Sign in to follow this  
Finnman

Reaper Paint Sets

Hello all,

I'm new to the forum, but have been following a few threads for painting help and inspiration.  I'm currently working on painting my first two models after following a number of tutorials (Hot Lead, Forums etc.), and I'm using the Master Series Core Colors Set #1 (108 paints) which is a fantastic set and has pretty much all I need as a beginner.  I've got quite a few minis that I plan to paint, and I can't help but wonder what I'm missing with some of the other MSP sets, particularly this one:

https://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/paint%20set/sku-down/09957

Does this effectively "complete" the entire MSP collection of colours following Set #1?  Are there additional colours and sets that have been released since then?  Also, generally speaking, what does this set add to Set #1 in terms palette and products?

It'd be nice if there was a breakdown for each of Reaper's paint set offerings, to understand completely what they contain, what they add to your arsenal (complimenting other sets, general purpose or specific function) etc.  I'd love to know what I'm missing and where else I should invest in expanding my paint collection.

Any information would be greatly appreciated!  Also I'll post some WIP soon (although I'm close to complete so I may just post the final result).

Cheers!

-Finn

• Like 5

I do not know all of the paint set and such, but I have made a list (for my own use) of all the Reapers Paints. including Promo colors and unreleashed colors and I get a count of 416 paints. So Set 2 will not complete the paint line. 

• Like 1

If you're a beginner and you have paints and minis.

My advice would be, start painting!

Then when you're working you will be like...hmmm I need a certain blue or brown.

Then write that down, make a list and buy those!

Else you might end up with loads of paint you don't use, because we all have our own painting style.

For example if you like to paint hordes of undead, you will need different colours then if you like to paint an army of lizardmen.

So start painting and figure out what you like.

You can choose your own paint set in the Reaper Store. BTW.

Edited by ladystorm
BYOPS currently Out of Stock
  • Like 6

There is a PDF of all the colors some where in the forum and I have it lets see if I can find it. 

I have two one showing their Triads and the other in numeric order. 

Edited to add links to the post. and to add.

Xherman1964 has the right of it. paint and when you need a paint buy it, if you don't then don't buy it. 

Reaper Paint Swatch Poster with MSP, HD, HGB, & KS Paints (Rev 7 (Triad Groups)).pdf

Reaper Paint Swatch Poster with MSP, HD, HGB, & KS Paints (Rev 9 (Numeric Order)).pdf

• Like 6

I do not know all of the paint set and such, but I have made a list (for my own use) of all the Reapers Paints. including Promo colors and unreleashed colors and I get a count of 416 paints. So Set 2 will not complete the paint line. 

You have probably managed to include paints that are no longer in production if your list is that long.

• Like 1

Hello Finnman, and welcome to a very friendly forum. 

Here's Reaper's MSP web page that shows all the current MSP and MSP HD paints.  The set you linked should consist of all the paints between 09115 and 09270, 108 different paints.

One thing some new painters don't understand is how easy it is to mix paints, especially if you have something close to start out with.  So don't get too set on buying every paint unless that's your thing.  Some people enjoy collecting paints almost as much as painting.  Also realize that a bottle of paint is bigger than you might think.  Reaper's paints start out thinner than many brands, but still last a long time.  

• Like 2

Thank you everyone for the replies!

It appears from those PDFs that Set 1 is comprised of the first 108 triads (with 3 bonus colours thrown in). I'm guessing Set #2 is comprised of the next 108 triads, and presumably some of the smaller sets expand on that.

I've already started painting but it's getting me excited about other swatches to play with. It's less about having specifically what I want and more about having choice while I'm painting, but I don't think I'll invest in another giant set unless it expands on my set in some meaningful way (washes, inks etc.).

do any of you have opinions on which of Reapers metallics are the best? It's hard to tell from the PDF how some of the other ones are different, but the way they've rendered the gradients on those swatches leads me to believe to perhaps some of the newer metallics are more reactive to light.

Cheers!

-Finn

Serenity, I am somewhat a completionist, so yes collecting paint is as exciting as painting :)

-Finn

• Like 3

It appears from those PDFs that Set 1 is comprised of the first 108 triads (with 3 bonus colours thrown in).  I'm guessing Set #2 is comprised of the next 108 triads, and presumably some of the smaller sets expand on that.

I've already started painting but it's getting me excited about other swatches to play with.  It's less about having specifically what I want and more about having choice while I'm painting, but I don't think I'll invest in another giant set unless it expands on my set in some meaningful way (washes, inks etc.).

do any of you have opinions on which of Reapers metallics are the best?  It's hard to tell from the PDF how some of the other ones are different, but the way they've rendered the gradients on those swatches leads me to believe to perhaps some of the newer metallics are more reactive to light.

Cheers!

-Finn

Based on the number that was quoted, that would include the HD Paints, the Bones HD Paints as well as Limited Edition paints. These are only available at certain times of the year or for special events like ReaperCon.

Serenity, I am somewhat a completionist, so yes collecting paint is as exciting as painting :)

-Finn

You're in trouble. :lol:

Check the Reaper Learn to Paint Kits and see if there's overlap with your current collection. Otherwise, look into the HD paint line. IMO, For beginner, the HD paint line is better, because its "one coat" coverage means you'll get your mini's painted less frustratingly. The MSP triads, however are VERY good for "handholding". Buy a triad and you'll find the right shade of color you weren't sure you were looking for.

Also, consider washes, such as Secret Weapon Miniatures and The Army Painter (Quickshade Ink set). I will wash a miniature after priming, to make applying the paints easier.

Edited by ced1106
  • Like 1

It appears from those PDFs that Set 1 is comprised of the first 108 triads (with 3 bonus colours thrown in). I'm guessing Set #2 is comprised of the next 108 triads, and presumably some of the smaller sets expand on that.

I've already started painting but it's getting me excited about other swatches to play with. It's less about having specifically what I want and more about having choice while I'm painting, but I don't think I'll invest in another giant set unless it expands on my set in some meaningful way (washes, inks etc.).

do any of you have opinions on which of Reapers metallics are the best? It's hard to tell from the PDF how some of the other ones are different, but the way they've rendered the gradients on those swatches leads me to believe to perhaps some of the newer metallics are more reactive to light.

Cheers!

-Finn

-Finn

To tell the truth, I like Reaper's Metallics, but IMHO the best metallic paints are from Scale 75.

They need a firm shake and you'll have to pierce the tip the first time, they come with a sealed tip.

They have some nice sets, Steel and Gold based,. including some interesting colours like Cobalt Blue, Emerald green, Kunzite etc, those are cool to make jewelry with.

I second the scale 75 paints, especially the metallics....

Herman, you forgot Kalahari Orange for rust!

There is also a copper and brass set...

They really work great!

They really need to be shaken well...

• Like 2

I second the scale 75 paints, especially the metallics....

Herman, you forgot Kalahari Orange for rust!

There is also a copper and brass set...

They really work great!

They really need to be shaken well...

Odd, I do have that one, yet I use the Vallejo Special effect Set for rust, blood and vomit..

23 pages of discussion about Scale 75 paints here.

Because you should get other opinions besides that of a Drow and a mousy Bleach Blonde Wolf with fur dye addiction...

George

• Like 3

Thank you for all the additional replies!

With regards to paint, I was also wondering about lighting.  I've been painting next to a hobby light, in very close proximity (it's got a white CFL bulb) and I find that sometimes it's really hard to pick out the highlighting I've just done.  This is especially true for metallics because of how they react to the light.  I find I'll over apply and have to wash down the highlight after, and probably spend more cycles on highlighting/blending because of it.  Any recommendations for ideal lighting conditions while painting?

• Like 1