MarigoldtheHalfling

Figurine Came in Mail with Hands Popped Off

Last sunday I ordered Thelgar the Half Orc Barbarian figurine for my brother for our dnd group. When it came in the mail, we took discovered that the hands, which held the axe, were not attached to the rest of the body. At first we thought maybe they were to be attached, with little ball nubs or something. But when removed from the and attempted to attach, we realized that no they just somehow came apart in the shipping. I am very frustrated about the matter and have no idea what to do. I couldn't find anywhere on the Reaper Minis site to get into contact with the people who made the figurine. I'm glad my halfling came in just fine, but I'm very displeased with the fact that the Half Orc was not made well enough to handle being shipped.

Last sunday I ordered Thelgar the Half Orc Barbarian figurine for my brother for our dnd group. When it came in the mail, we took discovered that the hands, which held the axe, were not attached to the rest of the body. At first we thought maybe they were to be attached, with little ball nubs or something. But when removed from the and attempted to attach, we realized that no they just somehow came apart in the shipping. I am very frustrated about the matter and have no idea what to do. I couldn't find anywhere on the Reaper Minis site to get into contact with the people who made the figurine. I'm glad my halfling came in just fine, but I'm very displeased with the fact that the Half Orc was not made well enough to handle being shipped.

OFFICIAL ANSWER:  multi piece model that requires assembly, not a defect.

• Like 7

Most minis in that pose come like that. It would be very difficult, perhapse impossible, to cast a mini in that pose as one piece. It could also be hard to paint it with much of his chest blocked by his axe. There are lots of youtube videos that show how to assemble metal miniatures. Some resin or plastic figures can come in many pieces. Some even come with different arms, hands holding alternate weapons, or even different head options. 

• Like 3

If you're new to the hobby, receiving a multipart figure can be a suprise. I have some minis that are in 20+ pieces (and still just 28-35mm in scale). As said before, it makes it easier to cast. Some poses would be impossible if they weren't multi-part.

Do a Google search for pinning miniatures. There are many YouTube videos and blog articles on the subject.

And WELCOME!

• Like 4

Gluing and pinning can be difficult for very small pieces, but Reaper is generally pretty good about not having connection points be ridiculously small (DarkSword, I'm looking at you!) 

If you really hate assembly, the Bones line generally comes pre-assembled and are easier to get table-ready for new painters.  If you need any help, please take a picture or two and we'll do our best to help walk you through it.  There are a lot of tutorials here:  http://www.reapermini.com/TheCraft and in particular the first one about assembling the spider demon will show a lot of pinning of small joints. 

• Like 1

Welcome to the insanity.

I don't own the Thelgar mini, so I don't know if it'll be OK with just glue(use CA type superglue) or if you need to pin it, also.

Where are you located?

There may be someone nearby that can help you getting started with pinning Thelgar.

There's 'paint days' organised here and there, and there's a map with some of us.

(There's a Pinned thread in off-topic)

Can't hurt to ask, right?

Edited by Gadgetman!
  • Like 1

Thelgar needs to be pinned due to the weight of the axe. You might be able to get away with only pinning one side...maybe.

• Like 3

This was one of the first minis I bought from Reaper, for a campaign I was running at the time.  I remember it took some minor bending to get the parts to line up right.  I just super glued mine, and it is still holding strong! 

• Like 1

Kurz...

03003_w_1.jpg

...is the same way. (I recently purchased Kurz, 03003.)

Miniatures are cast in a mold. The mold has two halves which fold together on a hinge (like one of those waffle makers at a hotel breakfast bar) and swing open to release the new figure.

The open area between the body, the hands, and the haft of the weapon would hook the figure in the mold if the figure was somehow all one piece. (Getting the figure out would mean tearing up either the cast figure or the mold.)

Also, it's easier to get in there and paint if the axe handle is out of the way. ::):

Edited by TGP
  • Like 1

I see that the demise of the Boneyard has removed the parts list from multi-part models, along with the indication of a need for assembly.

There is hope that will return in awhile, someday, in an improved form.
  • Like 1

I'm glad my halfling came in just fine, but I'm very displeased with the fact that the Half Orc was not made well enough to handle being shipped.

There is a disclaimer on the website that the models come unassembled and unpainted. This message appears at checkout.  This was not a case of a mode being made poorly as you imply, this is a case of you not understanding what you were giving money in exchange for.

it's also in their FAQ.

How do I assemble them? For our miniatures that require assembly, you're going to get the best results with some metal snips, superglue (Cyanoacrylate), and a file. Just snip the bit from the sprue, file the nub down, and a little dab of glue should do it. Then prime it and start painting.

I feel like they wouldn't have an FAQ telling you how to assemble models if it wasn't pretty standard for models to come unassembled.

Edited by Dr. Wyrm
  • Like 1

I see that the demise of the Boneyard has removed the parts list from multi-part models, along with the indication of a need for assembly.

There is hope that will return in awhile, someday, in an improved form.

Not to be a downer, but I wouldn't count on it.

• Like 1