interpretation is the correct one.

• Like 1