Pingo

An Index of Non-Drow Figures that Have Been Painted Up as Drow

This is an index thread for figures painted as Drow or dark elves which did not start out as official Drow figures.

I thought people might like links to find figures which work well converted to dark elves, thus this index thread.

It's not comprehensive, just some I've found.  Feel free to add links if you find other figures which have been painted up as Drow.

(I included pictures so it would be easier to see them and see if there are duplicates, but don't feel obliged.)

• Like 7

Drow and Purple really are a good match.

Like Elton John, Prince, or the Joker.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 2

If I ever finish this one:

03285_G.jpg

03285: Dynis, Female Elf Thief

She makes for a great dark elf as well. Oddly no purple, mostly reds.

CORRECTION: She does have some purple, her head scarf....(see been awhile since I picked that one up..... :blush: )

• Like 2

I don't have a picture of her painted since I originally painted her with Testors enamels back in the day and never got around to redoing the paint with acrylics after I stripped it, but  (Edit: Apparently Jack is a really lazy elf and never even got around to stripping it, lol.)

Mithril Miniatures "M1" Galadriel" from their Races of Middle Earth 1 set makes a great drow... The long flowing hair down to her butt looks great in white, and I painted her dress in a very light purple.

She's 32mm and long out of circulation, but definitely a nice figure...

Mithril-M1.jpg

WARNING: Horrific early-'80's Testors enamel paint job ahead...

nsYihM.jpg

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 10

Another old one - Ral Partha DF-148 Female Fighter with Axe...

Not quite a drow, as she was sort of based on an old race from Talislanta (druas, maybe?), but she makes a pretty good Norse-style dark elf...

Still available from Iron Wind Metals

Another hideous early-'80's Testors paint job. And not quite even finished, either.

aCdI8L.jpg

• Like 7

I usually paint up drow to look like regular elves.

On that point, I would have assumed that any elf mini could be painted to look like a Drow?  Is there a specific characteristic of the Drow such that you couldn't do this?

On that point, I would have assumed that any elf mini could be painted to look like a Drow?  Is there a specific characteristic of the Drow such that you couldn't do this?

I suppose in some cases there might be issues with the style of clothing not looking in keeping with what we expect from drow, but I think a high proportion of elves could certainly be painted that way.

About 15 years ago I painted this old GW elf to represent a drow character in a game:

Aemeril.jpg

• Like 4

I suppose in some cases there might be issues with the style of clothing not looking in keeping with what we expect from drow, but I think a high proportion of elves could certainly be painted that way.

About 15 years ago I painted this old GW elf to represent a drow character in a game:

Aemeril.jpg

Games Workshop elves make great Drow.  I think it's because they are so grumpy-looking.

I'm not sure, but I think it would be a lot more difficult to paint a convincing-looking Drow if you start with one of the perkier, happier-looking elf sculpts.

• Like 3

Aemeril.jpg

Games Workshop elves make great Drow.  I think it's because they are so grumpy-looking.

I'm not sure, but I think it would be a lot more difficult to paint a convincing-looking Drow if you start with one of the perkier, happier-looking elf sculpts.

They can be happy when they're tormenting some dwarf...

• Like 4