Agreed. If they can pull it off, I'm sure they'll be back on KS. Just look at Reaper, MCG, CMON, FFP, Mantic, Cryptozoic, Petersen Games, Monolith, and other companies that use KS on a regular basis. They're still making good offers on KS after their first project, often with greater amounts of funding. With experience comes fewer mistakes, better relationships with their manufacturer and other logistics, and so on. This translates to money spent on rewards for backers, rather than on mistakes. 

They must have some funding available as otherwise they wouldn't have all those nice renders..... Digital sculpting isn't free, so they've already paid for a bunch of stuff

and if as has been said they're going to be manufactured by Ludofact then they're reasonably secure against a sudden price hike because a Chinese factory owner has just got the contract to make 50 million happy meals toys  and if you want to keep your slot pay up since Ludofact if basically a European company, and dedicated to making board games

• Like 1

Main problem for backers about additional investors in the project is that the creator may put these interests before those of the backers. And if these investors decide to pull out, the project suddenly loses a huge amount of funding, leaving the backers possibly in the lurch. This is what happened to the Battle Royale (?) KS. The Terramynd (?) KS also had outside funding, resulting in a board of investors who created various issues within the project resulting in delays and key members of the project quitting it (or something like that). If you're backing this or any KS, you should ask the creator where their funding is from.

As for miniatures, DM has 20 sculpts unlocked at $380K besides its base game sculpts (20) and expansion sculpts (5) and epic monster sculpts (6). Z:BP had four additional SG sculpts beyond its base game and various expansions (anyone have this number?). I would say that the number of DM sculpts is... on the heavy side but not too unreasonable??? Myself, I've seen enough KS (eg. Torn Armor, Shadows of Brimstone, and Project: ELITE to some extent) to say that, just because you have a render, doesn't mean you have a miniature.

DM will be using Ludo Fact China, not Ludo Fact Germany. I can't find much information about any differences between the two. With DG being Chinese and located closer than overseas game companies, I imagine DG can have *much* better communication with Ludo Fact China, and have more on-site inspections and meetings. :http://www.jamesmathe.com/hitchhikers-guide-to-game-manufacturers/

• Like 1

Can anyone that has backed ask some questions like that are posed here in the comments thread maybe? Comments are for backers only :)

• Like 1

You can contact the creator directly with the Contact Me button on the KS home page.

Was there anything else good to know in addition to their response to Sammy's question? Definitely ask them questions you want answered and post the results here! TIA!

I dropped out but I'm back in. Weak.

I just hope they can manage the shown quality for the minis in mass production, and this doesn't become another 'Elite'.

What questions would you like me to ask?

• Like 1

Awesome didn't notice the contact link. It is so small compared to the other elements of the UI. I threw out a question if they can offer some insight as to why this will work, where a lot of first-time publishers end up not being able to deliver, even though their intentions were of course very much to do so. If I get a reply I will post it.

They must have some funding available as otherwise they wouldn't have all those nice renders..... Digital sculpting isn't free, so they've already paid for a bunch of stuff

Eh, I don't know.  Do you remember the notorious Doggerland prehistoric mammals Kickstarter that was a genuine scam by an actual con artist?  That started with some quite detailed digital renderings.

The presence of digital renderings is not proof of adequate resources.

• Like 2

Eh, I don't know.  Do you remember the notorious Doggerland prehistoric mammals Kickstarter that was a genuine scam by an actual con artist?  That started with some quite detailed digital renderings.

The presence of digital renderings is not proof of adequate resources.

While that is true, this is a completely different situation. It isn't really even fair to compare the two.

While I agree the situations are different in that the project creators Pingo is referencing never had any intention of fulfilling their kckstarter, I don't believe that is the case here.

However.

I still believe Pingos point of new creators and renders is a good one.

Torn Armor and the Creature Casters kickstarters are two that come to mind that would be better examples of those concerns.

I'm seeing some of the same things here but I do think the creator has the best of intentions. I just have a concern with the renders and potential over promising.

• Like 1

Do you remember the notorious Doggerland prehistoric mammals Kickstarter that was a genuine scam by an actual con artist?  That started with some quite detailed digital renderings.

I also remember Shadows of Brimstone. Not only did the miniatures lack detail, you had to assemble them. Truly the WORST miniatures I've had the displeasure of painting. That also started with detailed digital renderings.

We don't know the project management experience of the staff of Diemensional Games, and they have said they have not worked on a game before. IMO, Renders and outside funding are very much secondary concerns compared to a company's ability to keep a project within a budget while delivering promised goods, preferably on time. Manufacturing is important, but, again, Ludo Fact isn't managing the project. It's also not like this is the only KS around -- and if Diemensional Games can deliver Deep Madness, they can certainly publish another boardgame. Experience is best gained with someone else's money.

Anyone here live in Los Angeles? I'm sure a visit to their LA office would answer a few questions.

Edited by ced1106
  • Like 1

They aren't all renders in this project, though. I realize that having some as renders only is still concerning, but this project does have a decent amount of physical minis as well. They have been showcasing them for months.

• Like 1

That's true, but Prodos showed off physical miniatures, then took 3+ years to deliver product. Prodos, though, made the miniatures in-house, 

If we're talking 3D printed miniatures, Project: ELITE's first miniatures looked like blobs compared to the 3D prints shown on Rahdo Runs Through It, although the first miniatures were selected for their material rather than ability to hold details, because they would be handled frequently during play. Didn't Journeyman have some complaints about their final vs. 3D printed miniatures, or was that another project?

i thought Deep Madness only had resins to show off? What sort of physical mini's did they show off, exactly?