Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
chaoshead

Chaosheads stuck in the desert this time! (LOADS OF PICS!)

310 posts in this topic

Have you finished up the last rock yet? I look forward to seeing this fabled net I've heard so much about! :upside:

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot :D

3 people like this

13 hours ago, OneBoot said:

Have you finished up the last rock yet? I look forward to seeing this fabled net I've heard so much about! :upside:

Huzzah! 

Hahahaha!  I should REALLY do that today.  It is still sitting on the table right where I put it so that we couldn't play without moving it...good intentions.

3 people like this

Tons of inspiration in this.  Thank you for sharing. 

1 person likes this

This is for @OneBoot

Behold! The Last Rock!  Without the fabled net....

20170515_151616_zpsthonpswl.jpg

This is where I want to attach the Fabled Net.

20170515_151724_zpsrzpvqdc5.jpg

Behold The Last Rock WITH The Fabled Net!  I really only want the net to hang at the end of the wooden platform, enough for two minis to be able to use the net at the same time.

20170515_151912_zpstgdlg4rp.jpg

20170515_151952_zps6dfoihsy.jpg

The Fabled Net cut to shape and size.  I am not even going to hide it, I was a little worried that cutting this was going to make it unravel.  Thankfully that did not happen and in fact after really looking at this I would hazard a guess that this thing is actually fully tied like a real net.

20170515_152320_zpsd4pyghts.jpg

With the net lying in place I drilled pilot holes into the rock.

20170515_152405_zpszglavjnr.jpg

Pushed skewers into the pilot holes an inch and a half or so deep and cut them flat just a bit above the net.

20170515_152516_zps508qxnqu.jpg

20170515_152624_zps38b7timi.jpg

A drop of glue in each corner to hold in place.

20170515_152929_zpsukscjt2l.jpg

And a small thin line just above the wooden platform to hold it to the rock face.

20170515_152955_zpshhljbcon.jpg

Leave to sit for a few hours while I do other stuff around the house.

20170515_153032_zpsatjoxqbk.jpg

When it's all dry and set in place I gave the two stakes a wash of dark sepia and called it good.

20170515_174220_zpsidx5njqt.jpg

20170515_174139_zpszgv4aecx.jpg

That's it folks, this terrain project is 100% finished!

Thanks everyone for all your feedback, critiques and encouragement along the way.

I hope this helps someone in some way someday.

@Lord_Bryon  Thanks for looking, glad you found something to inspire you here.

10 people like this

CONGRATULATIONS! Of course, it is only finished until you find something else that must be added.

3 people like this

She's a Butte!!

Well done.

2 people like this

On 5/16/2017 at 11:19 AM, malefactus said:

CONGRATULATIONS! Of course, it is only finished until you find something else that must be added.

Thanks malefactus, funny you say that because the boy and I were talking about some of the things that we thought about while building all of this terrain, we decided that MAYBE once we had played a campaign or two of gomo and a year or two had passed that we may revisit this project.

On 5/16/2017 at 4:01 PM, Lord_Bryon said:

She's a Butte!!

Well done.

Thank you sir.  Feels good to get it all finished and stand back and admire our handy work.

3 people like this

Bravo, sir!! Great work all around, and congrats on (temporarily?) finishing it!

1 person likes this

On 5/15/2017 at 6:48 PM, chaoshead said:

This is for @OneBoot

Behold The Last Rock WITH The Fabled Net!  

:lol: Huzzah for Fabled Net! :lol: 

It looks great, and I love the addition of the stakes at the top to hold the net. :)

Huzzah!

2 people like this

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By MojoBob
      I've put together another couple of experimental hills. Number 1 we've seen before.

Hill #2 has a mix of steep, impassable faces and more-or-less flat terraces that a figure could stand on without immediately tumbling down. It's a bit more usable than Hill #1, while still remaining reasonably naturalistic, but to be truly playable it probably needs to be blockier still. Apart from the flock, vegetation is pretty minimal — just a few areas of clump-foliage — and I think I may add a bit more to make it look a bit less... spotty. I may also have to hit it with the airbrush, as the flock looks a bit more pallid than I'd hoped, but I'll give it another couple of days before I do that as it may just be that the PVA holding everything together isn't properly cured yet so it's still a bit white. We've been having some cool, wet weather lately, and that has really slowed things down.

Hill #3 is a two-peak hill; the upper one is steep, with a flat top to allow figures to stand, while the bottom one is much more gently sloped. The slope is still too much for single figures, but vehicles and figures in movement trays will rest there without sliding back down. There's no foliage on here at all except for the flock, which is fine.

The figures are a 15mm WW1 British 18pdr and crew. The tank is my own 3d-printed A1E1 Independent. They're all sitting on a GW "grass" mat that I picked up cheap some years ago, and have never used because it looks nothing at all like grass. I live in a Land of Grass, and I've never seen grass that looks anything like that colour. Add to that the fact that it sheds worse than a cat in moult, and it's just bloody awful.
    • By SamuraiJack

About this project
      PLEASE NOTE: 
      A starter 3D printer begins around $220 (see F.A.Q.) Each pledge level includes all previous pledge levels. The optional $10 Add-On sets shown below can be added to any pledge level by adding the appropriate amount to your core pledge, or select one of the 'Hero' pledge levels that fits your needs. There is no pledge level that includes the 'Prior Kickstarter Add-Ons'. You must add the amount for these sets to whatever pledge level you choose. We do not use an after-campaign pledge manager. All pledges must be in by the end of the campaign. DRAGONLOCK™ is an interlocking terrain system that allows you to create fully modular, multi-level 28mm scale village terrain for your RPG or wargame on your home 3D printer. Each set is delivered in a downloadable .stl format via our online distribution partner DriveThruRPG.com, and once you have the set, you can print as many pieces as you like and never run out or need to purchase more. These terrain sets represent the culmination of over twelve years of gaming terrain design experience.
      Fat Dragon Games is the only 3D printer terrain company that is part of the prestigious DriveThruRPG Community Content program, which includes Margaret Weis Productions, Monte Cook Games, and Wizards of the Coast’s DMs Guild. Our Dragonbite Community Creator program allows YOU to sell your own Dragonbite-compatible terrain designs on DriveThruRPG, RPGNow, and Wargame Vault!
      By supporting us through Kickstarter, you get bonus models that won't be available later, and access to free stretch rewards. We have been in the 'print-and-play' terrain business for over twelve years, and have successfully delivered eight previous Kickstarter projects, so you can pledge with confidence that we will deliver a high-quality product on time.
      FREE STRETCH REWARDS that will increase the size of the terrain offerings will be available to anyone pledging at the 'Realm of the Mountain King' pledge level or higher. Spread the word about this project to your friends and post about it on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, etc., and GET FREE BONUS MODELS as the pledges rise!
      A standard dungeon wall piece costs around $0.40 in plastic to print yourself, far cheaper than factory-made terrain! All of the models shown were printed at 100-200 micron resolution, a common standard on most economical 3D printers. A nice starter printer that can print these files starts around $220 (see our F.A.Q. for more info on printers, printing costs, filaments, and more.)
      Even if you don't currently own a 3D printer, it benefits you to support this campaign now. You can get all of the free stretch rewards, exclusive content in some sets not available later, and have a digital library of village terrain ready to go when you do purchase a printer.
      SPECIAL THANKS TO REAPER MINIATURES for allowing us to use their miniatures in our photos and video! (www.reapermini.com)
      CLICK HERE FOR A FREE SAMPLE SET OF DRAGONLOCK!

We are known worldwide for our attention to the smallest details. Our models feature richly detailed textures by industry-leading sculptors. 
      Our models feature high resolution sculpting detail.  
                                                     PLEASE NOTE: All images that are digital renders are clearly designated as such. We don't want digital renders being mistaken for a real printed model in our previews. 
      Digital render of the 'Wilderness Encounters' pledge level (final design subject to change).  
      Sample layout from the 'Mountain Adventures' pledge level.  
      Digital render of the 'Mountain Adventures' pledge level (final design subject to change).  
      Sample layout from the 'Mountain Adventures' pledge level.  
      Gargoyle brazier model from the 'Dungeon Delve Part 1' pledge level.
    • By eldamir
      Since one of my September goals is to at least start the terrain for Dragons Don't Share, I figured I should get cracking.. I opened the box a couple of weeks ago and after a couple of unsuccessful sessions with boiling / cooling, I resigned myself to basing of some sort.  
      I picked up a slab of hobby plywood at the local hardware store and then proceeded to burn my dremel out trying to use it like a jigsaw.  Since we were in between paydays, any further expenses had to wait.  So, in the interim, I glued the top of the tower together and green-stuffed the spaces..

This morning, I picked up a jigsaw and cut up some pieces.. (you can see the burned wood where I was ruining my dremel)

As a test, I have glued the smallest piece to the wood - I abortively used Contact Cement, which didn't stop the warpage even after it dried.  A Bunch of superglue later, I was ready for a base layer.
      Stormy Grey, followed by a wash of RedStone, followed by a wash of Stormy Grey (to cut the redness somewhat) and a thin wash of Misty Grey.

After all that, I remembered that I had picked up Stone Wash on a whim a while back (after doing Narthrax's rocks maybe?), so after this mess dries and I get done with the kids for the evening, I'll see what that does to it ..

There's a lot of stone here and this is going to take me a good long while to do :)
    • By Silvervane
      Well, I had started Hirst Arts ruined field stone tower in an attempt to build terrain for Frostgrave.  After building some of the wall section, I had a bit of a Cat-trastophy with them.  My cat decided those pieces would look better on a cement floor... in pieces.  Since I posted in the September goals thread that I want to try and finish the building of the tower this month I thought I would post where I was in my progress.  Be warned, my skill are very lacking, as there are several uneven level, but it is a ruined tower.

There are going to be three level inside the tower that are being pressed in an attempt to keep them level. Here is a shot of the pieces apart.

I'll be more than happy to take any advice.
    • By Chrom.xh
      Hello every body, this will be here not to show off anything amazing or impressive. Just something that took me five and a half hours to do. Nothing to impressive or anything like that. Its a fairly simple paint job for this old miniature. It has been sitting on my portable painting desk for many years now, and I felt like it was time to finally paint it. So I could use it in Dungeons and Dragons if I ever played a Dwarf again or just to use in anything with Dwarves in it really. With the new system of being able to upload photos straight to here from a device, it may be a little weird. I have never used the new Reaper system for photos so lets see how it works. I will still be explaining everything to the best of my ability. All of the paints i used besides one were all Reaper Paints. So, lets get started.

Okay, so these four photos are of the Dwarf miniature as a whole. I had to paint over the entire mini with black because it had taken some damage to the prime that covers it. After i had painted the entire thing I let it dry and took the pictures so I wouldn't forget to take them.

Next I painted on the metallic colors that i knew i was going to do and I could see. This included the small amount of Chain mail showing under his massive beard, the large Warhammer and his shiled. These were done first in Shadowed Steel. Then I did the few detail pieces that I wanted in Antique Gold. After I painted those few things I realized that I hadn't painted the Rune Stone he is standing on. So I quickly mixed up a wash of the color... well Stone. I forget who the Stone wash is made by but I added some water and I think Glaze Medium. Chaoshead will yell at me in the comments to tell me i'm wrong since i was using most of his paints. Anyways, I did a couple of coats of the Stone wash and moved on to let that dry for a while.

While I was letting the Stone wash dry I went on to other colors. I pulled the Rainy Grey out to do the fur that lines the inside of his cape, not realizing I had missed some it will show up later. This step was fairly easy when I was painting it on, but then again the entire thing to me seemed easy and I don't really know why.

After the inside of the cape i moved on wards and started to paint Leather. I used Ruddy Leather for anything leather on the Miniature. I started with the gloves then moved on afterwards.

Alright, in these few photos I painted more leather onto his sleeves, belt pouch, boots and the bottom of his Chain mail shirt. This step frustrated me because I accidentally painted over some of the metal, so I had to go back and paint the metallics again. I then moved on to some detail work that may have taken the most time to do... I think.

On the Rune Stone, I used Breonne Blue to add some color to the... Stone. XD I wanted to paint the runes from the beginning of this small project. I think the Breonne was a good choice for the runes in the first place.

Here I had finally painted his massive beard. I used Mahogany Brown for his beard since it was the only one within my small amount of paints that would work. I liked my choice of color for his beard though.

In these three i painted the trim of the cape with the Ruddy Leather. I painted it very carefully to make sure I didn't get any on anything else. I already had to repaint Metallic colors earlier and i didn't want to do it again.

Continuing with the cape i painted it Leaf Green and had to do it a couple of times to make sure it was one solid color.

Painted the face with Tanned Skin and then used Grass Green to paint his eyes. Again this is all just a super simple paint job for this mini and is just meant to be a good, fun, little thing I like to do.

As a final thing to finish this Miniature off was a nice little touch that I thought of last second. I painted the small heart on his cape with Blood Red. 

The Dwarf is done! He is done in all of the simplest ways to paint that I know how. XD If you all enjoyed and have some tips or anything to leave for myself. Please leave a comment and i guess stay tuned to here or another one I post in the future.
  • Who's Online   45 Members, 2 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)