Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nytflyr

So, who is excited about ReaperCon 2017

784 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, hungerfan said:

Try almost 44 years.  I am ready to move whenever the wife says it is time to go.

And here I am looking to snowbird there when I retire.  I'd like a nice little place/condo/whatever in the Port Aransas area to spend the winters at (that is if it is not under water by then).

3 people like this

PA was very nice even if the beach was a bit scary with all the stuff that washed up.  Traveled down there with family 2 years ago and spent the night and walked the beach the next morning.

I guess living where I do is nice because Reapercon is my only event I really do (besides poker events up in OK) and I can just go home to sleep once done. :)

17 hours ago, Grayfax said:

Mostly you're just jealous of those of us that live here.  It's ok.  We accept your tribute when you come to ReaperCon.  Even Drow coins are accepted (with gloves and magical protection, of course).

16 hours ago, knarthex said:

Lived in Texas for 2 years, 

So no, not at all jealous...

15 hours ago, hungerfan said:

Try almost 44 years.  I am ready to move whenever the wife says it is time to go.

47+ years here. More than ready to move. Great White North looks better every year.

3 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

And here I am looking to snowbird there when I retire.  I'd like a nice little place/condo/whatever in the Port Aransas area to spend the winters at (that is if it is not under water by then).

Snowbird? Guessing you mean "settle."

Port Aransas is nice, except in March - April with the Spring Breakers. Or during hurricane season. Or when the jellyfish are swarming. Plus it's more expensive since it's a tourist trap.

Try Harlingen. It's close, but not directly on the coast, is on the Colorado Arroyo which has great fishing, and not as expensive.

5 people like this

Snowbird is what they typically call retired people who live in the North in the Spring-Fall and migrate to the South for the Winter Months.  I'd like to move to TX from Late October-February.  There is no way in hell that I could live down there year round though.

As for Port Aransas being touristy, that is surprising to me as it decidedly wasn't last time I was there, but then that was 25 years ago now.

I want to be somewhere I can surf-fish in the ocean and do a lot of birding.

6 people like this

Harlingen is very close to South Padre Island/Port Isabel (maybe 30 minutes). Port Aransas/Corpus Christie is about 2 hours-ish from there. Plenty of areas around for fishing and birding... large & small mouthed bass, crappie, catfish, spotted bass, white bass, and striped bass aplenty. Once caught about 20 spotted and a half dozen cats in a few hours of fishing off a friend's pier there. Cleaning them took forever!

On South Padre, shore fishing, you can get some very nice flounder and hardhead cats. Look out for gars, though. Haven't tried deep sea there.

There are some bird sanctuaries in the area and some musuems. Not sure if the Harlingen Air Force (WWI & II planes) is still there, though. IIRC they moved.

4 people like this

you know, the NC coast has some fantastic birding...and beaches.  I even found some lesser black backed gulls up near Hatteras one year!  And of course, we win when it comes to woodpeckers in our sandhills.  I remember our avian biology class field trip to southern pines where I actually got to see several red cockaded woodpeckers!  We played the bachman's warbler song and coaxed a territorial male out as well!  good times!

5 people like this

1 hour ago, TaleSpinner said:

Snowbird is what they typically call retired people who live in the North in the Spring-Fall and migrate to the South for the Winter Months.  I'd like to move to TX from Late October-February.  There is no way in hell that I could live down there year round though.

As for Port Aransas being touristy, that is surprising to me as it decidedly wasn't last time I was there, but then that was 25 years ago now.

I want to be somewhere I can surf-fish in the ocean and do a lot of birding.

I would imagine that from October to February, Port Aransas is decidedly un-touristy.  Most people want the beach in the hot hot sun.  Of course, we always like going to the coast where the humidity feels lower than our normal.  I'm sure it's not but it feels like it with the ocean breeze.  Of course, we like Galveston, but that's because my wife and I took our Honeymoon there.  It has changed so much since the last big hurricane.  I expect it will again before I leave this great big blue marble.  Not sure what there is about it, but I can just sit and watch the ocean for hours.  Probably because it isn't a towering skyline of massive pine trees.  If you time it right, you can swing through our east Texas pines and visit the garden capital of Texas in full Azalea bloom (late February to early March).  And of course, you have front loaded it with ReaperCon.  

6 people like this

Posted (edited)

16 hours ago, Grayfax said:

I would imagine that from October to February, Port Aransas is decidedly un-touristy.  Most people want the beach in the hot hot sun.  Of course, we always like going to the coast where the humidity feels lower than our normal.  I'm sure it's not but it feels like it with the ocean breeze.  Of course, we like Galveston, but that's because my wife and I took our Honeymoon there.  It has changed so much since the last big hurricane.  I expect it will again before I leave this great big blue marble.  Not sure what there is about it, but I can just sit and watch the ocean for hours.  Probably because it isn't a towering skyline of massive pine trees.  If you time it right, you can swing through our east Texas pines and visit the garden capital of Texas in full Azalea bloom (late February to early March).  And of course, you have front loaded it with ReaperCon.  

Yoiu can take some from Georgia and Florida's humidity.....we have plenty. No really....take it please?

Edited by Mr Melons
5 people like this

On 3/26/2017 at 1:44 PM, Mehman said:

So what stuff do I need to bring to the convention - other than the usual: clothes, body armour, a melee weapon of some sort, etc? I don't plan on entering anything into a contest if that helps narrow things down. I guess I'll bring Carcassonne incase anyone has to get a Euro-lite tile game with meeples fix (like me).

Your full (travel) painting kit.  With, as I understand, the paints you might want to use.  Cause I think Reaper is no longer putting out paint for attendees.  Or you can probably buy them there.

3 people like this

There is always table paint from other attendees. Most years, people are willing to lend you some if you in need.

6 people like this

39 minutes ago, haldir said:

There is always table paint from other attendees. Most years, people are willing to lend you some if you in need.

It means we have an excuse to buy more paint.

7 people like this

On 3/26/2017 at 3:27 PM, knarthex said:

but people tell me that I talk to much on the hangouts....

:wub: It keeps the hangouts fun! 

Unrelated, we all need a relaxing fishing weekend down here! ::): 

Back to Reapercon, we don't pay the hotel until we're there and it's easily cancelled with no fees, correct?

We're not sure if we're going to be looking for roommates or if we've convinced a friend to come to ReaperCon with us. ::D: 

6 people like this

1 hour ago, Morihalda said:

Back to Reapercon, we don't pay the hotel until we're there and it's easily cancelled with no fees, correct?

Correct. You're just making a reservation. 

4 people like this

2 hours ago, Morihalda said:

We're not sure if we're going to be looking for roommates or if we've convinced a friend to come to ReaperCon with us. ::D: 

From personal experience (we tried to find a roommate last year but couldn't)  do not wait until the last min (anything later than August) as there is a good chance everyone that was needing a roomshare has usually found it. We decided to just cover the cost in the end, especially since it meant we wouldn't have to worry about our snoring keeping others awake.

5 people like this

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, Morihalda said:

The melt table is pretty close to a fishing activity (just dive in and fish for parts), but seeing the excited crowds that gather around it, it's not exactly a relaxed environment.

More like a shark feeding frenzy.

Edited by Cranky Dog
7 people like this