Kang

Kang's Kreations - Molten Metal Madness

64 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Update:  Hahaha, I did get worldtraveler's mailing address (see previous post); I'll be sending the original iron dogs casting I've been trying to copy and the plaster light switch cover for him to lost-wax-ceramic-shell-cast in bronze for me as he promised, perhaps not expecting me to hold him to it.  He can come off as a bit mouthy when criticizing YT content creators when he concludes they are a bunch of "elf-hats" (there's a lot of "foundry" videos of guys acting like they know how to make a casting safely but don't, they're pouring on their knees a foot away from the mold on a wet cement floor in sandals and shorts wearing flimsy gardening gloves and no face shield etc., inexplicably spraying water on everything in sight like that makes them safer (a wonderful recipe for steam explosion powered airborne molten metal), and someone imitating could/would get very badly hurt), but I can say for sure now that I called him on his promise, he's not afraid to put his money where his big loud mouth is, and it does seem like he criticizes mainly with helping others (whose hats he deems less elfy) succeed and stay safe in mind.  Bit of a character, you might say, but a good guy deep down so far as I can tell...  I can't wait to see video of how his process works!  He seems to find the whole situation hilarious, as do I. All in good fun, and it gives him an excuse to cast something - his WiP waxes for the next bronze gas lamp he'll be making aren't gonna be ready for months anyhow, so really everyone gets to have a little fun.  I'll post pictures when I receive the bronzes!

Although he's already talking about making the wax patterns he`ll pull from mine thicker than the originals, which will make it a little less challenging to get the molds to fill.  Sounds like cheating to me...  :)  Geez, I haven't even mailed them out yet and I'm already making excuses why he'll succeed where I failed!

Ceramic shell casting works a lot like Talespinner's lost wax casting adventures posted in the sculpting subforum, but the molds are made differently.  To put it in layman`s terms, investment molds are poured with a plaster-like substance, whereas ceramic shell patterns are repeatedly dipped in a ceramic slurry and dusted with fine sand and allowed to dry completely until a thick enough shell is built up to contain the molten metal.  Both mold types need to have the wex melted out, then both types need to go into a kiln before the pour, but for different reasons (calcining vs. sintering).  The mold materials are generally not reusable in either method.

Edited by Kang

Posted (edited)

On 29/03/2017 at 7:20 AM, TaleSpinner said:

That is fantastic.  I would totally buy that from you. It looks like it would throw well as a tomahawk.

Ha!  I am currently on holiday at my parents' place out west in Kelowna, BC, and the other day my dad and my son and I actually went to one of those places where you can go throw axes at targets for an hour.  Now that is some kinda fun!  Been documenting the stuff we've been doing here on my YouTube channel, so there is axe throwing footage online there if anyone is interested.

Also, deadly giant birds!

And a lot of swimming.  Don't worry, it's pretty safe to watch - I did my best to edit out as much footage of me with my shirt off as I could...

https://youtu.be/Xcnbslifguc

This place actually allows people to bring their own axes to throw, unlike the place back home in Ottawa that I checked out several months ago, which considered that to be too much of a liability.  Ottawa, go figure...  If I still had my bronze axe, I'd have been a little sad I didn't bring it along.  I'm definitely setting up some targets in the back yard when I make the next one though!

Kang

Edited by Kang
2 people like this

I've got to set up a target as well.  Just have to figure out what sort of boards are best.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

This place had chunks of what they said were spruce trunks.  Dad thought they looked more like ponderosa pine though.  Before we began throwing, they sprayed them with water, apparently this keeps them from getting beat up too quick and helps blades stick in.  Let me know if you find out any more about how that should be done, chucking axes is a blast!

Kang

Edited by Kang
Autocorrect messed up my post