fanguad

2016 Secret Sophie / Winter Exchange

Sorry, everyone. I'll be packing for an early spring move. No overachieving coming out of the Miles household this year. :(

• Like 1

It makes me sad that we've reached a point that we need to send WIPs to the organizers.... but then I sometimes don't start painting until 3 or 4 days before the deadline unless inspiration hits me sooner..

• Like 7

I got the idea from another Secret Santa type exchange and thought it was a good one.  I try to refine and improve the guidelines with every new exchange, and it's my hope that adding WIPs halfway through makes the exchange better for everyone.  I'm always open to ideas that people may have to improve the exchanges.

• Like 8

the WIP is sort of neat in that you can see what other people are working on.  Sometimes I miss the pics on the final products and I always enjoy seeing everyone's work... and occasionally, their sense of humor. 

We currently have about 20 people, with only a few days left to sign up.  Remember that you can sign up just for the gift - if you're on the fence, that's a great way to participate without spending tons of time.

• Like 4

I got the idea from another Secret Santa type exchange and thought it was a good one.  I try to refine and improve the guidelines with every new exchange, and it's my hope that adding WIPs halfway through makes the exchange better for everyone.  I'm always open to ideas that people may have to improve the exchanges.

I think it's a fantastic idea! It gives my brain a pre-deadline deadline to focus on, since I'm another person that seems to need to be in a deadline-induced panic to get my best work done. :lol:

Speaking of which, I finally just now submitted my questionnaire.... :ph34r:

Oh, also I think the inclusion of email/phone number is also wise.

Excited! :bday: This is my first painting exchange in over a year!

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

• Like 7

After a couple of last-minute entries, the final count is 29 participants.  We'll be getting assignments out over the next few days.

• Like 8

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Auberon
      My partner this time around was Clearman.  He requested a heroic character painted heroically, and nothing says heroic quite like the word "Hellknight."  Of course, I haven't actually played the adventure(s) that Pathfinder Hellknights appear in so maybe they are cuddly people.  We'll say she just finished up a heroic day of undead slaying.

Metals are TMM, which my camera hates, but I think I managed to get a few decent shots.  For something different I painted the base using pigments rather than hobby paints. I used the wet method of applying them and the color shift is huge, so I wasn't sure how they would come out until they dried.  Of course you can be intentionally sloppy because any pigments on the mini's boots just help "tie the figure to its base." I freehanded some wood grain onto the shaft of the weapon just to add some interest to the boring space.

• By Guildenstern
      Spoilered for my Exchange partner:

• By Inarah
      Any interest in a new round of trading cards? 

What is an artist trading card (ATC)? 
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artist_trading_cards

Artist trading cards (ATCs) are miniature pieces of art that are traded around the world. Artists create, trade and collect art at organized "swap" events, either in person or online. The only official rule for ATCs is the size: 2.5" x 3.5". Most swaps are open to any media, materials or techniques as long as the card fits into a standard trading card sleeve.

http://www.tinteddy.com/introduction-to-atcs-what-are-artist-trading-cards/

If I can get 6 or more people I will set up a round of 1-1 trades for forum members. Post here or PM me if you'd like to participate.  I am thinking of an Oct 1 start date and Dec 1 due (in the mail) date. 

• By Kangaroorex
      well, he finally made it out of the house!  My exchange is officially in the mail.

My exchange partner had asked for something futuristic and something either goofy or scary, so of course I went with ludicrous.  What do you give the giant demonic poisonous spider that has it all?  high tech lasers and missile launchers!  I have been building and painting some of my eldar pieces and decided that they could use a mascot.

As for things I haven't done in a while.  I have started to play with decals again as a way of adding some interest to my larger grav tanks and space ships so I thought I would add a few here for fun.

The weapons pack is removable if my partner wants to use him as a basic giant spider (actually I got a few complaints from the arachnid union when we discussed permanent attachment...)  there are to pointy pins that attach the weapons pack to the back of the spider (bones material does have its uses.

So here is the Mark I demonic assault spider.  I hope everyone enjoys him!

• By Cyradis
      I painted this one in Fall/Winter for @Jay for the 2017 Secret Santa. He said he was playing a martial artist in a tabletop campaign, so I gave him "Bruce Lee". Bruce Lee has some classic yellow and black pants, so I changed the black for red for flair. To avoid ketchup-and-mustard (and the original pants color is Mustard Yellow), I popped some doodles onto the belt. I did intense shading on the skin to make it clear that the dude is made of muscles. The yellow is shaded with Arbuckles Brown from Scale 75, which is pretty much a brown-purple, through Reaper Mustard Yellow, to Scale 75 Hykey Yellow, and Reaper Linen White. I kept the base minimal for ease of use in Jay's game, and gave the base some extra sealant, anticipating handling. 

• Who's Online   16 Members, 1 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)