Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Pingo
      So I am working on a batch of vampires.

Up until now I have generally painted vampire eyes either like regular eyes, but red

or kind of glowy red-gold.

I felt like I wanted to try some other options.

So I gessoed a piece of bristol board and painted a patch of grey on it (I paint vampire skin grey and white) and added some black blodges to represent eye sockets.

From the centimeter scale, you can see that these are way bigger than mini eyes. That is because I am not a masochist where practice is concerned.

Then I laid in some eye shapes in pale grey (the whites of eyes are pale grey in general, not pure white). You can see a column of them still unplayed-with, third from the left.

I played around with types of preternatural eyes, using a limited palette of Golden Matte Fluid Acrylics: Titanium White, Carbon Black, Red Oxide, Yellow Ochre, Hansa Yellow Opaque, and a very limited amount of Quinacridone Magenta.

Some of the eyes are based on leopard eyes and gorilla eyes.

This way one can test eyes on a large scale before committing to figures.
    • By Pingo
      The GM said we needed a nosferatu, so here we are.

This is Reaper's 02867: Matthias the Twisted, a gnarly rattish vampire.

All paints used are Golden Matte Fluid Acrylics. Color mixes are (usually) noted, but not exact ratios.

Questions are welcomed and I will try to answer them. Critiques are appreciated.

This is the way I usually start miniature figures: Lightly primed with Titanium White, then when that is dry, washing it over with Burnt Umber. Burnt Umber is a dark, transparent pigment that settles into crannies when thinned down and shows the details very well. It also gives a nice warm undertone to later paint layers.

(I have to remember that I experimented with a cold blue-grey wash on some vampire figures that avoided all the nice warm undertones.)

I paint vampires with stark white skin, shaded with flat greys mixed from Titanium White and Carbon Black. This is almost the only time I ever use such a simple mix for greys.

The first layer is a thinned white (blodginess is the underpainting showing through).

Steps in shading:

• By Geoff Davis
      The thing I like about WIP forums is the additional motivation it gives me to get projects done.  I've been working on this one for a while and have been horrifically stalled.  I was playing a fighter in a D&D campaign.  She started as a crossbow wielder.

But because the party had no tank, she had to armour-up to survive.  And she got a horse.

Then I sensibly figured that she should ride the horse... so a conversion began.  But then of course the character got killed and motivation dropped to, well, zero.  Here is the story of that conversion, as yet incomplete, but which I intend to finish.  No longer will she sit on my shelf of shame. 

I bought another Finari to desecrate convert.  I also got this figure to provide the horse/lower torso.   14177: Onyx Chevalier,Overlords Solo

Torso severed preserving her belt.  Sword was removed preserving the hilt and shield removed.  It took me quite a while to decide where to cut and what to preserve.

All the parts fitted and laid out for assembly.  After fitting them together I realized the sword on the saddle just wouldn't work so I removed it and made a new one out of greenstuff using the preserved hilt I removed in the first step.

Primed and base-coated.  And moved from the shelf of shame to the front of the 'must complete' row.

• By Pingo
      (Note: I actually started these a while back, though they are not done yet. This is a bit less of a WIP thread than a how-I-got-here-so-far thread, which I will update as I get my old pictures organized. Questions and comments and critiques are, as always, welcome.)

Last summer Bad Squiddo Games hosted a brief Kickstarter, "My Last Sunrise," of an assortment of Gothic horror minis centered around vampires. These two stood out to me as a little beyond the Hammer horror ethos of most of the other figures. While I was painting them I thought of them as "Feral Vampires," although when I just rechecked they are called "Vampire Thralls."

I dunno. They don't look very thrall-like to me.

Their tag line in the Kickstarter was "Float about in my night dress cooing for scraps? No way. I hunt my own meal."

Anyhow, they have a fun, odd, lady pirate or highwayman look.

All paints used are Golden Matte Fluid Acrylics. Color mixes are (usually) noted, but not exact ratios.

Questions are welcomed and I will try to answer them. Critiques are appreciated.

This is a slight deviation from how I prime figures. Normally I prime them with Titanium White (which I did here) and then wash over them with Burnt Umber to bring out the details. These I wanted kind of cold-looking, so I washed them with a cold dark grey mixed from Burnt Sienna and Ultramarine Blue.

That's them on the left. For a while I was including Bad Squiddo's "Dracula" in the photos, so you get a free peek at that too.

And as per usual, the first thing I did was their skin. In contrast to the skin of living humans, I have been painting vampire skin in stark black-and-white mixed from Titanium White and Carbon Black. The very first layer is thinned Titanium White, then pale shadows of the lightest grey.

• By Mutilatedlips
      Decided to paint him as a Drow to add to House Depsana's arsenal of nastiness.

• Who's Online   13 Members, 0 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)