Ludo

ReaperCon Survival Kits

67 posts in this topic

This is the first year we have had to hire security. 

See Knarthex's first year & this....hmmm coincidence? I think not.  :devil:

Crazy to think that ReaperCon has gotten this big that this is now part of the con.

The need for security has a lot more to do with the building we are in than the attendees I believe.

Yes.

We are in a much more publicly accessible area with far less ability to assume well-regulated doors.

At the factory for 10 years, we were out of the way, hard (relatively) to find, and very specialty. Foot traffic was not a likely event.

At the hotel for 2 years, we were tucked in a corner, unlikely to be stumbled upon by other than hotel guests that were uninvolved, and thus equally as secure.

Our current venue is a former best-buy in a strip mall at a major intersection, with several very lively and active retail outlets and fast food places nearby, and pedestrian traffic is not unexpected, some of which may decide to come in to see what the "fuss is about". We do not know what the reaction of the Gen-Pop to our particular brand of geekery will be, so we are providing security.

13 people like this

See Knarthex's first year & this....hmmm coincidence? I think not. :devil:

Crazy to think that ReaperCon has gotten this big that this is now part of the con.

The need for security has a lot more to do with the building we are in than the attendees I believe.

Yes.

We are in a much more publicly accessible area with far less ability to assume well-regulated doors.

At the factory for 10 years, we were out of the way, hard (relatively) to find, and very specialty. Foot traffic was not a likely event.

At the hotel for 2 years, we were tucked in a corner, unlikely to be stumbled upon by other than hotel guests that were uninvolved, and thus equally as secure.

Our current venue is a former best-buy in a strip mall at a major intersection, with several very lively and active retail outlets and fast food places nearby, and pedestrian traffic is not unexpected, some of which may decide to come in to see what the "fuss is about". We do not know what the reaction of the Gen-Pop to our particular brand of geekery will be, so we are providing security.

Likely lots of staring and pointing at folks, especially those in costumes. ..

(I walked through downtown Atlanta in my Drow garb during DragonCon in the 90s...

People were hanging out of their car windows to take pics...)

3 people like this

And Haldir, I still have plans to avenge myself upon you for your slurs....

[ the above brought to you by the color purple and the italic font adjustment]

Just remember I don't have long blonde hair  :upside:

4 people like this

Cough drops, I recommend Riccola cherry + honey.

2 people like this

Just remember I don't have long blonde hair  :upside:

You mean you told us the truth about not looking like your avatar?!?!?!

Silly surface elf...

Cough drops, I recommend Riccola cherry + honey.

I like the honey ones with echinacea in them!  Something I keep around all winter here.

Also of critical importance:  The sweet backpack in my user icon so that everyone knows who you are. 

Edited by GuyWithCoolBackpack
5 people like this

One week out, time to start making your packing lists if you haven't already!

1 person likes this

On 9/14/2016 at 6:19 PM, haldir said:

On 9/14/2016 at 9:34 AM, ladystorm said:

See Knarthex's first year & this....hmmm coincidence? I think not.  :devil:

I have not forgotten your slanders surface elf....

Retribution will be swift and sure.....

5 people like this

Don't forget an essential part of your ReaperCon survival kit - food to share with me your new friends.

7 people like this

Food of any particular vintage that you want us to share with our new friends?

17 minutes ago, Reaperbryan said:

Don't forget an essential part of your ReaperCon survival kit - food to share with me your new friends.

I will have many decorated cookies from the wife to share.  Even fit the theme.

TSA is going to have so much fun with my checked bag.. possibly a pistol case full of paint and at least one bubble wrapped bottle of mead.. 

23 minutes ago, SamuraiJack said:

TSA is going to have so much fun with my checked bag.. possibly a pistol case full of paint and at least one bubble wrapped bottle of mead.. 

This sounds suspiciously like my checked bag except I have double the questionable items! I'm also looking forward to going through security with my carryon filled with my paint entries - all nicely wrapped and boxed. 

3 people like this