Pingo

An Index of Non-Drow Figures that Have Been Painted Up as Drow

This is an index thread for figures painted as Drow or dark elves which did not start out as official Drow figures.

I thought people might like links to find figures which work well converted to dark elves, thus this index thread.

It's not comprehensive, just some I've found.  Feel free to add links if you find other figures which have been painted up as Drow.

(I included pictures so it would be easier to see them and see if there are duplicates, but don't feel obliged.)

• Like 7

Drow and Purple really are a good match.

Like Elton John, Prince, or the Joker.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 2

If I ever finish this one:

03285_G.jpg

03285: Dynis, Female Elf Thief

She makes for a great dark elf as well. Oddly no purple, mostly reds.

CORRECTION: She does have some purple, her head scarf....(see been awhile since I picked that one up..... :blush: )

• Like 2

I don't have a picture of her painted since I originally painted her with Testors enamels back in the day and never got around to redoing the paint with acrylics after I stripped it, but  (Edit: Apparently Jack is a really lazy elf and never even got around to stripping it, lol.)

Mithril Miniatures "M1" Galadriel" from their Races of Middle Earth 1 set makes a great drow... The long flowing hair down to her butt looks great in white, and I painted her dress in a very light purple.

She's 32mm and long out of circulation, but definitely a nice figure...

Mithril-M1.jpg

WARNING: Horrific early-'80's Testors enamel paint job ahead...

nsYihM.jpg

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 10

Another old one - Ral Partha DF-148 Female Fighter with Axe...

Not quite a drow, as she was sort of based on an old race from Talislanta (druas, maybe?), but she makes a pretty good Norse-style dark elf...

Still available from Iron Wind Metals

Another hideous early-'80's Testors paint job. And not quite even finished, either.

aCdI8L.jpg

• Like 7

I usually paint up drow to look like regular elves.

On that point, I would have assumed that any elf mini could be painted to look like a Drow?  Is there a specific characteristic of the Drow such that you couldn't do this?

On that point, I would have assumed that any elf mini could be painted to look like a Drow?  Is there a specific characteristic of the Drow such that you couldn't do this?

I suppose in some cases there might be issues with the style of clothing not looking in keeping with what we expect from drow, but I think a high proportion of elves could certainly be painted that way.

About 15 years ago I painted this old GW elf to represent a drow character in a game:

Aemeril.jpg

• Like 4

I suppose in some cases there might be issues with the style of clothing not looking in keeping with what we expect from drow, but I think a high proportion of elves could certainly be painted that way.

About 15 years ago I painted this old GW elf to represent a drow character in a game:

Aemeril.jpg

Games Workshop elves make great Drow.  I think it's because they are so grumpy-looking.

I'm not sure, but I think it would be a lot more difficult to paint a convincing-looking Drow if you start with one of the perkier, happier-looking elf sculpts.

• Like 3

Aemeril.jpg

Games Workshop elves make great Drow.  I think it's because they are so grumpy-looking.

I'm not sure, but I think it would be a lot more difficult to paint a convincing-looking Drow if you start with one of the perkier, happier-looking elf sculpts.

They can be happy when they're tormenting some dwarf...

• Like 4

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Nightwing
      Here is the Drow Captain from the Grenadier Action Art: Monsters set. See my previous thread for the Thief Assassin to see the Painting Guide color recommendations. 

• By Ironhammer
      So, after indulging in the metal trade at Reapercon this year I found myself going through my stores of salvaged miniatures and putting together various bits and pieces.  I tend to save a lot of scraps and fragments of figures in my spare parts bin (or drawer, rather) which I think may be useful for something someday or other, and after pouring the lot of it out and sifting through it I realized that I have accumulated an awful lot of this sort of thing, and it was high time I did something with it.

After messing around and experimenting for a couple of hours I came away with a promising assortment of parts, enough to assemble three or four female figures in all.  I thought it would be fun to make a WIP out them (hopefully it will help keep me motivated to finish all four of them).  Most of the parts are from Reaper figures (I'll try to list the catalog numbers), but there are a few other bits and pieces in between, which I'll try to identify as best I can.

First off, I've got one of the alternate torsos from the 03096 Pegasus rider.  This matched up really well with a random set of legs I had lying around, which I think once belong to a steampunk-ish figure.  Digging around in my stores of weapons I found the original shield that went with the torso. 

Next up, I have the upper torso from the 03631 Sea Elf Bard, which marries up surprisingly well with the legs from the alien pole dancer from 50270.  In particular, by using a hobby knife to carefully separate the thighs of the legs I was able to get a pretty dynamic looking pose (DISCLAIMER:  In the picture it looks a bit like she has some camel toe going on, which is an artifact left over from the incision I made to separate the legs.  That being said, I have nonetheless linked the picture to comply with forum rules on nudity).

http://s1376.photobucket.com/user/Jack_Ironhammer/media/20180904_012314 2_zpsaxgvp2ma.jpg.html?filters[user]=145063139&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=3

Lastly for now, I've got the torso from the 03459 Angel of Justice.  With a bit of judicious trimming, it marries up almost perfectly with the legs from 03336 Cancer from the Children of the Zodiac series.  Pictures are linked below due to nudity on the angel model.

http://s1376.photobucket.com/user/Jack_Ironhammer/media/20180903_230715 2_zpscmiiqn4i.jpg.html?filters[user]=145063139&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=1

I started out with the angel of justice mashup.  The original figure was drilled for wings, and since I was already starting to get kind of a supernatural vibe from the figure I dug around my spares bin for something wing-ish to put there.  I ended up with a pair of fairy wings.  I then looked for something suitable to put in her hand where the original sword was, and after a bit of experimentation I decided that another sword is kind of looked the best.  As before, images containing nudity are linked separately below.

http://s1376.photobucket.com/user/Jack_Ironhammer/media/20180904_011843 2_zpscgmugyiq.jpg.html?filters[user]=145063139&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0

Whatever she is, she's got a very triumphant look about her (a couple people I showed her to said she looked a bit like the Statue of Liberty).  As such, I have dubbed her The Fairy of Victory.  I have no idea what a Fairy of Victory does, but I'm quite sure its suitably magnificent.
    • By Chris Palmer
      This past week I decided to paint the Kristianna figure from the Bones 2 "Heroes I" set. I had recently seem someone post online somewhere (was it here?) some figures they had done with the clear weapons from Bones 3 weapon sprues; where they had painted parts of the clear piece, and left others see-through; and I had decided I wanted to try something similar with this figure.
      I'm really happy with the results.

For the full conversion and painting article, please see my blog: Kristianna Conversion

• By DocPiske
      So here are a few of the Bones weapon sprue conversions I've done.

14069 Sir Malcolm, metal figure, opaque gray hammer.

(Please forgive the chipped paint; this one has been done for a while and used in games.)

77413 Margara, Bones figure, clear red hammer.

77417 Ivar, Bones figure, clear red hammer. As a side note to anyone who is looking to paint this figure, the detail on the chain mail is very shallow.

And a Wizards of the Coast Renegade Warlock, plastic figure, clear purple staff.

All in all, easy conversions. I'm looking forward to doing some with the swords and shields.
    • By Chaoswolf
      Some of you are old enough to remember the old Dungeons and Dragons toy line from way back when. In that toy line, they featured an evil fighter named Warduke. He also made one appearance in the cartoon, and was given stats (more than once) for use in the pencil and paper RPG.

I have decided to make/convert a copy of him for myself.

This is who I'm talking about for those that don't know, or remember:

He got brought back for 3.0 or 3.5 edition D&D, too:

Now, that's some pretty cool artwork, and my apologies to Mr. Reynolds, but it's wrong. Warduke is LEFT handed.
      See?

Anyway, now that we all know who I'm talking about, I chose the Bones version of Goldar : http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/goldar/latest/77047 
      to use as the base for this project.

And this is what I've gotten done so far:

Hand removed for a weapon swap, left arm armor sculpted with GS, started reshaping the left boot.
  • Who's Online   29 Members, 1 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)