nytflyr

So, who is excited about ReaperCon 2017

2306 posts in this topic

I'm losing painting days traveling this weekend.  Going to try and take my travel kit with me to still get my daily hour of painting time in.

3 people like this

7 minutes ago, Mr Melons said:

Ftfy

I think you missed the joke. ::P:

4 people like this

Reminder:

We're turning off the ability to order items - this means admission packages, extra copies of the swag bags, models, paints, etc. AND classes and games. *everything*.

In a few hours, it will no longer be possible to perform transactions via ReaperCon.com for goods or events. 

We have had several cancellations and additions lately, please take the opportunity to see if there is anything else you want to pre-order before we turn it off.

5 people like this

2 hours ago, Corporea said:

one more entry to finish. one more entry to finish.  one more...

I can do this!  yes, power of positive thinking here I come! Must finish diorama!!!

I wish I had only one more. I have 5 to finish, 2 of which are dioramas. Lucking they are all at later stages of progress and I should be able to finish.

5 people like this

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, Guindyloo said:

I think you missed the joke. ::P:

I did....I was making it more house procrastius friendly lol

Edited by Mr Melons
2 people like this

2 hours ago, Guindyloo said:

I don't think there's anything to whine about until you're down to 7 days. ::P:

I've reduced my stress level exponentially by deciding to enter a couple of things I've already painted rather things painted expressly for RCon.  If I finish one of my projects I'll bring it along but I've decided not to stress about it.

6 people like this

14 minutes ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

I've reduced my stress level exponentially by deciding to enter a couple of things I've already painted rather things painted expressly for RCon.  If I finish one of my projects I'll bring it along but I've decided not to stress about it.

But where's the fun in that?!?!

3 people like this

Posted (edited)

7 hours ago, knarthex said:

12 days...

Panicking yet???

I'm actually shockingly calm.

My first ReaperCon, I didn't bring an entry, and, once I understood how the MSP open worked, I regretted it. Later, I started bringing entries, getting feedback, and trying to improve.

This year, I am working on the reverse understanding: If I can't bring anything that (I believe) represents my best work, I don't have to kill myself trying to rush an entry into the contest. It'll be OK, and I can try to aim for having something cool next time.

(I actually have one ordinance piece that I painted for a manufacturer's contest, and may bring along just for fun, but I already know some things that are wrong with it, and would want to try again to make a "serious" entry".)

Edited by klarg1
7 people like this

3 minutes ago, klarg1 said:

I'm actually shockingly calm.

My first ReaperCon, I didn't bring an entry, and, once I understood how the MSP open worked, I regretted it. Later, I started bringing entries, getting feedback, and trying to improve.

This year, I am working on the reverse understanding: If I can't bring anything that (I believe) represents my best work, I don't have to kill myself trying to rush an entry into the contest. It'll be OK, and I can try to aim for having something cool next time.

That's... Actually... A good idea... 

7 people like this

Just now, Crowley said:

That's... Actually... A good idea... 

Maybe I'll try to compose it as a zen kōan, and put it on a t-shirt. ::D:

I've actually been doing a surprising amount of tabletop painting this year, which, on top of many Real Life Changes left very little time for competition painting/practice. I need to work on balancing the two.

6 people like this

15 minutes ago, klarg1 said:

As a non-entering first-timer, uh, what? Have I missed something here?

2 people like this

1 minute ago, lazylich said:

I have been bringing contest entries to every ReaperCon aside from my first one. I am trying to make peace with not having a worthy entry for this year.

Having had the experience, I do not feel much pressure to bring an entry for its own sake - only if I think it represents my best effort. (and therefore, the most relevant possible feedback from the judges)

4 people like this

2 minutes ago, lazylich said:

The contest entries are judged on their own individual merits and after judging occurs, the judges are available to speak to and get feedback from. 

The ones that get Golds are able to be judged against other golds for Sophie’s and there’s also the best in show voted on by the attendees. 

7 people like this

Further translation, a lot of people think that it is pointless to enter the painting competition because "there are so many awesome painters in it and all the competition....what chance do I have?". Or they think "aww man I don't have what it takes to enter anything so I won't". When in actuality, your main competition is yourself and your ability.  When those people find this out, regret tends to set in.

5 people like this

Alas, this year I'm feel I'm falling into the camp of thinking none of my work represents my best work to date.  I still plan to bring some entries, I'm just not going to stress the results. 

3 people like this