Kang

Kang's Kreations - Molten Metal Madness

80 posts in this topic

Been watching it.  Not bad so far; music is horrible. <cringe>

2 people like this

Oh man, I think he would have a stroke if he heard you say that after all the trouble he went through getting his videos to stay public AND have music in them, LoL...

You can post all the ingredients in common patina reagents you want, but Liver of Sulphur is always gonna sound like a potion ingredient to me...  ::D:

(seriously though, that info is much appreciated, thanks)

Kang

13 minutes ago, Kang said:

You can post all the ingredients in common patina reagents you want, but Liver of Sulphur is always gonna sound like a potion ingredient to me...  ::D:

(seriously though, that info is much appreciated, thanks)

Probably because it hales from the days of actual alchemists. :lol:

3 people like this

Ron Young recently came out with a second edition of his book, Contemporary Patination, My buddy who cast those dog-hooks for me bought it (despite cringing over the price tag), but now that he has it, he says he has no regrets and highly recommends it.  Real recipes, not just "order patina mystery mix #34 from my online store and apply hot"  type of stuff (there may be a it of that too but not an excessive amount).  Sounds like a winner.  Just FYI.

Kang

1 person likes this

Here is a (~15 minutes) video I just uploaded to accompany my entry in one of the home foundry forums for metal casting hobbyists I am a member of.  I am not sure if I can post the URL for the forum.  It is not attached to a business like these forums, but they do accept donations from members in exchange for extra upload space for pix as well as posting permissions in a few special subforums, to help keep the lights on, the software upgraded, and the bills paid.  A grey area in my mind, rules-wise...  To be safe I will not post a URL unless someone asks or tells me it's OK.  'The Home Foundry' is quite a new forum, not "Alloy Avenue", which I know some of our members here are already familiar with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5FkA22RWr4

Hope you guys enjoy stuff like this!

The video is just part 1, showing how I made the Styrofoam pattern for a spooky new cast aluminum belt buckle.  I tried to make my project something that anyone could do who has some kind of a way to melt and pour metal and who owns a bucket of sand, so that the video could be more interesting for casting newbies and old timers alike.  You will see me using a band saw and a belt sander here, but I still could have done this project even if the only tools I own were a hacksaw, a file, and a sheet of sandpaper.  Oh, and a hot glue gun.  In part 2 I will use a drill press and a drill as well, but the press is also optional

I would have liked to enter my foam-cast aluminum electric Jack-O'Desk Lamp, but the rules of the contest ask for a new project that hasn't been shown online before, which rules Jack out.  For this project I am using lost foam casting because, as you will see in the video, I have a sizable hoard of styrofoam skulls and other Hallowe'en décor I've been gradually accumulating over the years, which is perfect for casting stuff like this.  Which of course is the reason I've been hoarding the stuff.

Part 2, showing the pour and the finishing of the belt buckle will be going up sometime before Hallowe'en, barring some unforeseen disaster.

I know I am not the only one on this site who casts metal, so I just thought I'd share the info about this contest going on in case anyone wants to try and beat me to that sweet, sweet prize money.  I am not even sure we have enough entrants for judging to take place yet.  Better sign up quick if you're interested!

Here's another video where Dave, the new forum's owner, announces the contest and gives a little more detail about how to enter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqaGUePrM28

Kang

Edited by Kang