nytflyr

So, who is excited about ReaperCon 2017

828 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Reaperbryan said:

Anybody interested in running a Speed Paint, including but not limited to Sophie Says, or other variations of "sit at this table for 45 minutes and paint a mini, oh and these are the 'rules'" where Reaper provides the models and paint, please send me a PM. I want to get started adding those kinds of things to the games schedule.

I'm interested but not sure if it would interfere with any potential classes I will take.

1 person likes this

14 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

15 hours ago, Reaperbryan said:

Anybody interested in running a Speed Paint, including but not limited to Sophie Says, or other variations of "sit at this table for 45 minutes and paint a mini, oh and these are the 'rules'" where Reaper provides the models and paint, please send me a PM. I want to get started adding those kinds of things to the games schedule.

I'm interested but not sure if it would interfere with any potential classes I will take.

To go along with what Dilvish said, I'm assuming that any potential volunteers would know of thier 'work' schedule before classes and games came out, so they could manage things appropriately. Or is that a bad assumption?

Posted (edited)

Not everyone attends any classes at all. Plus, every time I make assumptions about what you (collectively) will and will not do/like, I'm wrong. So I'm throwing it out there. I would greatly appreciate anyone who knows they are running games/events and is less concerned about classes to contact me so I can beta test my improved games sign-up. 

My #1 & #2 priorities this week (other than KS logistics, which consume about 3 hours/day for me personally at this point) are the games submissions working and integrated into the system, and the volunteer schedule/sign up (which is a new feature we've needed and not had).

Other priorities for ReaperCon site include: food items and tickets purchasable before classes go up, further improvements to the classes page, including easier to find and read descriptions, revisions to the printed itineraries you may print to make these more useful for you, an option for a mobile itinerary if you're logged in and using your phone, finalize and complete Exhibitor/Vendor sign up (currently in beta testing, should be live soon), and create a FAQ, with an emphasis towards first-timers, but also some "what's new for this year" kind of Q&As.

I'll be starting a new thread to discuss the FAQs with you all, please do not bury those extremely helpful responses in this thread.

Edited by Reaperbryan
8 people like this

With the new FAQ thread, I tried to remember what all I was wanting to know about when last year was going to be my first year and I'm glad I have a thread that I was asking it all in so I could go back and re-read it.  Turn out this will be my first year, but I almost feel like I have gone before because of experiencing vicariously last year and being involved in the forums all year.  Not that I've even been on the forums for a year... like maybe 9 months now, but still.  Some of my old posts were cringe-worthy, but we all have to learn somehow...

5 people like this

Since we can't chatter there... I'll drag this over here:

1 minute ago, haldir said:

There is some shady character following me all over the Con. Who should I talk with to deal with them.

Relax, that towering Drow is Knarthex and he's pretty friendly... 

9 people like this

3 minutes ago, Grayfax said:

Since we can't chatter there... I'll drag this over here:

Relax, that towering Drow is Knarthex and he's pretty friendly... 

Sadly this has happened at ReaperCons of Past. Not to me, but to a fellow Con-goer. Good info to have just in case.

Yes that Drow fella is pretty friendly, ate some red meat with him Sunday night of ReaperCon last year :lol:

7 people like this

Uh unfortunately yeah, that's one that does need to be answered. What to do if people were inappropriate. :angry:

4 people like this

@TGP, the chair question is important for me, thanks for asking it. I added another because I'm considering what to bring. If I can't bring my own comfy folding chair, then walker with seat it is.

1 person likes this

14 minutes ago, Morihalda said:

Uh unfortunately yeah, that's one that does need to be answered. What to do if people were inappropriate. :angry:

I'm sure that Reaper has a response plan for this, but feel free to find me (and probably ChaosWolf and knarthax as well).  We, uhm, handle conflict fairly well...

9 people like this

34 minutes ago, Aryanun said:

@TGP, the chair question is important for me, thanks for asking it. I added another because I'm considering what to bring. If I can't bring my own comfy folding chair, then walker with seat it is.

You're welcome. 

I went back and edited it a bit (and explained why at some length).

I had my own reasons to ask that one. :ph34r:  

3 people like this

2 hours ago, Morihalda said:

We have a harassment policy (and this will be mentioned in the FAQ. 

https://reapercon.com/policies

It's the first bolded section following the legalese about us revoking passes if you're a bad egg. Correct answer: you report it at the soonest possible opportunity to a staff member and let us deal with it, including but not limited to police involvement. 

2 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

I'm sure that Reaper has a response plan for this, but feel free to find me (and probably ChaosWolf and knarthax as well).  We, uhm, handle conflict fairly well...

Absolutely not. I'm aware of at least one incident last year and it was reported, and we handled it, and I was told by Ed that the victim(s) of the incident were satisfied with the resolution. Allow me to perfectly clear that regardless of the personal code you think you are adhering to, vigilante justice will not be tolerated. You let us handle it, and if we find out that you took violent action against another guest your attendance privileges may be revoked.

I should add that in exceptional situations, a report to other authorities is fine, a call to 911 in a dire emergency is perfectly appropriate. However, if someone does this, please make every effort to notify staff as soon s possiblee, because you had better believe the authorities will have questions for us also, and we need to at least understand what authorities are about to show up lights flashing and why.

11 people like this

We've opened Games & Events submission, (https://reapercon.com/games_policies) and thanks to 3 eager volunteers I'm satisfied enough that the system works well enough to open up.

You can see on the Schedule (https://reapercon.com/schedule) the events that have already been submitted by those forum members kind enough to beta test the system for me so I could find bugs. We will be updating these as submissions come in. While I am perfectly aware many of you want to wait to commit until you see what classes you might get, we are going to do our best to get the ball rolling here.

8 people like this

On 4/10/2017 at 2:06 PM, Reaperbryan said:

We have a harassment policy (and this will be mentioned in the FAQ. 

https://reapercon.com/policies

It's the first bolded section following the legalese about us revoking passes if you're a bad egg. Correct answer: you report it at the soonest possible opportunity to a staff member and let us deal with it, including but not limited to police involvement. 

Absolutely not. I'm aware of at least one incident last year and it was reported, and we handled it, and I was told by Ed that the victim(s) of the incident were satisfied with the resolution. Allow me to perfectly clear that regardless of the personal code you think you are adhering to, vigilante justice will not be tolerated. You let us handle it, and if we find out that you took violent action against another guest your attendance privileges may be revoked.

I should add that in exceptional situations, a report to other authorities is fine, a call to 911 in a dire emergency is perfectly appropriate. However, if someone does this, please make every effort to notify staff as soon s possiblee, because you had better believe the authorities will have questions for us also, and we need to at least understand what authorities are about to show up lights flashing and why.

The policies page makes several references to the hotel convention area..... Thought you might like to know

4 people like this

Looking at flights in anticipation of booking & my choices are limited with United out of the picture now (no need to put this post in Beekeepers ::P:). Oddly the cheapest still remains American & a nonstop flights both ways. I did AA last year to get down to Texas & I loved that flight since it got me in around noon, so that one is #1 on the buy chart. It's the return trip I'm not keen on right now. Leaves DFW around 430 pm & I get home around 730 pm (Ontario would mean 830 pm).Granted this does have it's perks 1)Allows me to head down the firepit on Sunday night & enjoy the last night even more. 2) I don't have to get up early, thou it does mean I need to either hang around the hotel till about 1 or 2 or head to the airport after a late check-out. 

I do like leaving early as that gets me home early & I can enjoy the rest of the day with the family, thou if I do that it'll probably be Delta again, so we shall see. Looking at flight prices, that return home flight is running around 20 to 40 dollars more then the AA roundtrip flight.

5 people like this

What time is hotel check-in. I think most are 3:00 pm, so arriving before then might be moot?

I still plan to arrive by 2:00 pm. I want to leave Austin at 9:00 am, and I'll make a stretch-stop in Waco (which is about half-way to Dallas). There's construction (of course) between Salado and Waco which might slow me down, though.

3 people like this