I will be building 2 custom 12*9*1 foam storage trays for my metal minis, using foam, felt, foamcore.

Yesterday I applied felt to the first side of the foamcore base. Today I will apply felt to the other side. This will give a sturdy base and something soft for the minis to rest on. Second side is so that I can layer them and worry less about scratching.

Total cost materials glue, 5$ foam, 1$ felt, 1$ foamcore.

Bonus, I have trays that will fit in my fancy Muji storage boxes.

Photos later.

• Like 5

Excellent. I was just pondering how to build carrying cases for my Zombicide and Descent minis. 

Uh. Not much to show yet.
Photos of Muji box, foamcore with felt and an idea of the foot print. I'm hoping that weight when I glue the foam will take care of that gap.
If you live in the US there are tons more options. But where I am I'd have to do crazy bulk purchases 1000 times more than I need.

Apparently these trays will also fit in the 9L Really Useful Box.

post-12970-0-99018100-1476797455_thumb.jpg
post-12970-0-75182500-1476797686_thumb.jpg
post-12970-0-19756600-1476797759_thumb.jpg

Edited by lexomatic
  • Like 4

Things got derailed when my template sheet was more parallelogram than rectangle,and not big enough to adjust. I have found a suitable replacement and things will continue.

• Like 2

So many issues with real life, I've hardly done a thing.

I've finished measuring and penciling my template. Roughly 1.5*1 inch holes 42 per tray.the site is being a pain so photos later.

• Like 1

So I did.

Pre-paint mini for scale though this is just for metal home storage.I'm going to try to build staircases with the template cutouts. Pics later.

• Like 1

I never posted an update with photos. here's a big dump. Thinking about stairs with the cardboard. Anybody have good examples? Anybody have suggestions for squares of upholstery foam?

post-12970-0-03055000-1478805398_thumb.jpg

post-12970-0-46485800-1478805426_thumb.jpg

post-12970-0-79566600-1478805443_thumb.jpg

post-12970-0-76419800-1478805524_thumb.jpg

post-12970-0-43708700-1478805579_thumb.jpg

post-12970-0-45125500-1478805623_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

So here's a few more pics of stuff. The nicer tray is drying now.

Biggest pain was cutting the foam. I went through so many blades. It was relatively neat but sometimes you cut on an angle without noticing so it's a smaller space than it should be. Also sometimes I cut so much further than I thought - foam is pretty tough I guess. Not worth the effort unless you need to save money, or you have a special container you want to fit everything in.

I think it would be better than the utility knife I used. While a foam cutter is cheap I don't really have enough justification to buy one. At most I'll be doing this 7 more times... Which will mean 20 times more minis than I have now in the ratio I buy bones to metal.

I'm not sure how safe minis would be if you intend to transport them in trays like this, but about 3+ would fit in a 9L really useful box.

Edited by lexomatic