Adept Legacy

Getting To Know Each Other - October 2016

805 posts in this topic

The Frequently Ignored "Rules"

1. Every day, or so (unless I am out or ill or something) I will post a question.

2. In theory there is a 24 hour span to answer that question before the next question is posted.

2.5. (Rule 2 is the most frequently ignored rule.)

3. Questions are going to be posted between 0200 and 0700 MT. (Sorry my schedule is a little wonky. 

4. Everyone is encouraged to submit questions to be posted by me via PM.

5. You do not have to answer every question...  and probably will not want to.

6. If a question is TMI or N/A simply wait for the next question or post that you decline to answer (why would be nice).

7. Questions usually run 2, perhaps 3 days on weekends.

October 1st and 2nd's Question:

Suppose you are in a coffee shop hanging out with middle school version of you (or a clone with the stolen memories of yourself at that time, cast into the future to prevent a paradox).

If you were talking about who you were going to be as a person when you grew up versus who you are right now, how different is what you both want?

Edited for formatting. And the question has been updated. The niceties must be observed.

Edited by Adept Legacy
5 people like this

Hmm. First question on my list really starts off with a bang.

I figure the weekend questions are supposed to be longer answers. hahaha.

Middle school me, would not like me. Pretty sure we wouldn't get along.

Middle school goals of machinery, engineering and working in a factory pretty much fizzled out after I did it.

Now I am in a customer-centric tech support position and I never watch anime anymore. Not sure how I would have taken that, previously diagnosed as someone who used to have crowd anxiety.

...and that is my too much information for the day.

By the way, I've come back from the dead for this thread, in keeping with the holiday rituals to follow.

5 people like this

Suppose you are in a coffee shop hanging out with middle school version of you.

If you were talking about who you were going to be as a person when you grew up versus who you are right now, how different is what you both want?

I think we'd get along fine. Middle school me would be terrified of some of the stuff going on in my life right now, but probably ecstatic after getting used to the idea. We're both nerds, so the fact that I ended up as a programmer makes us both happy. ::P: Getting to spend time painting minis would definitely thrill middle school me. Having kids would definitely be scary but very happy-making... Middle school me would certainly be shocked and baffled by some of the people currently in my life, but again, after a bit of adjustment, I think younger me would be thrilled to see how many things have changed for so much the better.

Basically, I've ended up exactly where I hoped, only so much better than I dreamed was possible at that age. And yes, I realise I'm absurdly lucky. ::):

6 people like this

AH, the age-old question of handing down wisdom to your younger self. I'd let me know that it does get better as time goes on, and I need to not take myself so seriously so that I can loosen up. The bullying eventually ends, and that the important thing is not to accepted by everyone, but to be accepted by those who are worth your time. I would also tell me not to have a narrow view of what I wanted in life, because it can surprise us in surprising ways. ^_^

7 people like this

Middle school me would like to be warned NOT to marry that girl now...

Also Middle School me would probably be a tad afraid of me..but in the end he would like me.

And I would kick Middle School Me's elf for some things he shouldn't do...

7 people like this

I don't think it would go well at all. Middle school was an amazingly bad time for me. I don't think the conversation world get much past, "how long until things get better". I don't think he would keep talking after being told until you leave town, 6 or 7 years from now.

5 people like this

Talking to Middle School me:

First, I would get on his good side by telling him about some amazing books he has not read yet, and we could talk about the ones he already read.  I think that would get us off on the right foot.  As he was mostly a do-gooder and always voted as "most likely to succeed", I would warn him about what it really means to study in college, and that he should learn his socialization skills in high school after he gets contacts and not wait for college years to interfere with where he might go.  He probably won't listen, because he didn't understand about girls yet (not that I still do, but I have a better perspective).  

I would then talk about his opportunities for different forms of education.  Consider much more closely the chance to go to Japan and study Judo at the Kodokan.  Choose a future of study that did not include poison ivy, as that is going to be very bad... very bad indeed and will pretty much invalidate most of the college classes taken.  He's still not going to listen, most likely, but if the warning is there perhaps he will be more aware of the guideposts.  

I would hand him a handful of miniatures and some paintbrushes and get him started on something he would have enjoyed finding much earlier in life.  I would tell him to look for places to live that actually had a game store and a friendly community.  

There are also a lot of things I wouldn't tell him.  He doesn't need to know how to deal with Alzheimer's and family... he will pick that up on his own.  He doesn't need to know about good work ethics... Dad will keep sharpening that stone for some time.  He doesn't need to know about any big world events that are coming.  He doesn't need to know that he could like Dick Tracy with a phone watch by the time he is my age (I don't... but I could... even though he would think it was cool).  

Yeah, the more I think about it.  Talking about books and hobby stuff would be the most productive.  Trying to change his future, much less so... 

7 people like this

Anything I could say would really just create the time travelers paradox

8 people like this

Anything I could say would really just create the time travelers paradox

I think the premise is that PresentZeke does not divulge to PriorZeke that they are one and the same.. [?] ..also no **stock tips...they just compare life notes versus life aspirations. At least I think that is what AdeptL was thinking.

**My first thought was to mention Apple, Walmart, Google, and Berkshire Hathaway as stock tips to 14 year-old-me.

My second thought was that 14 year-old-me didn't hangout anyplace like a coffee shop. I don't remember being anyplace as a middle-schooler where I could have possibly met PresentMe.

7 people like this

Junior High School Me was too wrapped up in his own headspace to have any real concept of the future - he was convinced he'd be dead long before the age of 25...

7 people like this

Hard to say really, but I have a feeling that the middle age me would think that the current me is lying.

6 people like this

Middle school me would probably be really weirded out by a lot that will happen. First he'd probably think that my career is really boring. He wanted to be a zoologist working to discover new species in the Amazon. I doubt he could even fathom what an Information Architecht is, much less want to be one (in middle school I'd only just been introduced to the Apple IIe).

He'd probably agree with me and be appalled that life would one day land him in a suburb in MN.

He would however think the whole TaleSpinner Minis thing and sculpting is pretty cool and likely wouldn't believe it. (Middle school me had a very hard time believing in his own worth.)

8 people like this

According to the speeches at my wedding, I have been wildly successful in achieving Middle School Me's goals.

6 people like this

Edit: An extra line has been added for clarity.

Edited by Adept Legacy
3 people like this

I'd probably just show myself some guitar lessons and tell me to not stop drawing nor programming. I'd figure out the rest.

7 people like this